Is this w124 coupe sportline?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It's got Sportline front springs at least and the wheel size he mentions is correct for a Sportline.

Last edited:
There were no Sportline-badged Coupes. It has the Sports Chassis option

Nick Froome

It is a nice car nonetheless

I'll bet it rides nice on the road too, a non Sportline Coupe. Luxury.
Are they lighter than the Sedan?

Let's get this straight. Sports Chassis ≠ Sportline

Sportline is Sports Chassis plus sports seats, sportline gear knob and sportline badges. If you have a Sportline car you have Sports Chassis

This Coupe has Sports Chassis. It is not a Sportline. AFAIK there were no Sportline Coupes and sports seats were not available in the Coupes. Putting a badge on a car does not make it Sportline, any more than having Sports Chassis does

Sports Chassis was just an option when ordering. You could have it on any W124 as far as I know

Nick Froome

Let's get this straight. Sports Chassis ≠ Sportline

Sportline is Sports Chassis plus sports seats, sportline gear knob and sportline badges. If you have a Sportline car you have Sports Chassis

This Coupe has Sports Chassis. It is not a Sportline. AFAIK there were no Sportline Coupes and sports seats were not available in the Coupes. Putting a badge on a car does not make it Sportline, any more than having Sports Chassis does

Sports Chassis was just an option when ordering. You could have it on any W124 as far as I know

Nick Froome

Most of what you have said here is slightly incorrect.

Cars could be ordered with various Sportline options which varied as to whether the car was an Estate, Saloon, Coupe or Cabriolet.
Common to all of the four body styles was the Sportline suspension (this is how it is listed in the Original MB price list I have in front of me)
You could also order a Sportline Steering wheel which is slighter smaller than the norm which came with a Sportline gearknob.
Cars equipped with the Sportline suspension/wheels have the badges on the front wings.
For the estate and saloon, additionally you could order a Sportline interior which was front seats with more pronounced seat bolsters and rear seats with pronounced bolsters. I had an E320 estate built for me in 1994 which had all the Sportline options on it including interior.
You are correct in saying that the Sportline interior was never available on the Coupe and Cabriolet.

Last edited:
See below.

Last edited:
Most of what you have said here is slightly incorrect.

Cars could be ordered with various Sportline options which varied as to whether the car was an Estate, Saloon, Coupe or Cabriolet.
Common to all of the four body styles was the Sportline suspension (this is how it is listed in the Original MB price list I have in front of me)
You could also order a Sportline Steering wheel which is slighter smaller than the norm which came with a Sportline gearknob.
Cars equipped with the Sportline suspension/wheels have the badges on the front wings.
For the estate and saloon, additionally you could order a Sportline interior which was front seats with more pronounced seat bolsters and rear seats with pronounced bolsters. I had an E320 estate built for me in 1994 which had all the Sportline options on it including interior.
You are correct in saying that the Sportline interior was never available on the Coupe and Cabriolet.

There were only three Sportline options for Coupes listed in 1991. Sportline suspension package £1762.46, Leather steering wheel (390mm) and gearshift £166.25 and sport check design upholstery £181.11. Note that is called Sportline suspension package and not sports suspension. This package included 205/55/15tyres on 8 hole 7J wheels, lower firmer suspension , and more direct steering..

Sportline factory badging was absent in the UK market, but not in others ie USA.

Calling a coupe "Sportline" would seem to most people reasonable provided that it had at least the Sportline suspension package and steering wheel. The sports suspension on its own was only part of the package.

There were only three Sportline options for Coupes listed in 1991. Sportline suspension package £1762.46, Leather steering wheel (390mm) and gearshift £166.25 and sport check design upholstery £181.11. Note that is called Sportline suspension package and not sports suspension. This package included 205/55/15tyres on 8 hole 7J wheels, lower firmer suspension , and more direct steering..

Sportline factory badging was absent in the UK market, but not in others ie USA.

Calling a coupe "Sportline" would seem to most people reasonable provided that it had at least the Sportline suspension package and steering wheel. The sports suspension on its own was only part of the package.

I agree with most of what you have written but when the W124 was refreshed in 1993, the Sportline badges did appear on UK cars certainly Estate, Saloon and Cabriolet and I think the Coupe. The tyre size you have quoted also looks incorrect for the later refreshed cars - the correct Sportline tyre size is 205/60 ZR15 generally a Michelin tyre was fitted at the factory.

The thing is all the above is pre facelift.

After the facelift, things changed.

A couple of small examples: my standard 1995 320 coupe has leather steering wheel as standard.

Also, looking at the workshop manual spec. the later standard cars had lower suspension than the earlier cars, so would effectively be as low as the sportline.

The later convertible 320 cars had 7 inch wide wheels as standard, again like the sportline spec.

So, with later cars it was all very hazy, and the distinction between sportline and standard versions was very fuzzy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom