Issue with Approved Used?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gregor

Car
CLS
Hi there, I got approved used few weeks ago, probably naively assumed that all will be perfect :)

There were few small things so Merc kindly took car for repairs. I Noticed a rust on left bodywork screws and let them know as well.

Turn out they could not do anything about it as there was no authorised repair in car history.

Without jumping into any conclusion -
1. Looks like all screws are affected (including one next to door).
2. There is no difference in paint of body part elements as far as I can tell.
3. One of LED lamps failed mot last year due to aiming low but it was on the other side.

So what I am trying to establish is ..

Are the check perform on approved used cars should make a note of that and I should be informed during a purchase? Or not and if I haven't noticed it then my bad.

My understanding is that this part of the vehicle already voided a rust warranty, correct ?

I like the car and there is nothing wrong with it as far as I can tell, so you know, I do not want to go though hassle (especially that I part exchange mine) however on the other side I usually keep cars for 3-6 years and do not want to reduce the value and in principle pay for something which could cost less :)

Cheers
Greg

Attachments

• IMG_0566.jpg
    IMG_0566.jpg
    608.9 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_0568.jpg
    IMG_0568.jpg
    709.1 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_0569.jpg
    IMG_0569.jpg
    837 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_0567__.jpg
    IMG_0567__.jpg
    529.9 KB · Views: 55
  • left___.jpg
    left___.jpg
    511.3 KB · Views: 53
The bolts have been removed in the past, my guess is so has the wing.

Up to you to find out why. Could be something innocent like a small repair, but that would not usually need the wing removing unless it needed dressing from the inside. Or it is a completely new wing.

It does look like those bolts have been removed at some point.

Used Approved checks from what I have seen are rarely done to any sort of high standard and are down to the buyer to spot issues prior to accepting the car.

Hi there, I got approved used few weeks ago, probably naively assumed that all will be perfect :)

There were few small things so Merc kindly took car for repairs. I Noticed a rust on left bodywork screws and let them know as well.

Turn out they could not do anything about it as there was no authorised repair in car history.

Without jumping into any conclusion -
1. Looks like all screws are affected (including one next to door).
2. There is no difference in paint of body part elements as far as I can tell.
3. One of LED lamps failed mot last year due to aiming low but it was on the other side.

So what I am trying to establish is ..

Are the check perform on approved used cars should make a note of that and I should be informed during a purchase? Or not and if I haven't noticed it then my bad.

My understanding is that this part of the vehicle already voided a rust warranty, correct ?

I like the car and there is nothing wrong with it as far as I can tell, so you know, I do not want to go though hassle (especially that I part exchange mine) however on the other side I usually keep cars for 3-6 years and do not want to reduce the value and in principle pay for something which could cost less :)

Cheers
Greg
I don't like the look of that deterioration in image 0567. Can it be wiped off or is it rust? There appears to be a bolt missing as well. Are the bolts painted on the other side -say this because the bolts on ours are simply zinc finished and are prone to rusting. Yes unfortunately it is naïve to assume an Approved Used will be perfect, but hindsight is perfect. If it is just a question of rusty bolts and washers and everything else is Ok you could just replace these. If you have any history with the car, invoices etc you could try contacting the previous owner to see if there was accident damage - depends how far you want to take it.

> I don't like the look of that deterioration in image 0567. Can it be wiped off or is it rust?
- I think it's a dirt not rust.

> There appears to be a bolt missing as well.
- there is no bolt on the other side so that's probably on purpose.

> Are the bolts painted on the other side
-yes, there are complete cover in paint

- Current V5 don't provide previous owner details anymore - I highly doubt it that Merc could share them with me but regardless I'd like to know if Merc will take responsibility or not.

Attachments

• IMG_0576_.jpg
    IMG_0576_.jpg
    292.5 KB · Views: 28
  • right_.jpg
    right_.jpg
    402.2 KB · Views: 29
Under the MB Approvrd Used scheme, you can have the car replaced with another within 30 days. I would move quickly and do that now. As in ASAP.

Rejecting the car based on the Sale of Goods Act at a later date is more complicated (though if you are successful then you will get a full refund, i.e. not just a different car).

But either way, trying to unearth the car's history is time-consuming and pointless - you do not want a car with obvious rust that is NOT covered neither by the Approved Used warranty nor by the 30-year anti-rust warranty.

My advice: abort, avoid.

I am still within 30 days from a purchase. I am not that precious about the car. How does a car replacement works. Apart from obvious reason in this case, can I just replace it even if I won't like it?

I am still within 30 days from a purchase. I am not that precious about the car. How does a car replacement works. Apart from obvious reason in this case, can I just replace it even if I won't like it?
It's probably time that you spoke to the dealer rather than a bunch of blokes on the internet, if you feedback on here what they say then you'll most likely receive some guidance on how to respond.

Yes I would probably try and find another example. If it was an older car of low value then a replacement (or realigned) wing resulting from an accident wouldn’t be much of an issue, but on a newish approved used car I wouldn’t be happy with that.

Plenty more fish in the sea and all that.

I was surprised at the condition of some of the approved used cars I saw at MB. Cars like that I can’t understand why they would want to retail? I guess there’s profit in shifting large volumes - maybe lots of other people don’t notice/care (how many normal people even open the bonnet of their cars these days let alone look for rusty bolts!)

Yes, you can choose to replace the car no-questions-asked within 30 days.

Of course there will be paperwork to sort-out, finance (if applicable), and price difference etc.

Of course there will be paperwork to sort-out, finance (if applicable), and price difference etc.
You might find that if you go back and ask to do this , they will miraculously decide to fix the issues on your current car free of charge- possibly less hassle for them ..,

Is there a maximum mileage caveat as well?

Almost certainly the wing has been repaired/replaced at some point as already said. Standards of repair vary even using MB parts and can be a focus for accelerated corrosion in the future if re-instatement is not done to factory standards especially wrt joint sealants. If that is the sole extent of the damage and the car is otherwise sound then its a value judgement as to whether you keep it. It might be worth removing the front wheel arch liner on that side to see further evidence of how well that past repair has been done?

Almost certainly the wing has been repaired/replaced at some point as already said. Standards of repair vary even using MB parts and can be a focus for accelerated corrosion in the future if re-instatement is not done to factory standards especially wrt joint sealants. If that is the sole extent of the damage and the car is otherwise sound then its a value judgement as to whether you keep it. It might be worth removing the front wheel arch liner on that side to see further evidence of how well that past repair has been done?
I am guessing that the wing came off at some point, and the original bolts were then reused without respraying them. The original paint coat would have been damaged by the tools used.

Possibly the new wing was painted off the car, or maybe the original wing was just removed for realignment, I don't know.

Either way, I would be concerned that the rust from the bolt has transfered to the metal. But I wouldn't remove the wing to find-out... I'd replace the car.

Thank you guys, I will ask for replacement. It's shooting break cls so not very popular car.
Any guesses if "in theory" I can pick any car from whole UK stock? (subject to transport costs)
Would they give me a replacement car in a meantime ?

Thank you guys, I will ask for replacement. It's shooting break cls so not very popular car.
Any guesses if "in theory" I can pick any car from whole UK stock? (subject to transport costs)
Would they give me a replacement car in a meantime ?

The position with an exhange used to be that it was from the dealer's local stock. If this is Glasgow then I would guess it is Stratstone and therefore they might be more flexible in terms of stock given their network.

However your potential situation with regard to the car is that you would be rejecting it because it has obvious signs of a repair that they missed and have no details. Which means arguably that it is not of the standard reasonably expected of an AU car. In this situation I'd suggest that it's not an exchange because you don't like the colour or went for the wrong engine or some niggle. It's a failure to actually supply a vehicle that meets your reasonable expectations of an AU MB. That IMO puts a greater level of obligation on them to remedy the situation.

I treat "Approved Used Checks" and any such terminology as just a marketing exercise as it often seems to be the case.

Often you have to spot issues yourself and they either become part of the deal to rectify or they will just sell it as is. BMW were the same in my experience.

The problem with exchanging is unless you are not fussy about what car you drive, how likely are you to get another CLS like the one you bought (unless I've missed something and your avatar is not the car you refer to?).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom