Issues with my 1984 W123 280 CE

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Do bear in mind that some of the unions might be badly corroded and the silly little pipes which connect the individual components can be hideously expensive.

Do bear in mind that some of the unions might be badly corroded and the silly little pipes which connect the individual components can be hideously expensive.

Yep, the minute you disturb that stuff, be ready to replace all the hoses and possibly the steel lines

Thanks for you reply, it’s odd that it runs ok from cold but when the engine is warm the problems begin

It isn't odd at all and points to fuel vapourisation when warm due to the lack of pressure which when present prevents the fuel from vapourising. This is exactly the same principle that enables LPG to be liquid when under pressure in its tank but turns to gas as soon as it is released from that pressured environment..

When you park up warm, the fuel will vapourise but by the time you come back to it the following morning it will have returned to liquid phase as now cold. All the pump then has to do is re-instate required run pressure - which it will do between the key being turned between ignition and start - ie, very quickly.

Reactions: 219
It isn't odd at all and points to fuel vapourisation when warm due to the lack of pressure which when present prevents the fuel from vapourising. This is exactly the same principle that enables LPG to be liquid when under pressure in its tank but turns to gas as soon as it is released from that pressured environment..

When you park up warm, the fuel will vapourise but by the time you come back to it the following morning it will have returned to liquid phase as now cold. All the pump then has to do is re-instate required run pressure - which it will do between the key being turned between ignition and start - ie, very quickly.
Would you say that it’s the fuel pressure actuator?

I have been looking for a replacement but I’m struggling to find a supplier

Fuel Pressure regulator 0438170004 Bosch Control Valve A0004760121 0004760121 | eBay
check the part no is for your car!!!! The accumulator is a pretty simple affair- basically a cylinder divided by a diaphram- on one side pressurised fuel -- on the other a spring which is compressed by the fuel pump pressure when its running when the pump is off the compressed spring expands and acts on the diaphram to maintain the fuel pressure

Make sure you are sitting down , and have a stiff drink handy before you look at the prices !

Thanks for the link, I’d better wait till tonight, have a Lagavulin then check the prices 👍

Reactions: 219

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom