ISP Mobile Dialup

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SEM

MB Enthusiast
Car
2007 C220 CDi SPORT & E350 Coupe Sport
Does anyone use a PAYG dial up service, using laptop and Mobile phone as a modem while you are abroad or remote?

I'm looking to access internet while away where there is no landline.

Lots of ISP's are land line only from a BT line etc, and i dont really want to install AOL.

Only other choice is a 3G card and monthly fee, which i'll only use for 2 weeks.

Thanks
Steve

I used to do this a lot before. I know you don't like AOL however for travelling it works quite well as you can get local access numbers for the countries you're in.

I've also used UK2 free dial up (uses a UK 0845 number), used this succesfully with both my laptop and also on an HP Jornada (PDA) with my mobiles using nothing more fancy than infrared connection. Disadvantage is that you're making an international call whilst roaming. Used this from the US quite a bit, got a nice bill on return (at least I was expecting it!) :D

Just thought couldn't you try a PAYG SIM in a 3G card?

Just looking at the UK2 now look simple enough..

Not thought about the PAYG SIM... can it be done?

I use GPRS to Vodafone, linked to my laptop with a cable in the past, and with Bluetooth lately - but I set it up so long ago I can't remember much about it, it just works!
No idea how much it costs, either - I don't see the bills.

Just looking at the UK2 now look simple enough..

Not thought about the PAYG SIM... can it be done?

Yep, shouldn't be a problem, I found this site useful to get all of the connection settings (useful when you're abroad and don't want to be put on hold with a call centre trying to confirm which access point you need!)

http://www.filesaveas.com/connect.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom