Is this the most unroadworthy car?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stratman

MB Enthusiast
Car
W203 C200 CDI '04Estate
Man drove car sitting on bucket and steering with pliers

Another said it "gives a whole new meaning to the word bucket seat", while other tongue-in-cheek comments included someone calling it "ingeniously unbelievable".

One person commended the driver on a "nice bit of kerb parking", considering he only had a pair of locking pliers to steer it neatly to the side of the road.

I drove a Series 1 XJ6 on open pipes to the exhaust shop but I did ask the police first. They said strictly speaking you shouldn't but as long as you don't take the ****...

There was just the one underpass on the route :cool:

nigh on 30 years ago I drove a Yugo 45 with a string attached to the throttle butterfly as the accelerator cable had snapped/.

nigh on 30 years ago I drove a Yugo 45 with a string attached to the throttle butterfly as the accelerator cable had snapped/.
The string was perhaps the best-engineered bit of the car.

My first car was a Triumph Herald, which some of you now has the body shell bolted to the ladder frame chassis.

My dad drove it home and reported that something was wrong with the brakes as the car did not seem to slow down...a subsequent inspection revealed that there were only 3 bolts holding the body work on (there should have been 16). Clearly the body was moving on the ladder chassis.....

The Yugo was alright, it was cheap to run based on a Fiat. At the end of its life though it couldn't do more than 50, with smoke pouring out of the rocker cover. What can I say, I was a penniless student. Well, relatively penniless, I actually did loads of temp jobs but spent the money on the important things like discounted student union beer and pizza

Reactions: 219
As a teenager I worked for a garage, one day the boss asked me to take a Morris 1000 Traveller across town to swap it for a Bedford camper van. This was the 80s believe it or not.
The Morris had a very stiff clutch and hoping for a slick change up to top gear I used the steering wheel for leverage on the pedal only to discover that the nut holding the wheel on was missing.
The bloody thing came off in my hands, I had to realign the wheel with the splines while on the move.

I had a row when I got back to base as the evidence of my enthusiastic cornering was evident in the camper as all the drawers and cupboards were wide open.

Bit surprised the boys in blue made so much fuss, it was in Norfolk after all.

My first car was a Triumph Herald, which some of you now has the body shell bolted to the ladder frame chassis.

My dad drove it home and reported that something was wrong with the brakes as the car did not seem to slow down...a subsequent inspection revealed that there were only 3 bolts holding the body work on (there should have been 16). Clearly the body was moving on the ladder chassis.....

I once had a Herald 1200 which I was dragged along to see by a pal who was a Herald enthusiast . The asking price was £40 and it turned out my mate was £40 short of that price , so muggins ended up buying the thing on the understanding that he was going to pay me for it when he had the cash .

Of course the money wasn't forthcoming so I ended up keeping it and running it for the few months the MOT had to run . How it came to have an MOT I'll never understand as the side rails turned out to be rotten , then one night whilst going round a corner , the nsr outrigger let go from the main chassis leg and the back wheel came out complete with the half shaft !

I managed to jack the car up and push it back in , tying it up with some twin & earth electrical cable I had in the boot , then very gingerly drove it the short distance home . Once I got there , I removed everything I could of value , then took it the mile or so down the road to the local scrapyard and removed the wheels , steering wheel , number plates and left it outside the gate for them to find in the morning .

We did have fun after unbolting the roof and driving about without it in the summer - until I got caught in a downpour with no roof ...

I once drove a car to the body shop for a complete respray (I converted it from silver to white), then removed every bit of trim including windows, door handles, and both headlamps and rear lights clusters etc, and left it with the body shop.

On collecting the car, they refitted the windows and door handles but not any of the lamps... I drove it home with the lamps in the boot (no headlights, indicators, or brake lights...) and refitted them on my drive. I was young and foolish...

Now there’s no MOT for older cars, will there be more of this kind of thing? Who’s to stop you driving an old car with important parts missing or defective...?

Now there’s no MOT for older cars, will there be more of this kind of thing? Who’s to stop you driving an old car with important parts missing or defective...?

Er the Police applying Construction and Use Regulations under Section 8 of the Road Traffic Act etc etc!

The electric fuel pump packed in one night in my Austin Cambridge.
I rigged up the manual screen wash pump and got the missus to lie in the boot pumping up fuel all the way home. Lucky it was only 10 miles but the lass did well.

Worst state car I drove had no seats, the floor pan was gone, doors missing, no electrics, no engine but it had music playing still, and was fuelled by white wine. Yup I was singing Raspberry Beret, walking home from the pub. Oh Happy days :D

One of these actually had an electric fuel pump really?? I'd have thought it was a mechanical glass dome type:

Pretty sure most BLMC cars of this vintage had SU (Skinners Union) electric fuel pumps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom