Is 'V8 AMG snobbery' a "thing"?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jukie

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
MY11 E350 CDi Avantgarde
I've seen some comments on various forums including this one which infer or opine that an AMG is only a proper one if it's got a V8 under the bonnet.

Maybe the comments were just leg-pulling and not in the least bit condescending and I'm certainly not pointing fingers.

Are non-V8 AMGs looked down upon as being inferior and not the real thing? 🤔

I've seen some comments on various forums including this one which infer or opine that an AMG is only a proper one if it's got a V8 under the bonnet.

Maybe the comments were just leg-pulling and not in the least bit condescending and I'm certainly not pointing fingers.

Are non-V8 AMGs looked down upon as being inferior and not the real thing? 🤔
A real AMG can have a V12 too. :)

Much as I love the V8s, an A45 is faster 0-100 than a C63, so hardly a poor relation

next gen C63 rumoured to be a 4 cyl (presumably A45 based?) with hybrid, give it another 10 years and we’ll have to add it pure EV to AMG mix

buy your V8 now while you still can, but nothing wrong with other AMG solutions

So long as it has a decently powerful engine under the bonnet, it's an AMG,

It's not quite as simple as that, though, because the AMG should be, or be nearly as fast as, the flagship performance version of the model.

R230 SL55? Yes. R230 V12? Yes.

R231 SL500 AMG? No; too great a performance gap to the R231 SL63.

Historically, most AMG's have had V8s, but that's changing now. It's complicated...

I’ve had a colleague comment on why I bought a C43 and not a 63. There seems to be a bit of the “Engine wasn’t hand made by one man in Affalterbach” thing on Pistonheads. I went to a local tuner and he said that AMG made such a good job of tuning the engine that he could only boost it by 30hp.

If Mercedes want to badge a car as an AMG, I personally accept it for what it is. No point getting hung up on others opinions. Just enjoy your car 👍👌

^ What he said. If the car meets your needs and you're happy with it, that's all that really matters.

The engines aren't hand made (for a given value of 'hand made'...) by one man in Affalterbach anyway, and haven't been for a long time. These days they're made by machines and the 'one man' (or woman) is mostly a glorified machine minder.

My 'Baby' AMG A35 is for me a real AMG in the fact AMG take a std A250 and do a pile of suspension, brake and engine mods. As well as some styling tweaks (Inc AMG steering wheel) Most bigger engined AMGs on a twisty road wouldn't know which way I went. My 600+BHP XFr, is slow in the real world compared to the AMG, especially in the wet.

Much as I love the V8s, an A45 is faster 0-100 than a C63, so hardly a poor relation

next gen C63 rumoured to be a 4 cyl (presumably A45 based?) with hybrid, give it another 10 years and we’ll have to add it pure EV to AMG mix

buy your V8 now while you still can, but nothing wrong with other AMG solutions
I didn’t no the a45 was that fast 0-100 in ten seconds. So it’s nearly as fast as a c63 that does 0-100 in 9.2 seconds in standard form.

I have to say, and this is purely personal preference here, that I dislike the tablet style dashboard that seems to be standard fare nowadays especially in the A45/GLA, as is the smaller engine capacity with turbos crammed into a hatchback shaped body. I would think a proper AMG would have a '55', '63', or '65' on its badge and a full fat V8 or V12 under the bonnet which is why I do not own a new one or any form of EV/Hybrid vehicle. Mercedes getting a bit free and easy with the AMG/AMG Line badging has not helped matters, but does that make them any less fun to own and drive, certainly not. There is a shared appreciation of something genuinely focussed on the petrol heads amongst us :) Enjoy it while you can before they become extinct and/or taxed off the road...

I don't much care for the 'stuck-on iPad' style dash display either, but when I finally grow up (in my dotage...), if that's what the A-class I buy has, so be it.

I find that the majority of people that have anything to say on whether something is a real AMG or not drive a diesel.

That's a sweeping statement. Do you have any facts to back it up?

It’s quite simple. On the official Mercedes website their are 2 tabs. One for AMGs and one for everything else. So, if the bloody manufacturer lists the car under the official AMG tab then believe or not, you have a bloody AMG.

I find that the majority of people that have anything to say on wether something is a real AMG or not drive a diesel

Oh, but again without facts I recall in another post you said .......

"It’s a shame as the perception I had about people who could afford REAL AMG’s (and an SL at that) were clearly educated enough to be in the position to afford such heights on a non-existent social ladder and be well spoken, but this thread gives me the impression it was purchased with a lottery win".

;)

I know mines an AMG as it goes like F.c. and it sounds like a brute. Who cares what other people say or think, if it's got a genuine AMG badge to it, it's an AMG. And mine has that magical 6.3 litre stamped on it so I'm a happy camper :rock:nothing beats that 6.3 noise nothing and you all know it ;):p

Not all cars with AMG badges and AMG wheels have always been real AMGs.
No names ... But ... I know one personally.

Not all cars with AMG badges and AMG wheels have always been real AMGs.
No names ... But ... I know one personally.

Stop talking about me..😂.. OK I put an AMG badge on a diesel. (ying) But I bought a real AMG... Then debadged it. (yang)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom