Isle of Wight info please.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Druk

Gone but not forgotten - RIP
Car
2011 S212 E350CDi. 1981 R107 300TurboDiesel.
Planning on maybe a couple of days there in July during Sth coast tour. What's the script with the ferries? Which one is best and just turn up or need to book?
Also need recommendation for a nice hotel or B&B. 4* sort of thing. Sea view preferred though not a deal breaker. Already looked at Albert Cottage @Cowes and that fits the bill but their cancellation policy is too strict for our circumstances.

Thanks. :thumb:

You definitely need to book the car ferry.

My favorite ferry is Red Funnel, Southampton to Cowes. the crossing is scenic and the car decks more spacious than the Portsmouth to Ryde ferry.

I've used the Lymington to Yarmouth ferry. Although I booked a specific time when I arrived earlier than planned I was allowed onboard.

Also, booking through the accommodation agency resulted in vastly significant savings on ferry bookings.

In my opinion, Cowes is the most congested place on IOW.

Nearby is Ryde with great beach facilities for the family.

For isolation, I had a very peaceful stay in Freshwater Bay.

Southampton to East Cowes is the best value and most enjoyable method of getting here, though I think you can use Tesco vouchers on Wight link. If your paying be prepaired for a shock as the prices are not cheap, book about a week in advance and try different times as the prices vary a great deal. http://www.rosemarycottagebreaks.co.uk/ in Newchurch is nice but in the countryside, great walks, bike rides, Pointer Inn pub nearby, and only 10 mins away from the big city of Sandown, Shanklin etc. Freshwater side is quieter, Ryde is buzzing at night, Newport is just like any town on the mainland, shops etc. Amazon World, Black Gang Chine, Sandown Zoo are all great for the kids, plenty of really nice pubs to eat in and Godshill Village is well worth ½ a days visit.

Last edited:
I tried to get my wife interested in a trip there but she refused to go on the ferry!
I just cant win!
Tony.

You'd get more seasick on some of our roads rather than the IOW car ferry, the only way you know your moving is the scenery goes past the windows. Had a very pleasant holiday there a few years back stayed at this B&B http://www.hermitagecourtfarm.com/

"Welcome to the Isle of Wight. Please put your watch back fifty years." That's a recommendation, not a criticism.

Well! how was the Isle of Wight for you, was Rosmary's cottage any good?
Eddie

Sorry, should have acknowledged your help. Rosemary cottage ideal. Nice host and the Pointer pub up the road great for grub although had to book early to get a table. Weather wasn't too kind to us with the roof up two days out of the three but we enjoyed Yarmouth best of all I think.

Thanks for your help. :thumb:

What are the isle's nicest and most scenic places, roads?
Planning on going there... need to get outta here for a few days, weeks.

Cheers :eek:

What are the isle's nicest and most scenic places, roads?
Planning on going there... need to get outta here for a few days, weeks.

Cheers :eek:

Ferry here: Wightlink Ferry Port Information - Lymington Car & Passenger Ferry Terminal

Sleep here: The Wellington Hotel - Isle of Wight Hotel

Or here: Isle of Wight Hotel, The Royal. One of the finest luxury Isle of Wight Hotels

Eat here: The Spyglass Inn - Free House

PS Drive around the island following the coast road from Yarmouth to Ventnor, via Freshwater. And then go back the other way. Great road.

Welcome back Marvin. The coast road in the South West of the island is by far the best, and one of the most scenic in the UK in my humble opinion.

Hey Mr Dazzler,

thanks a lot.
That sounds and looks good indeed. :)

Wish it weren't February though, I'd like to go there anytime soon.
Where do all my stupid ideas come from anyway? Sigh.

Anyway, thanks for any additional advice.
I'd really like to explore the island properly as it is quite small :rolleyes:
Also taking my old folding bike along in the boot, really looking forward to some brisk rides along the coast. :ban:

Ughh, those ferries seem to be expensive. Should really win the lottery this weekend.

Last edited:
Don't forget to go fossil hunting while you're there.

You're right about the ferries. Cost per mile (or km) it's the most expensive water crossing in the world.

Yes the ferries are expensive but if you check prices for less popular crossings, like very late at night or very early in the morning, then it can be cheaper. Also avoid crossing at the weekend during holiday season when tourist pricing holds prices higher.

Both Red Funnel and Wightlink operate ferries to the Isle of Wight, and there are three mainland ports to sail from: Portsmouth, Southampton and Lymington. Use different combination of times, ports and ferry operator to get the best deal.

Lastly, if you're camping, Red Funnel do some package deals, which include our crossings and either 5 nights or 10 nights on a camp site. Whitefield Forrest is the campsite which gets my vote, in fact we're there in a few months :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom