Istanbul

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr E

MB Enthusiast
Car
57 W211 E280 AG
Mrs E has secured some complimentary flights out to Istanbul over the Easter weekend, so I was wondering if anyone here has been out there and can recommend any hotels, restaurants, etc.

Mrs E has secured some complimentary flights out to Istanbul over the Easter weekend, so I was wondering if anyone here has been out there and can recommend any hotels, restaurants, etc.

Thought you were offering the tickets out for a moment! lol

No hotel knowledge but 1) D not eat the little chillis if you have a kebab from a street vendor or your bottom will never forgive you, 2) The Blue Mosque is amazing! and 3) Underground Bazaar is fantastic

Bon Voyage!

One point about any hotel in the vicinity of the blue mosque is that the call to prayer may interrupt your sleep unless there is good double glazing and air conditioning. Many many years ago I took the wife and she insisted on sleeping with the window open :crazy: If you are central enough, then walking everywhere is fine. When we were there the turkish police maintained a reassuring presence and we had no problems walking around at night going out to eat. Be prepared to buy jewellery. It might pay to watch bits of From Russia with Love, especially the Hagia Sophia and the Water Cistern scenes - then go and see the real thing.

Last edited:
In all my travels I have to admit when people ask me the worst country I have visited it is Turkey by a mile, if the world had piles this is where they would be. three words sum it up for me

Dirty
Disgusting
Degenerate

Sell the tickets and go somewhere nice :thumb: Istanbul may have history, but it's an historical dump.

In all my travels I have to admit when people ask me the worst country I have visited it is Turkey by a mile, if the world had piles this is where they would be. three words sum it up for me

Dirty
Disgusting
Degenerate

Sell the tickets and go somewhere nice :thumb: Istanbul may have history, but it's an historical dump.

I didn't ask tho... :rolleyes:

I've traveled to the dumpiest dumps in the world, so Istanbul will be a breeze by comparison to some African or ex-soviet states.

I didn't ask tho... :rolleyes:

I've traveled to the dumpiest dumps in the world, so Istanbul will be a breeze by comparison to some African or ex-soviet states.

No you didnt ask, sorry i have a passionate dislike of the place.

Give me kazakhstan, georgia, nigeria, mali, or russian far east any day :thumb:

Last edited:
No you didnt ask, sorry i have a passionate hate of the place.

Give me kazakhstan, georgia, nigeria, mali, or russian far east any day :thumb:

One of my great regrets is that I am unlikely to be ever able to visit places like Iraq and Afghanistan. Cradle of civilisation and all that but now no-go areas :( Truly sad

A genuine and heartfelt observation BTW - no anti slogans and smartarse comments. Thanks

One of my great regrets is that I am unlikely to be ever able to visit places like Iraq and Afghanistan. Cradle of civilisation and all that but now no-go areas :( Truly sad

A genuine and heartfelt observation BTW - no anti slogans and smartarse comments. Thanks

I've done Iran and Iraq, Iranians are so friendly the mines i worked on we were invited to the locals houses for meals it was such an honour for them and a pleasure for us. The media BS just portrays the country in such a negative way it is a true shame.

Never done Afghanistan and suppose i never will and i agree it is such a shame :mad:

Read Eric Ambler's "The Light of Day" for background atmosphere.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom