Is This True??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

grober

MB Master
Car
W204 ESTATE
Found a reference to this on Jalopnik. Has anyone found an original source for this?? :crazy: I found this in the gulfnews.com site.

World
United Kingdom
Published: 27/02/2007 12:00 AM (UAE)
'Cars will be seized from innocents under new law'
Evening Standard

London: Innocent motorists in London face having their cars seized under a new law, a watchdog warned today.
Caroline Sheppard, the chief parking adjudicator for England and Wales, raised the alarm about the legislation being "sneaked through" parliament.
She warned that the Transport for London Bill will give town halls powers to seize vehicles without a court order.
No record
Drivers of second-hand cars could have them towed away because of three unpaid parking tickets belonging to previous owners.
Sheppard said: "Your car could be parked quite legally outside your house and because on their list it has notched up three penalties it can now be seized.
"The DVLA [Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency] does not record penalties incurred by a vehicle. Therefore if you buy a second-hand car you have no record of knowing whether it carries unpaid penalties."
Transport for London (TfL) claims the new law is needed to stop those living outside the capital flouting the £8 (Dh58) congestion charge.
A spokesman said: "People can drive in and out of the capital, failing to pay these charges and we have no ability to enforce. It can go through the normal court process, using bailiffs, but that takes a long time. It is the problem of permanent evaders."
However, Sheppard criticised the legislation and stressed that before motorists could appeal against their vehicle being impounded they faced having to pay £180 (D1,296) for each outstanding parking fine, as well as a removal charge of £150 (Dh1,080) and a daily fee for storing their vehicle. Currently councils can normally only seize cars if they have three unpaid fines and are parked illegally.
Sheppard stressed the burden of proof would fall on motorists to successfully argue that they were not responsible for outstanding fines. Town halls will also be able to share details of parking fines.

It sounds like the usual extreme motoring press tactic of exagerating a useful piece of legislation with a scare story.

While not in favour of the evasion of parking/ congestion charge fines this sets a dangerous precedent. How long before you start paying to get your car released from impound for someone else's speeding ticket or improper use of a bus lane etc just because you bought their car ?? ( and there's no way to check this via the DVLA before purchase) The issue was first highlighted by Caroline Sheppard, the chief parking adjudicator for England and Wales according the report.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article1438284.ece

Local authorities are seeking wide new powers to seize vehicles without a court order in a move that could affect thousands of innocent motorists.

A private Bill going through Parliament with minimal debate has been promoted by Transport for London and local authorities in the capital.

The Bill would give councils the right to seize cars, whether parked illegally or not, and impound them for all unpaid road penalties. The authorities would no longer need a court order to seize the car.

The chief parking watchdog said that people with secondhand cars could find them seized and impounded because of outstanding parking tickets incurred by a previous owner.

Caroline Sheppard, the Chief Parking Adjudicator for England and Wales, told The Times: “Your car could be parked quite legally outside your house and because on their list it has notched up three penalties it can now be seized. The DVLA does not record penalties incurred by a vehicle. Therefore if you buy a secondhand car you have no means of knowing whether it carries unpaid

TFL also are seeking the right to enter and search any vehicle one of their genius employees or contract workers "suspects" may equipment fitted to prevent toll charging, tampered toll charging devices or false paperwork.

Wonderful

Interesting read,
Does the car carry the penalty, or the registered keeper? If someone takes, or removes my car without my permission, are they guilty of theft or taking and driving away? If I have not commited any offence and have correctly registered the car is in my name, then what right has anyone to take it?

If the car carries the penalty, then how on earth can a hunk of metal pay a fine? :) :)

It certainly sounds crazy,

John

Interesting read,
Does the car carry the penalty, or the registered keeper? If someone takes, or removes my car without my permission, are they guilty of theft or taking and driving away? If I have not commited any offence and have correctly registered the car is in my name, then what right has anyone to take it?

If the car carries the penalty, then how on earth can a hunk of metal pay a fine? :) :)

It certainly sounds crazy,

John

This is the problem:

"Your car could be parked quite legally outside your house and because on their list it has notched up three penalties it can now be seized. The DVLA does not record penalties incurred by a vehicle. Therefore if you buy a secondhand car you have no means of knowing whether it carries unpaid records.”

So since tolls and charge zones will soon be popping up all over the country buying a second hand car becomes something of a lottery if there is no way to check. Also the small matter of plate cloning becomes more worrying than rude letters demanding money that takes time to get rid of.

Car impounded then you have to pay to get it back/post a bond before even being able to appeal! That is just appalling.

bail bond?

John

It can't pay a fine but with this legislation they can throw it in "jail" till you post "bail" :devil: ;)
Crazy as you say John.

Will this reduce the mountain of un-paid parking fines accrued by foreign diplomats ?

It can't pay a fine but with this legislation they can throw it in "jail" till you post "bail" :devil: ;)
Excellent :D :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom