Is 'V8 AMG snobbery' a "thing"?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Sounds like a dealer 'special'😂
:ttiuwp
Let's see the diesel beast?
full

Name dropping is a national passtime in the UK..... :p :)

Elsewhere: I drove the kids to school today because it was raining
UK: I drove the kids to school today, in my "Merecedes C250 AMG Line Premium Edition", because it was raining.

Badges & labels are important....:rolleyes::)

Name dropping is a national passtime in the UK..... :p :)

Elsewhere: I drove the kids to school today because it was raining
UK: I drove the kids to school today, in my "Merecedes C250 AMG Line Premium Edition", because it was raining.

Badges & labels are important....:rolleyes::)
I don’t really see that amongst my circle of friends but I dare say that some people do.

I don’t really see that amongst my circle of friends but I dare say that some people do.
Neither do I in mine - my QP was known as “The Fiat Punto”, the Cali “The Fiat 500” - but, having said that, it is commonplace in the U.K.

V8 snobbery is definitely a thing, I've seen many social media club posts already condemning the upcoming 2lt AMG as only having half an engine, and particularly for being a car that won't /sound/ like a 'proper' AMG. Not sure how these experts know what it's going to sound like? I did offer the opinion that AMGs are sold as performance cars so as long as it performs, which it undoubtedly will, how it does it and what it sounds like are largely irrelevent? The response I got was "ok boomer" 😂

The reality of progress is seldom as bad as those who fear it expect.

The Porsche 911 prospered after the switch to water cooled engines.

AMGs sounded just as good after the switch to turbocharged engines.

The BMW M3 became, errr, a shadow of it’s former self after the switch to turbocharging.

There’s the exception which proves the rule 😁

The BMW M3 became, errr, a shadow of it’s former self after the switch to turbocharging.
Agree in part, however, the latest M3 has sold really well and is an awesome piece of kit. Especially in Competition spec. The games moved on, car get bigger and I would argue to get original M3 kicks BMW have a number of model to look too.. 1M, 130i F82, M135/M140 F21 are closer than its name sake.

I hear that even AMG have had to resort to recorded exhaust sound playing through the sound system on the latest models. :confused:

Agree in part, however, the latest M3 has sold really well and is an awesome piece of kit. Especially in Competition spec. The games moved on, car get bigger and I would argue to get original M3 kicks BMW have a number of model to look too.. 1M, 130i F82, M135/M140 F21 are closer than its name sake.

The 1M has been out of production for nearly 10 years now. Same for the 130i. I moved from BMW to AMG about 5 years ago because they were offering nothing which even attempted to provide the "ultimate driving machine". I think the M2 is decent though - my mate has one and they are beautifully balanced. The new 140s are meh.

I hear that even AMG have had to resort to recorded exhaust sound playing through the sound system on the latest models. :confused:

Yes, most performance cars have now due to sound regulations and the OPF that must be fitted to all new cars.

last week I saw the Black Series going around the 'Ring (see my vid in general discussion) and it didn't sound better than my own car.

I know BMW have been doing it for years, but is this true with AMG ?
Which models?

The 1M has been out of production for nearly 10 years now. Same for the 130i. I moved from BMW to AMG about 5 years ago because they were offering nothing which even attempted to provide the "ultimate driving machine". I think the M2 is decent though - my mate has one and they are beautifully balanced. The new 140s are meh.
I get the time line all in saying is that with BMW you almost cannot follow the badge to stay in the same car. Those that come up from below often replace the model you are in.

The old M5s are size and performance in line with the M340i. Arguably the newer car it's way beyond them.

The only company as Bobby highlights that has kept lineage is Porsche with the 911. And even they nearly got it wrong when they tried to kill it by bringing out the 924,944 and 928, around it. It survived they didn't.

One point no one has made though is the fact one of the most famous and successful Mercedes cars that was partially responsible for the M3 being created, and AMG was involved in (though I don't think it wore the badge) was the 190e Cosworth. A four cylinder!!!!

From Top gear....
When Mercedes went to develop the 190E into a performance saloon, they didn’t turn to AMG. That’s because AMG was still an independent tuning house in those days. Hence the tie-up with Cosworth.

But AMG wasn’t about to let a British company take honours in the power stakes, storied F1 history or not.

So, for the updated, 2.5-litre engine (stroked, not bored, in case you were curious), AMG set to offering its services. Well, its main service, actually – MOAH POWAH. So the AMG Power Pack-equipped 2.5 was actually good for about 230bhp on the Evolution II model

AMG GT cars for sure, note sure of the others but I bet is nearly all the newer models.

That's interesting. Not sure whether my 2016 C63 is included, but I've got the switchable exhaust which definitely makes more noise outside the car... and maybe pumps up the (speaker) volume inside too ?
Jeez, I hope that's not the case, as I'd feel a bit fraudulent !

That's interesting. Not sure whether my 2016 C63 is included, but I've got the switchable exhaust which definitely makes more noise outside the car... and maybe pumps up the (speaker) volume inside too ?
Jeez, I hope that's not the case, as I'd feel a bit fraudulent !

It's not in the 2016 C63. It's in the facelift models though.

I get the time line all in saying is that with BMW you almost cannot follow the badge to stay in the same car. Those that come up from below often replace the model you are in.

100% agree. I used to have an E46 M3 and the new M3 feels literally twice as big and heavy. Horrible thing. And earlier M3 owners said the same about the E46...
The M3 in 2030 will be larger than a Panzer tank.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom