Is this W210 E320 worth a punt? been unused for a while...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

crammy69

Car
2001 W210 E55 AMG,2010 Fiat 500 1.2,2002 Triumph America,LML Star 125 DLX,1984 C70,2011 Thruxton
Saw this on Ebay and have today spoken with the Trader selling it. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....=270298494657&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=017I understood it has been sitting in a garage for a few years (Garage owners Brother owns the car) but will have an new MOT when Sold. The car has Merc service history up to 22,000 in 2001 and the following 3 years to 2005 was serviced at the selling garage (I'm assuming basic oil change). It now has just 56,000 miles!!!.Other than a couple of arch rust bubbles and a tiny crack in the rear bumper, the car seems very clean and at £2990 (before inevitable discount!) looks like a fine old smoker for a trip to Devon at Easter and Edinburgh in the Summer.So other than Square tyres (hopefully done as part of the MOT) what other issues would arise from it having been pretty unsused ?

Mice? Not kidding, they don't hang around you know!

Corrosion is the obvious one - even if it has lived in a garage.
Rubber will perish so may need new hoses, brake hoses etc.
All fluids will need changing.
I'm sure I'll think of some more things in a minute!

Sorry cant really help but love the number plate, looks a little like HIS DLA - DLA for Disability Living Allowance.

I could think of worse ways to spend DLA!

BTW it does look very clean and is low miles, I'd definitely consider it assuming it's only going to cost about £2.5k must be worth a punt.

Sorry cant really help but love the number plate, looks a little like HIS DLA - DLA for Disability Living Allowance.

(un)fortunately the plate has been removed and its now on a rather plainer 'N' plate!

I'd be cautious of seller giving the car a MoT. If you do buy it with a new MoT, have it retested at a local garage you trust. It's a small amount of money to spend, but then if additional faults are found you have hard evidence to return to the original garage with.

What ever price you pay I'd factor in £500 that will need spending on servicing and replacing parts that have 'died' whilst the car has been unused for so long.

Are you moving on the CE? Don't let the old car jibes get you!

Not sure yet, but the Kids are moaning that its too cramped in the back and therefore my idea of long trips to Devon in it are being dashed. To please my son Im even also looking for an early AUDI TT!.

Ive always liked the W210 since it came out, I was once given a lift to an appointment in an Mettalic Green E240 with Beige leather and thinking it a lovely car.

My Ideal W210 is a late Silver E240 / E320 with Sunroof, Black Leather, Walnut trim, and if really lucky, Command!.

Not sure yet, but the Kids are moaning that its too cramped in the back and therefore my idea of long trips to Devon in it are being dashed. To please my son Im even also looking for an early AUDI TT!.

Wouldn't that defeat the object of gaining 'more room'????

The TT would be 'cooler'. Hence the W210, the TT for when its just me and the boy, and the W210 for family trips with the Mrs and Daughter.

The TT would be 'cooler'. Hence the W210, the TT for when its just me and the boy, and the W210 for family trips with the Mrs and Daughter.

So, they finally got to you...... ;)

I think it's about right if the mileage and history checks out, obviously whatever you can negotiate out of it will help. Should easily double that mileage without much work at all.

I know the mileage is low, but for the same money you could buy a much newer one with a not much higher mileage. I think it is over priced, even at £2.5k.

Personally i think its slightly overpriced IMHO.

It took me ages to sell my E280 which was same age and mileage, 1 previous owner and much better spec for £2200 in summer.

It had a main dealer service history that read like war and peace...

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=55334&highlight=E280

Blimey, that does make this look overpriced, thats very exciting to think I could get a low mileage W210 for that sort of money. :bannana: . I dont have to rush, my coupe passed its MOT with flying colours yesterday, but itd be nice to have before easter.
Cheers!

I would not buy a car that had been sitting unused in a garage for over a year. Ever. (Unless it was a classic and in line for a thorough restoration.)

And some of the worst vehicle I've seen were owned by garage proprietors - often a guarantee of neglect (the tale of the shoes of the cobblers' children comes to mind).

Disclaimer: No-one on this forum would ever treat any Mercedes like a load of cobblers. :)

Cheers Crammy, just keep your eyes peeled, i thought mine would have been snapped up in a flash, but most callers seemed to have concerns re fuel consumption and 6 cylinders.

Only car i regret selling....

To expensive, 14 year old car.

Common saying is never buy a car of a mechanic as they are selling it because its had it, when i see what the blokes do and dont do to their cars i would agree with the saying.

One had his crank torsional damper fall to pieces the other day, then drove it 5 miles to work overheating it severely then welded pulley up and is now going to trade it in!

Lynall

Lynall

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom