Is this too good to be true?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rob_miller

Car
2012 BMW 530d M Sport
http://www.autosalesbirmingham.co.uk

Seen this website and listed are plenty of cheap cars. For example 11 plate cls 350 for £15.5k and a e350 for at £8.8k.

What does everyone else think? Too good to be true?

Something not right there. Much too cheap!
Why does every ad have 'Private Sale' in the bumph?

Some strange wording on their website page.

The prestige car lot.

Nope.... this does not make sense at all.

2eltg6r.png

You would think that Autotrader, who built or provided the software for this site to be built through their dealer portal Razsor. Would have some form of vetting process or checks done on traders wanting to advertise.

'Other finance offers may be available but cannot be used in conjunction with this offer. '

I suppose the scam is that the car is not for sale for the cash price, and no one ever qualifies for this special finance offer, so the end price with 'Other finance offers' is much higher.

But I still don't understand what they are trying to achieve - they clearly do not sell the cars at these prices - and clearly any potential customer will walk away pi$$ed off when they discover they can't get the car for this price - so what's their end game?

Curiosity has got the better of me, as I could not find a e-mail address on the site. I have just sent the following text.

" I would like to view the CLK you have on your website, I hope to get to your showroom tomorrow for when you open at 9.00. Can you confirm the car is on site and ready to view."

with in seconds I got a reply

"sorry its a mistake in the add".

I replied,

" Ok can you explain what the mistake is, is it the car or the price.

The reply

" There is no car"

I replied,

"Ok thanks, I also like the E350 in White, is this available to view tomorrow"

The Reply

"NO"

I Replied

" Do you have any of the cars advertised as I like a few on the site or am I wasting my time coming to view them."

They replied,

" Ring me tomorrow"

Firstly I have never known a car dealer respond so fast (has to be a scam just for that, lol) even at this time of night. The responses were almost instant.

Secondly I will now have had my mobile scanned and will have a a massive bill next month with calls to some god forsaken place, reverse charged :wallbash:

Secondly I will now have had my mobile scanned and will have a a massive bill next month with calls to some god forsaken place, reverse charged :wallbash:

To withhold your caller ID for a single call, dial 141 before the number. It's useful if you have to dial someone whom you think might 'grab' your number.

To withhold your caller ID for a single call, dial 141 before the number. It's useful if you have to dial someone whom you think might 'grab' your number.

Not a lot of use on a text though.

It can't be done from a handset. You need to brand it at the point of submission to an smsc - so you need an account.
Virtually any alphanumeric combination up to 11 characters.
I have some accounts with different networks and it is simple to brand a text.

It can't be done from a handset. You need to brand it at the point of submission to an smsc - so you need an account.
Virtually any alphanumeric combination up to 11 characters.
I have some accounts with different networks and it is simple to brand a text.

I'm sure that I've heard of a website that does this for you, cue endless fun sending mates spurious texts from someone else's number.

Yes, there are legit websites that can do this. It's all pretty straightforward - you get them branded from insurance companies/NHS all the time.

You would think that Autotrader, who built or provided the software for this site to be built through their dealer portal Razsor. Would have some form of vetting process or checks done on traders wanting to advertise.

Whilst they are receiving payment for adverts placed, I bet it is not possible for them to care any less.

I highlighted the issue of cars advertised for £1,000 in the text but are £100 in the price section. They told me they would be resolving it but it still happens.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom