issues after a wheel refurb

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tylerdurden

Had all 4 alloys refurbed at Lepsons.

This was about 2 years ago.

Wheels came back pristine.

2y later I can see this around some of the hubcaps

What is this? Seems to be some form of corrosion. Its not been scratched on anything.

These are my summer wheels and are taken off for about 2 months in winter and stored in the garage in boxes.

Ta

Attachments

• IMG_3683.jpg
    IMG_3683.jpg
    218.5 KB · Views: 124
Diamond cut finish (which they appear to be) is very fragile. The slightest chip in the clearcoat will allow the water in to do its thing, with the results as picture.

The fact that it's around the centre bore suggests a removal or replacement of the centre cap was possibly the culprit. There appears to be a stone chip between centrebore and stud hole at the 3 o'clock position that is rapidly going the same way.

Last edited:
would this need a full refurb to sort out?

Bit miffed really. I'm v careful popping out hubcaps. Only ever do it with the wheel off, pushing from inside.

2 years you have done well with diamond cut. I'm lucky if I get a year from my cheap n cheerful Refurb outfit !

Do you leave the hubcaps in place or are they removed.

I'm sure if you check Lepsons website the warranty on Diamond cut wheels that are Lacquered isn't that long (Others are about the same as well).

So does this need a repeat journey to lepsons for a full overhaul or is there a touchup alternative?

It's pretty much impossible to patch up a diamond cut finish, so it's a full wheel job. There's only so many times you can do it as each time you cut away a little bit of the wheel.

That's why many just opt for a plain powdercoat finish instead

so are you saying I could refurb these and ask for a plain powdercoat which will last longer?

Hi.

Outside of kerbing. The weakest part of the finish is the lip of the centre bore. Regardless of finish (powder coat etc). It will require lacquer and the lacquer is weakest on edges. Lacquer on diamond cut rarely survives UK winters, hence Lepsons (and others) reluctance to give warranty on diamond cut rims.

Sadly we also have tyre fitting companies that like bare metal levers and heavy handling. Neither of which are respecters of finished wheels.

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

I'm guessing that you removed these to fit winter wheels, and popped them in to storage without washing them? I did something similar, they went in to the garage milky (around the centre cap) and a few months later they came out corroded.

Unfortunately diamond cut finishes are fragile, and storing them with salt in an area where the lacquer has already been compromised will accelerate the corrosion. Unlike a potato wheel are not better chipped and salted. :)

As suggested, if you would like a longer lasting finish go for powder coating, which will withstand more abuse.

to the OP...don't beat yourself up about it, there is nothing you can do to prevent diamond cut wheels corroding.

in my opinion it doesn't have anything to do with the removel or refitting of the centre caps, the little lugs that hold the centre caps in are plastic...there is very little chance of them damaging the finish of the powder.

there are a few reasons why corrosion will occur, and it will be worse around the centre cap as opposed to other areas of the wheel:

- firstly, if you remove the centre cap you will see that the edge of the centre cap hole is probably the sharpest point on the wheel, this is just down to the profile of the wheel. When I mean sharp I do not mean razor sharp, but at an angle of 90 deg or less you are going to end up with a hard edge on a machined surface.

Powdercoat doesn't like sharp edges, it likes flat and curved surfaces in order to get a uniform distribution of material. When curing in the oven, the powder will 'flow out', and it always flows away from sharp edges. Which means that once the wheel is cured the edge of the centre cap hole will have a thinner coat of lacquer than the rest of the wheel.

This inevitably gives less protection to the machined finish.

- secondly, think back to every time you get the car washed, isn't annoying when you get a little dribble of water running out from the centre cap after you've spent time drying it. Well imagine all the water that is sitting just inside the centre cap hole, just sitting there working its way through the thinnest part of the lacquer. This problem is then compounded by any acid cleaners that are used and not rinsed off thoroughly enough.

And once the lacquer surface is compromised, then that's it....you're fighting a losing battle to keep the wheels looking good.

The only way to get your wheels looking good again is to have them refurbished. If you want durability, then lose the diamond cut. Have the wheel powdercoated and I can assure you they will be far longer lasting.

People shouldn't have expectations of a diamond cut wheel being a durable finish. Yes....every single manufacturer has diamond cut wheels now and you may think "Why put something out to the market that is not going to be durable?". Well, compare it to something like high heels, they are not comfortable to wear (so I'm told :rolleyes:), but they looks sexy as hell! :D

Hope this helps.

I suppose that you could manually grind off the 90 degree angle as mentioned above to give the lacquer more surface area to hold on to.

lots o cool advice.

are there pics of MB AMG wheels in diamond cut and powder coat finishes?

I think on a powder coat you could opt for a hyper silver that would almost give the bright diamond cut look.

I had this many moons ago with Lepsons - I found they actually applied too thick a coat of lacquer around the centre hole so when the wheel is mounted it cracks and splits the fresh lacquer. Water gets in and starts to lift the lacquer again and spreads to the surface of the wheel over time.

I think on a powder coat you could opt for a hyper silver that would almost give the bright diamond cut look.

Mine are in this week for exactly that currently diamond cut monobloc VI going to be refurbed and powder coated in hyper silver

If you do go for powder coat I would strongly suggest acid dipping followed by an etch primer , colour then a clear coat. I think you will find the coating lasts longer. I don't know if Lepsons go through this process or not.

I do wash them before taking em off and storing in the garage

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom