Is your CDI going into limp mode?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bobbob455

Car
Mercedes C270 CDI, Audi TT, BMW R1200RT
During the last couple of days my C270 CDI has been playing up!
Firstly, it would accelerate as normal through 1st & 2nd, but as it went into 3rd there was no power, no acceleration, it felt as though the turbo had gone to sleep.
This then progressed to the engine not revving over 2500 in any gear. If I turned the engine off & left it for a minute or so, it would be ok for a short time, then back into limp mode.
Took it into New Rodley Motors, Leeds, today. The fault was quickly diagnosed as a faulty MAF. so with a new Pierburg MAF & new air filter, my beloved C270 CDI is driving better than ever.
So, if your CDI is displaying similar symptoms to the above, try a new MAF, it certainly worked wonders on mine, best £100 I have spent in a long time.

CDI's can go into limp mode for a number of reasons, MAF is a common one but better to diagnose rather than throw £100 at it, could have easily been a sticky EGR or something else. You did the right thing getting it diagnosed first, you should advise others to do the same :)

CDI's can go into limp mode for a number of reasons, MAF is a common one but better to diagnose rather than throw £100 at it, could have easily been a sticky EGR or something else. You did the right thing getting it diagnosed first, you should advise others to do the same :)

I didn't really think I would NEED to advise anyone to get it diagnosed first, that would be quite condescending.

So, if your CDI is displaying similar symptoms to the above, try a new MAF, it certainly worked wonders on mine, best £100 I have spent in a long time.

""I didn't really think I would NEED to advise anyone to get it diagnosed first, that would be quite condescending. ""

It certainly looks like your post is overall advising just to replace the MAF sensor if it has similar problems...

The best advise is that you get it on STAR and not "try a new MAF" as you have said in your post :rolleyes:

There's a sticky about this very subject right above this thread

Glad you got it sorted, :)

Thanks mate, I don't know why you always find a certain type of person on these forums that love to find some fault with what others have written, perhaps it's a confidence thing.

I didn't really think I would NEED to advise anyone to get it diagnosed first, that would be quite condescending.

You may think it's common sense (as I do) to get it on STAR first, but there are many many posts and threads where members have changed parts for a car in limp mode and not solved the problem, yet have not had it diagnosed because it costs circa £40-£50.

Thanks mate, I don't know why you always find a certain type of person on these forums that love to find some fault with what others have written, perhaps it's a confidence thing.

If that is aimed at me then you have totally misinterpreted my post. I think you are referring to a troll....

Anyhow, problem solved

i think the hose connecting the intercooler is faulty and needs replacement.

Can one of you please change your tag? I am finding it difficult to eat my popcorn AND follow the thread argument because of too many Bobs.:D

Firstly, it would accelerate as normal through 1st & 2nd, but as it went into 3rd there was no power, no acceleration, it felt as though the turbo had gone to sleep.
This then progressed to the engine not revving over 2500 in any gear. If I turned the engine off & left it for a minute or so, it would be ok for a short time, then back into limp mode.
Took it into New Rodley Motors, Leeds, today. The fault was quickly diagnosed as a faulty MAF. so with a new Pierburg MAF & new air filter, my beloved C270 CDI is driving better than ever.

It worked for me...buy make sure you get it diagnosed first...don't just throw £100 at it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom