Is 'V8 AMG snobbery' a "thing"?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Oh, but again without facts I recall in another post you said .......

"It’s a shame as the perception I had about people who could afford REAL AMG’s (and an SL at that) were clearly educated enough to be in the position to afford such heights on a non-existent social ladder and be well spoken, but this thread gives me the impression it was purchased with a lottery win".

;)

That comment on your post was actually about your spelling, but you didn’t catch the joke first or second time around

That's a sweeping statement. Do you have any facts to back it up?

Many, go on the multiple Facebook groups and read the comments when one uploads a picture of their car with an AMG badge on it. It’s rarely an AMG owner moaning about it, it’s always sport owners

:thumb:
That comment on your post was actually about your spelling, but you didn’t catch the joke first or second time around
Ha, that just compounds my stupidity, thanks for pointing it out :thumb:

So long as it has a decently powerful engine under the bonnet, it's an AMG, (no it isn't)

It's not quite as simple as that, though, because the AMG should be, or be nearly as fast as, the flagship performance version of the model.

R230 SL55? Yes. R230 V12? Yes.

R231 SL500 AMG? No; too great a performance gap to the R231 SL63.(nothing to do with it)

Historically, most AMG's have had V8s, but that's changing now. It's complicated...

Facelift R231 SL500 is not marketed as an AMG. It is an "AMG Line" without the AMG tuned engine and other bits. The performance gap has nothing to do with it!

It’s quite simple. On the official Mercedes website their are 2 tabs. One for AMGs and one for everything else. So, if the bloody manufacturer lists the car under the official AMG tab then believe or not, you have a bloody AMG.

Problem is that that enthusiasts still remember AMG when it was a tuning house (that most drivers today had never heard of and still do not understand). Now AMG is a MB owned "badge / brand". For the purists, many of the cars in the "AMG" Tab on the MB website would not qualify as an AMG.

Personally I'd struggle to consider my car an AMG (even if selected from the AMG tab) unless it was a "hand built" (in Affalterbach) & signed engine.

I didn’t no the a45 was that fast 0-100 in ten seconds. So it’s nearly as fast as a c63 that does 0-100 in 9.2 seconds in standard form.
Kph😂
certainly the A45 quicker from a standstill due to its better traction and scary quick across country/on track

Not so worried about what engine is in an AMG so much as the use of AMG-line as a trim option which just devalues the name IMHO

^ What he said. If the car meets your needs and you're happy with it, that's all that really matters.

The engines aren't hand made (for a given value of 'hand made'...) by one man in Affalterbach anyway, and haven't been for a long time. These days they're made by machines and the 'one man' (or woman) is mostly a glorified machine minder.

I've been to the Affalterbach factory and the engines are hand assembled there and each engine does get built by a single individual (also adds to quality control).

Not so worried about what engine is in an AMG so much as the use of AMG-line as a trim option which just devalues the name IMHO
At least MB do not put an AMG badge on "AMG Line" cars unlike BMW with their "M Sport" badges everywhere ..........

Although my SL500 is advertised as an "AMG" I know it's not cos I can drive it without my fillings falling out........

Buy an AMG and remove the badges...

Kph😂
certainly the A45 quicker from a standstill due to its better traction and scary quick across country/on track
You might be along side me in an A45 at the traffic lights.But I wouldn’t be able to here the a45 over the v8 noise. you would over take me eventually but only when I’ve pulled into the shell petrol station to refuel 😁

I personally subscribe to @HB definition of “If it’s on the AMG tab, then it’s an AMG”, but I really don’t mind whether people describe (or badge) their car as an AMG even if it isn’t.

Someone told me that there is definitely no ML Black Series, because the ML is not a track focused car and diesel is not used in racing cars. A good point, it wasn’t but since AMG waved their Black Series magic wand over it it has become a track weapon.

It has AMG seat belt pads, and a signed plaque on the centre console, glovebox, steering wheel, tailgate, grille and both front wings stating that it’s an AMG limited edition. AMG wouldn’t go to such trouble if it wasn’t a real Black Series. They had no answer to that.

Oh, but again without facts I recall in another post you said .......

"It’s a shame as the perception I had about people who could afford REAL AMG’s (and an SL at that) were clearly educated enough to be in the position to afford such heights on a non-existent social ladder and be well spoken, but this thread gives me the impression it was purchased with a lottery win".

;)
The thing is...we can have very heavy threads and a right old barney...but then the next day in the next thread...all is forgotten. OK?

Although my SL500 is advertised as an "AMG" I know it's not cos I can drive it without my fillings falling out........
Non AMG SLs have never been advertised as being AMG. My car is an "AMG Line" not an AMG. However I believe we've had this discussion before :) .

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom