Is wheel wax worth it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kusanku

Car
A180cdi Avant Garde
What are people's experiences of using something marketed as a "wheel wax"? Is this different from any other kind of wax/sealant? I've had a bottle of Mer Wheel Wax for a while (don't know how or why as I never usually buy Mer products), which does not seem particularly impressive or durable. Before I try out another brand of wheel wax, such as Poorboys, would I be just as well to use Megs Ultimate wax on my wheels as well as my paintwork?

Never bothered with wheel specific wax, just use Collinite 915, brake dust doesn't stick and wheels clean up easily :)

Same as Whitenemesis, I just used my AG HD wax on the wheels and they wash off clean. Although, I did just buy a pot of Poorboys Wheel Sealant, for the same reason as you, I want to compare and see if there is any difference.

Over on the detailing world forums there is a lot of praise for the Gtechniq C5 wheel sealant. Apparently you just put on one coat and its good for over one year, and it can withstand over 300 degs of heat. But at £30 its not a cheap outlay, may be better in the long run.

An excellant product for wheels is either Wolf's Chemical's rim sealant. Its similar to polymer glass coating using nano tech. Just make sure your wheels are thoroughly wash, clayed and ipa'ed. Then apply with cleaner aplicator (The same woman use to remove makeup etc) then rinse wheels with an open hose and dry. If you want it to last 6 months make sure you put 2 coats on.

If you want the real good stuff opt for G-techniq C5. 1 single coat should see you through about 8 months but will definitely see you through 1 year if you wash the wheels weekly with warm soapy water.

Hope that helps.

Cheers Mike

+1 for Poorboys wheel sealant. Its very good and seems to last even in the recent salty conditions.

I use jet seal 109, the same thing which I use for paintwork .. seems to work well on wheels too.

For durability the king is FK1000P, brilliant for wheels. Cleanyourcar.co.uk has it on offer at the moment.

Finish Kare 1000P Hi-Temp Sealant is developed from a West German process called Synthesis, 1000P is a blend of advanced pure synthetic materials. The result is a paste wax characterized by melting temps of 250+ degrees, extreme hardness, extreme slickness, high gloss, and intensive wear without the quality fluctuations found in natural waxes.1000P delivers heavy duty resistance to UV, hard water, acid rain, bug spatter, tree sap etc
Excellent for use on all automotive paint, gel coat and metal surfaces including critical aircraft surfaces.
Specifically Designed For All Marine Aircraft And Automotive Finishes.
Cleaning: Low 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 High
Gloss: Low 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 High
Depth : Low 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 High
Protection: Low 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 High
Durability: Low 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 High
Size: A HUGE 15oz tin.
Voted 'Best Product of 2009' by Detailing world.co.uk members and you can see why! One of the best looking sealants used to date.... Great looks, easy to use and awesome protection! 'Bang for buck' you won't get a better finishing product anywhere!

Last edited:
Use whatever you have hanging around or want to use up after each wash.

If you are getting new wheels/refurb then I would use a 'proper' sealant before they go on.

I bought some Autofinesse Spirit wax for the body work. I have ended up using it for the wheels and it is excellent. I have also used it on the plastic trim and it has lasted the whole of the winter and is still looking like new. I dont bother with 'special' items now, this one does the lot.

I think Poorboys wheel sealant isn't that great. It's bright pink and smells good though. Not much else good about it as I find it may make the wheels feel slick but that doesn't last very long. I much prefer Finish Kare 1000P

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom