It is with regret

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

scgfull

Car
E350 Bluetec Night Edition Estate & CLK 350 Cabriolet AMG Sport
I have finally sold my E320CDI after 2 years of - shall we say eventfull- ownership.

It was a hard decision to make as it was a wonderful car to drive. However, having had the engine replaced, due to a broken timing chain and camshafts. Then I had corrosion issues, dealt with by MB through Tony Purslow at Basingstoke. My confidence in the marque was damaged and as such I decided to let her go.

All that remains is to thank all on here who have willingly given me advice and guidance in the past and specifically to Ollie at PCS in Horndean who has provided first class service in the repairs required. I would highly recommend him to all.

So Farewell

Steve

Thanks Steve.

Remember you can always pop in for a cuppa if you are passing.

I have another GTG on sunday too. You are more than welcome.

Thanks - but too late. My perception of the marque has been tainted it will take a number of years for that to wear off.

Steve

thats why i dont own and never will probably own a new merc

built by soul less machines rather than being built by hand like mine

everytime i get out of my car and come in i pat the bonnet and say "good boy"

old mercs are lovly

Is that a E320 CDi with corrosion issues?

Where was the corrosion?

I think with the W211's its very hit/miss. I bought two dogs of W211's before i settled on my current one.

Farewell..

I have finally sold my E320CDI after 2 years of - shall we say eventfull- ownership.

It was a hard decision to make as it was a wonderful car to drive. However, having had the engine replaced, due to a broken timing chain and camshafts. Then I had corrosion issues, dealt with by MB through Tony Purslow at Basingstoke. My confidence in the marque was damaged and as such I decided to let her go.

All that remains is to thank all on here who have willingly given me advice and guidance in the past and specifically to Ollie at PCS in Horndean who has provided first class service in the repairs required. I would highly recommend him to all.

So Farewell

Steve

Mate if that happened to me i would definately leave the marque. Badluck there though, and goodluck for the future!

[quote=The G.F.P;

I pat the bonnet and say "good girl"

we should introduce them, you never know they might breed

Thats a crying shame but I understand if your last steed put you so much out of pocket. I guess you were just unlucky.
So whats your replacement going to be?

Thanks - but too late. My perception of the marque has been tainted it will take a number of years for that to wear off.

Steve

That doesn't mean you have to leave the forum does it?

I haven't got a Merc, and only hang around here as a W124 coupe wannabe :bannana:

One day, one day.....

thats why i dont own and never will probably own a new merc

built by soul less machines rather than being built by hand like mine

old mercs are lovly

a w210 is hardly "new"

Don't blame you over the rust issue. 210s are badly cursed with this. I am surprised about your engine issues, and think that really is very bad luck. I'm also interested in what your next choice will be. I keep thinking of defecting too, but whenever I look at other brands, I find I simply don't like them as much.

I decided not to try and emulate Mercedes for my next choice and so I discounted the other German alleged quality brand (rearrange the three letters WBM).

I did not want to go too far into obscurity so discounted the mainstream (Fords, Vauxhall etc). I have already had a series of Volvos (and very happy with the older non-Fords) but decided against those.

So still undecided I have opted for an interim car and have bought a Rover 75 Tourer CDTI. This has all the toys that the Mercedes had with a lot less miles a lesser tax bill and a smaller fuel bill.

Downside is of course, it also has a lot less poke it being only a 2 litre!

Long term, I'm still not sure which way to go. I will watch how the economy goes and decide in about 9 months to a year. You never know I could get used to the Rover. On the other hand I might be able to pick up a W211 at a very reasonable price in the not too distant future, just got to get this recent past experience behind me.

Steve

I have already had a series of Volvos (and very happy with the older non-Fords) but decided against those.
Don't discount the V70 - not the new model that came out about a year ago - the model that ran from 1999 to 2007 - my D5 turbodiesel is great - very quick - 5 cylinder 2.4 litre lump - almost silent on the motorway at 90ish - all the toys (SE spec - leather, climate, cruise etc) and over 40 mpg.

I saw a 2003 model with 60k up for £5,000 t'other day. Bargain.

So still undecided I have opted for an interim car and have bought a Rover 75 Tourer CDTI. This has all the toys that the Mercedes had with a lot less miles a lesser tax bill and a smaller fuel bill.
Steve

A 75!!!! Wow you really have lost your mind.....

Good luck - you'l need it!

A 75!!!! Wow you really have lost your mind.....

Good luck - you'l need it!

Really.?
I know a few people that have had MG versions and only the 1.8T petrols have had any problems, the diesels have been very reliable.
The engine is the Beemer 2.0 diesel but slightly downrated for power output.

The 75, is also very well built and has some of the best quality paint jobs I've seen on any car.....can really take the miles and not show it and you won't have any rust problems.

Just have to be careful that the butterfly flaps in the intake manifold don't break up on you....its a weak point on this engine, albeit the more powerful versions fitted to BMW's tend to suffer more.

Thanks all,

I have found that the 75 is one of the best kept secrets. A lot of people who have never driven one let alone sat in one, run them down. This mostly done on a false assumption heard from someone who knows someone........

I admit that the 1.8 engine did suffer but the diesel engine is a star.

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom