Is this the end of diesel?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Yes
I suppose that would be right!
Again I saw & read a recent study published in the Guardian that indicated a cyclist in London inhaled much less soot/NOx content than the occupants of the car in the traffic jam--even with the doors and windows closed.
TV

DrFeelgood said:
I recall reading many years ago that strenuous exercise in city centre environments was not a great idea.

Ahhh Darwinism and natural selection at work, gotta love nature!

Said the country bumpkin!

It used to be radio waves from mobile phones what was going to kill us all, now it is diesel fumes, what tomorrow? :D

It used to be radio waves from mobile phones what was going to kill us all, now it is diesel fumes, what tomorrow? :D

Nuclear Armageddon - so why worry ?

Nah, it'll be some super bacteria bred by our crazed desire to spray antibactieral solution everywhere.

Hrmmmm, this all looks like hype from the government, nothing's really changed in the past 20 years. :mad:

I've just located the latest DEFRA report available online (from 2011), and all it really confirms is that lots of car manufacturers have been cheating with their emissions figures.

"Considering emissions of NOx as a function of Vehicle Specific Power (VSP) shows that under higher engine load conditions there is a clear increasing emission of NOx for Euro 3–5 diesel cars that is not apparent for older generation vehicles. Indeed, Euro 3–5 diesel cars can emit up to twice the amount of NOx under higher engine load conditions compared with older generation vehicles"

"For diesel cars/vans the RSD suggests that there has been little change in total NOx emissions over the past 20 years or so"

And this little humdinger, suggesting something dodgy has been going on with these Euro-x figures for quite some time:

"The remote sensing data suggest much higher NOx emission factors for Euro 1 and 2 petrol cars than is currently used in the National Atmospheric Emissions Inventory (NAEI)."

https://uk-air.defra.gov.uk/assets/documents/reports/cat05/1108251149_110718_AQ0724_Final_report.pdf

That's not to say we don't need to fix inner city emissions, but looks like the histrionics about diesels are just another nice little money making scam.

Thanks for that, excellent article, I submitted part of my wafflings to their 'share your experiences' section.

Interestingly the Guardian was ahead of the curve with home working right back at the turn of the centrury, so I hope they've carried on with that.

And even more interestingly there may be no need to scrap all the current diesel vehicles. It'd decrease their power and potentially adversely affect longevity but remapping them to 'lean burn' by injecting diesel later in combustion and activating the turbo wategate earlier to keep compression ratios low may significantly decrease PM and NOx emissions:

http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.503.3853&rep=rep1&type=pdf

MJ2K
Hey thanks for posting the link!:thumb:
I have seen reference before to it before but not as a full page out description of the thesis.
My immediate thoughts a while ago was to add either propane injection or Nat Gas as a manifold fogging fuel device .
Now I have fitted several of these to Isuzu medium duty trucks with encouraging results.
Again thanks for the link certainly worthy of more thought/contemplation!
TV

This might be a really stupid question, but is it not feasible to have giant underground filters cleaning the city air?

And if not, why not?

Thinking outside the box on this and unfortunately we have a situation whereby some people will perceive, rightly or wrongly that diesel is bad for your health. If you look at all the parents who turn up outside their child's school in their diesel car and let the engine run pumping out all sorts of toxins. It wont be too long before the school gets involved and asked the parents not to do this and the effect will be that diesel car owners will feel alienated and become very unpopular with parents who either have eco cars or petrol cars. So sadly eventually diesel will leave a bad taste in many parents mouth.... literally!!! And this will do further damage to diesel car ownership.

Thinking outside the box on this and unfortunately we have a situation whereby some people will perceive, rightly or wrongly that diesel is bad for your health. If you look at all the parents who turn up outside their child's school in their diesel car and let the engine run pumping out all sorts of toxins. It wont be too long before the school gets involved and asked the parents not to do this and the effect will be that diesel car owners will feel alienated and become very unpopular with parents who either have eco cars or petrol cars. So sadly eventually diesel will leave a bad taste in many parents mouth.... literally!!! And this will do further damage to diesel car ownership.

Hmph, it'll be like the 4x4 rage from a few years ago where you ended up with your car being keyed for no good reason. And then a couple of years later, everyone decided 4x4s were great :wallbash:

And ironically everyone seems to think they're 'banning' diesels from city centres whereas they're putting in penalty charges for all vehicles, petrol or diesel over a certain age. Though I'm quite glad that's slipped under the radar, or all classic cars would be at risk of vandalism.

MJ2K
Hey thanks for posting the link!:thumb:
I have seen reference before to it before but not as a full page out description of the thesis.
My immediate thoughts a while ago was to add either propane injection or Nat Gas as a manifold fogging fuel device .
Now I have fitted several of these to Isuzu medium duty trucks with encouraging results.
Again thanks for the link certainly worthy of more thought/contemplation!
TV

When I tried propane injection it worked rather well for cleaning up soot on an ancient direct injection turbodiesel with the turbo disabled (thus making it a low compression normally aspirated diesel), though my emission tests were a little on the primitive side :thumb:

Hmph, it'll be like the 4x4 rage from a few years ago where you ended up with your car being keyed for no good reason. And then a couple of years later, everyone decided 4x4s were great :wallbash:

And ironically everyone seems to think they're 'banning' diesels from city centres whereas they're putting in penalty charges for all vehicles, petrol or diesel over a certain age. Though I'm quite glad that's slipped under the radar, or all classic cars would be at risk of vandalism.

Hmm - don't they still have the exemption for historic ( tax exempt ) vehicles ( because there are so few of them they make no real difference to pollution levels ) and this was made standard across Europe when LEZs were introduced .

Just saw this article. What an utter twonk he is!!

I suspect that most of those driving super cars are probably already paying 40% in income tax so the government aren't doing badly out of them as it is.

Also, £1k to scrap a diesel? I think this is somewhat delusional as even an old car like my E320 is work three times that. I suspect though, that ironically many diesel cars that are driving around London are fairly modern and worth a lot more. No scrappage scheme will change that.

Aye, 1 grand wouldn't even give me a deposit on a decent car, even if I was prepared to get into debt.

Give me what my car is worth NOW, say 9k, and I'll happily swap it for the petrol version. If not I guess I'll just have to live with not taking into a city centre...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom