Is 'V8 AMG snobbery' a "thing"?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Non AMG SLs have never been advertised as being AMG.
Sorry, I actually meant to write "AMG line".
And I see you've edited your reply to reflect what I meant.

You could go a step further and insist that all AMG cars should be rear wheel drive only, and this 4Matic+ is nonsense.

To survive today, the brand has to diversify and make a profit on the bottom line. If they sell 100 hundred AMG Line cars and that turns into selling 2 or 3 'full fat cars' thats good business anyway you look at it. And outside of MB enthusiast circles or petrol heads, nobody had heard of AMG until 2006 anyway. M cars were arguably much more famous.

The thing is...we can have very heavy threads and a right old barney...but then the next day in the next thread...all is forgotten. OK?
Yes, I'm learning. Thing is there was truth in it. I'm just an uneducated farmer...had serious no fault accident on motorbike 9 months prior - insurance payout on the harley & personal injury claim almost paid for SL "lottery win" maybe, but lucky to survive.

Problem is that that enthusiasts still remember AMG when it was a tuning house (that most drivers today had never heard of and still do not understand). Now AMG is a MB owned "badge / brand". For the purists, many of the cars in the "AMG" Tab on the MB website would not qualify as an AMG.

Personally I'd struggle to consider my car an AMG (even if selected from the AMG tab) unless it was a "hand built" (in Affalterbach) & signed engine.
You’re quite right about the purists but, days have changed. The 4 cylinder (puke) cars are producing monumental power and are being given the near enough full AMG pack from the factory. Only real thing missing is the plaque on the engine but, economies of scale wouldn’t allow the “hand assembled “ to exist for all the engines they make now.
I’m sticking with my website tab theory.

A
It's deja vu all over again.
And it will be again next week and the week after .......

A
And it will be again next week and the week after .......
Just wait till Mercedes launch an electric AMG. And they will.

Just look at the pain over on the Porsche forums re the turbo Taycan......

.... The old enthusiasts, that say an AMG must be a RWD V8 will create a real commotion in their care homes as they spit out their porridge. 😜😂

I personally subscribe to @HB definition of “If it’s on the AMG tab, then it’s an AMG”, but I really don’t mind whether people describe (or badge) their car as an AMG even if it isn’t. Someone told me that there is definitely no ML Black Series, because the ML is not a track focused car and diesel is not used in racing cars. A good point, it wasn’t but since AMG waved their Black Series magic wand over it it has become a track weapon. It has AMG seat belt pads, and a signed plaque on the centre console, glovebox, steering wheel, tailgate, grille and both front wings stating that it’s an AMG limited edition. AMG wouldn’t go to such trouble if it wasn’t a real Black Series. They had no answer to that.

It's only a real one if it has a signed "Affalterbach Special Edition" badge as well... :doh:

Just wait till Mercedes launch an electric AMG. And they will.

I've no doubt it will lunge forward when given the beans like a real AMG, and so long as it bellows when it does it, it will be a real AMG. An AMG is all about the engine...

It's only a real one if it has a signed "Affalterbach Special Edition" badge as well... :doh:
It does and they’re in the factory locations of centre console, glovebox, tailgate, bonnet and both front wings, so it must be real.

The previous owner removed the roll cage and installed standard rear seats because he wanted to “daily” it.

It does and they’re in the factory locations of centre console, glovebox, tailgate, bonnet and both front wings, so it must be real.

The previous owner removed the roll cage and installed standard rear seats because he wanted to “daily” it.

I believe its one of these is it:

I'm pretty sure that a regular V8 can keep up with the 20mph traffic around London no problem.

I've seen some comments on various forums including this one which infer or opine that an AMG is only a proper one if it's got a V8 under the bonnet.

Maybe the comments were just leg-pulling and not in the least bit condescending and I'm certainly not pointing fingers.

Are non-V8 AMGs looked down upon as being inferior and not the real thing? 🤔
Surely the only proper ones are the V12s ?

You’re quite right about the purists but, days have changed. The 4 cylinder (puke) cars are producing monumental power and are being given the near enough full AMG pack from the factory. Only real thing missing is the plaque on the engine but, economies of scale wouldn’t allow the “hand assembled “ to exist for all the engines they make now.
I’m sticking with my website tab theory.

I agree with you - however they have watered brand down. AMG used to be a bit exclusive and something that came out of touring car racing etc. Sadly like their other models every Tom, **** & Harry has one these days.

Of course there have been non-V8 AMGs for a long time. The '36' and '32' engines were straight 6 and V6 respectively, and the '30' was a 5 cylinder diesel

Does anyone remember the thread about AMG boys revving their engines on Sloane St where Captain Birdseye’s nephew turned up?
One of my favourites😀

I've had the E55 V8 & the C32 V6 both great cars . Anyone who looks down on a C32 is in for a shock regards to performance...brilliant engines imo

Oh & regarding Pistonheads anyone who takes anything seriously( Excepting from the Home mechanics section lol) from there needs a good talking to about how to apply common sense & start living in the real world not the fantasy that exists over there.
God melted snowflakes spring to mind!
Yes I like humbugs ...what of it ?

Last edited:
Reactions: 219
I've only just got my C63S (my first V8 and I f**king love it after only 2 days of ownership!) but I have owned a C36 in the past, lest we not forget that was the first 'proper' collaboration between Mercedes and Hans Werner Aufrecht/Erhard Melcher and it had a straight 6. Amazing car, might only have had 285hp but it was a head turner in its own right.

If anyone is in any doubt what constitutes an AMG car they should obtain a copy of the book '45' which charts the history of every car, every collaboration up to and including the SLS - cracking book and gives real insight into cars like 'The Hammer'.

Personally speaking, I love to see an AMG badge position badly on a cooking model, makes me feel even better about destroying my bank balance on the genuine article :)

I guess Porsche Pedants have these problems as well. The only real Porsche has an aircooled n/a flat six hanging out of its **** and will kill you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom