Is 'V8 AMG snobbery' a "thing"?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
For many (if not most) a car is a status symbol. It is usually the second biggest purchase people ever make (after a house) and is a usefully mobile status symbol. People get into debt, that they cannot, afford to own a nice new car.

For many (if not most) a car is a status symbol. It is usually the second biggest purchase people ever make (after a house) and is a usefully mobile status symbol. People get into debt, that they cannot, afford to own a nice new car.
I’m sure some can’t afford it and the car is taken back, but surely that’s the minority. If they can meet the repayments of said debt, does that not mean that they can afford it?

I’m sure some can’t afford it and the car is taken back, but surely that’s the minority. If they can meet the repayments of said debt, does that not mean that they can afford it?

You sort of answered your own question. They incur debt that they cannot afford so:
1) Yes the car gets taken away or
2) They keep the car by not paying other debt or going without other stuff......etc

There are millions of people in this county with debt that they cannot afford.

You sort of answered your own question. They incur debt that they cannot afford so:
1) Yes the car gets taken away or
2) They keep the car by not paying other debt or going without other stuff......etc

There are millions of people in this county with debt that they cannot afford.
Do you mean millions of people are defaulting on that debt?

Do you mean millions of people are defaulting on that debt?

No. But maybe!

From the link below....."IN Q4 2019 LENDERS WROTE OFF £1.459 BILLION (OF WHICH £459 MILLION WAS CREDIT CARD DEBT, AMOUNTING TO A DAILY WRITE-OFF OF £5.0 MILLION.)"

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that is quite a big generalisation. I would never get into debt for a car and there are a lot of people on here who don't like debt.

I think that is quite a big generalisation. I would never get into debt for a car and there are a lot of people on here who don't like debt.

Speaking personally I had no choice but to finance (PCP) my C63S, makes perfect sense (I would describe that as manageable debt rather than 'debt' which has a lot of negative connotations).

Given i'll never likely be in a position to afford a good example second hand or a new one, its a great way of doing it. The payments are perfectly affordable to me and I find Voluntary Termination is a great way of jumping out of a PCP deal before you have to pay the balloon payment at the end and walk away.

Post #165

Yep...mobile status symbol.

Many people have very nice houses...but ordinary cars. And others have very nice cars...but very ordinary houses. I know which I prefer.

Yes following the introduction of OPF there’s “piped music” to compensate for the toned-down exhaust note caused by the OPF - including the AMG GT R Pro, and I suspect the AMG GT Black Series too.

That’s why AMG collectors are scooping up the pre-OPF versions of the current generation of AMG cars. I would say that unless you intend to track it, then the GT R is a better proposition that the GT R Pro, and the OPF is a key part of that.

Many believe that the pre-OPF current generations will be the pinnacle of all-ICE powered cars, because OPF detracts, and then hybridisation changes the recipe - not worse, probably better, but definitely different.

Hybrid powertrains are coming even to the 63 line up. The next C63 is most talked about but the GLE63S is already hybrid - the first hybrid AMG, and I’m looking forward to trying one.
Obviously not a V8 (and maybe not a real AMG to some) but I drove the E53 a few times and it’s a fabulous hybrid set up. Plenty of really seamless power and sounds good too. It’s great value for money as a 1year old car. I’m considering one.

Obviously not a V8 (and maybe not a real AMG to some) but I drove the E53 a few times and it’s a fabulous hybrid set up. Plenty of really seamless power and sounds good too. It’s great value for money as a 1year old car. I’m considering one.
I’ve not driven a E53, but I think a more refined set-up (than a 63) would work well. Generally I personally think hybridisation in an AMG is a positive thing, it’s progress.

Last edited:
I’ve not driven a E53, but I think a more refined set-up (than a 63) would work well. Generally I personally think hybridisation in an AMG is a positive thing, it’s progress.
Actually Bobby you’re right. I went in and drove the 213 E63. It was really quite rough compared to the 212 we had. Sales guy handed me the keys to the 53 and it was bliss. Very comfortable, more than quick enough and a great value package. The V8 thrum was missing but, I can live without it.

Actually Bobby you’re right. I went in and drove the 213 E63. It was really quite rough compared to the 212 we had. Sales guy handed me the keys to the 53 and it was bliss. Very comfortable, more than quick enough and a great value package. The V8 thrum was missing but, I can live without it.
63 models are very aggressive, I suspect that the media and “new” customers demand it, and that’s what’s made space for the 43 and now 53 models for long-standing AMG customers who find 63 models too extreme.

63 models are very aggressive, I suspect that the media and “new” customers demand it, and that’s what’s made space for the 43 and now 53 models for long-standing AMG customers who find 63 models too extreme.
Correct

My son has an E53 - been in it a few times (not driven it) - goes really well and has a lovely sound.
I remember you mentioning it, I don’t know him but he springs to mind when I think of the E53. Did you say it’s due for replacement soon?

👍 I was always told never to get into debt. You never know what's round the corner. Look at the last few months. I've also never seen the appeal in PCP for a car. The thought of never actually owning it still seems strange to an old codger like me. Not that I'm knocking PCP...each to their own. But if circumstances changed for me at least I have an asset to sell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom