Is Tyre Sealant worth using?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I keep some of those puncture repair strips in the car and then just use the pump. I've repaired a couple of bike ones successfully whist touring in Europe with them

Thank you, ordered mine to replace my sealant kit.

Any advice gratefully received

Do what we did with our new Yaris. Buy a spare wheel.

In fact, it is not a space saver but a second hand one I found in the UK. An exact match for our alloy wheels. Price about £150 including shipment to France.

Problem solved.

RayH

Thank you, ordered mine to replace my sealant kit.
I've had one for a couple of years, used it on the wife's Corsa and on my Fiat Panda runabout and wouldn't be worried in the slightest about using it on the Merc. The way they work once there in there in, they won't come out even at speed. The only thing they could do in my opinion is loose pressure over time but if you do as you should do and check your tyre pressures regularly you would detect that.

Used the strips for years with the glue, no leaks at all. Got a space saver, jack and brace now for the long trips as well as a kit. Bin the foam and the kit will probably fit in the space with a little lecy pump. 😇

I have always worked on the assumption that a tyre plug is NOT a permanent fix.

I know that there are those who will disagree, but I have always worked on the principal that one should have a permanent professional repair done as soon as possible after a roadside plug.

I wouldn’t drive over c. 50 mph or more than c. 100 miles before getting a proper repair or fitting a new tyre.

If you don't seal the inner liner moisture gets into the belts/beads and corrodes from inside which can cause catastrophic failure usually at high speeds.

Many people will disagree because they haven't had problems. The people who say they've used them for years "without problems" can't really say that because they haven't actually cut open the tyre to see if the belts are corroding. It takes time for moisture to damage the belts, and they could be driving a ticking time bomb and not know it.

I've had one for a couple of years, used it on the wife's Corsa and on my Fiat Panda runabout and wouldn't be worried in the slightest about using it on the Merc. The way they work once there in there in, they won't come out even at speed. The only thing they could do in my opinion is loose pressure over time but if you do as you should do and check your tyre pressures regularly you would detect that.
Awesome… I haven’t had a flat for years but I want to avoid the drama about garages not liking sealant kit.

NJSS… These plug kits are only for emergencies, just to get the car to a garage for a true repair or replacement.

I suggest CAUTION.

There are three kinds of tyre repair. They can be fixed from the outside using what’s known as tyre string; mended from the inside using a repair patch; and given an internal repair using a combination of a patch and plug for the puncture hole.

However, the external repair is viewed as being very temporary. At best something to get you home, assuming home isn’t at the other end of the country.

Of the three puncture repair methods, the patch/plug is the only kind of tyre repair that conforms to British Standard BS AU 159, the minimum suggested safety standard.

Source:-

What about these................................
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Your tire fitter will hate you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom