Is this windscreen crack repairable?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MB-BTurbo

Car
B200 Turbo
I have spoken to a self employed windscreen repairer who says yes and wants £45 to do it. Kwik fit do them for £30 but say they wont as it isnt repairable. They think that the cracks means its new windscreen time. Who is right?

Crack.jpg

Sometimes if it's too close to the edge it means a new screen, no idea of scale but doesn't look that big so should be repairable.

Be a shame to have it bumped and need a new screen rather than an epoxy fix ;)

How much is the excess to have it replaced ?

Regards to edge, that doesnt seem to be in question. Mainly the small little splinter cracks that run off from the main 2 chips. Kwik fit said that the tiny cracks cant be filled so although it looks better offers no protection from developing into a large crack.

Be a shame to have it bumped and need a new screen rather than an epoxy fix ;)

How much is the excess to have it replaced ?

I would much rather have an epoxy fix than some rubbish aftermarket screen that the insurers choose, bodging the bodywork around the edges in the process. I just dont know from what I have been told whether epoxy would be effective.

I've got 3 of those, none near the edge though and a tiny bit smaller (and I mean a tiny bit). Autoglass said they won't get bigger and aren't worth repairing. They could be repaired according to them though. I was told the finish of the epoxy is an obvious repair (i.e. noticeable especially when driving) and they can't get it completely smooth

I would much rather have an epoxy fix than some rubbish aftermarket screen that the insurers choose, bodging the bodywork around the edges in the process. I just dont know from what I have been told whether epoxy would be effective.

I would imagine you could insist on a MB spec screen (probably Pilkington). Windscreens are an integral part of the car's safety these days.

You do not have to accept anything they decide to give you. You have the right to refuse.

Personally, I'd prefer a new screen. Had one recently fitted to our Golf as a result of a crack - perfect job.

Fortunately for me it is not in eye line. It is just below. I would have thought that an epoxy fix would look better than nothing.

Why wont kwik fit do it then? Are they just not as skilled to do it, make more money from selling complete windscreens or just dont know what they are talking about? They are a lot cheaper (£29) which is frustrating.

I would imagine you could insist on a MB spec screen (probably Pilkington). Windscreens are an integral part of the car's safety these days.

You do not have to accept anything they decide to give you. You have the right to refuse.

Personally, I'd prefer a new screen. Had one recently fitted to our Golf as a result of a crack - perfect job.

Ill see if it says anywhere on my policy how they would replace and with what.

I think I remember seeing they replace for £75 with a windscreen of their choice or I can chose but have to pay £250.

There is always a chance that a smart repair will fail during the repair process and then the screen would have to be replaced anyway. Stuff like that can stay "forever" until one winter's day when the crack will migrate all the way to the edge of the screen. £30 to Kwikfit or £75 to the insurance company for a replacement (non mb) screen? Are we really talking about £45? Unless you really need an MB screen and want to spend time arguing with the insurance company about it, just get a new screen fitted. The difference is £45 and you might have to spend that anyway after shelling out £30.

Both my cars survive happily on non mb screens both acquired for £75 each to directline.

Do rain sensitive wipers work just as well with non MB screens?

Yes, but may need to be adapted using STAR due to slight variation in the tint level. This may also be needed with MB supplied screens

Did know star could do that. Slightly off topic can they remap cars as well?

As STAR is MB's diagnosis system it can restore a ECU map but only with the original MB map

Do rain sensitive wipers work just as well with non MB screens?

There are numerous threads about this. The best I can make out is that the refitting of the rain sensor to the windscreen is the key part of the process. I don't have rain sensors on either of my cars.

You can use a private company to do repairs and they can bill your insurer, I have done this before. For most policys which have glass cover there is no excess to pay for repairs. Try Glass Doctors if they cover your area. Windscreen Repair Not Replacement - Glass Doctors UK | The Windscreen Repair Experts You can always get it replaced after if not happy with the outcome of the repair.

On A/B class the rain sensor has to be replaced by a new one when a new screen is fitted and it needs STAR coding. Richard from comand.co.uk has posted about this previously.

Last edited:
On A/B class the rain sensor has to be replaced by a new one when a new screen is fitted and it needs STAR coding. Richard from comand.co.uk has posted about this previously.

RANT ON
Lol, what a load of nonsense (the situation, not your post). I actually find the sensors rubbish and would much prefer normal intermittent wipers with varying speeds that I can control. As far as I can make out Mercedes have spent money on making something that didnt need doing worse. If they stopped spending money on useless things and put it where it counts then maybe we could buy cars that didnt rust.
RANT OFF

Sorry needed to get that off my chest. :eek:

Can you just pay the excess and have a new windscreen fitted?

That's what I did on my E class when parked on the drive the windscreen was cracked by part of some cement falling off the roof?

Nice new wiindscreen no pitted marks, sensors all working as they should

£50

I doubt that they would pay above and beyond what they need to, i.e. a new sensor fitted.
Its worth a try though.

I nice new screen would be nice but Im nervous from hearing stories on poor fitment and damage to car body.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom