It isn't a Merc, but what is multiplex wiring??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StuartB

Car
Mercedes C43 AMG/Aston Martin V8 Volante/Aston Martin DB7/ Mercedes S-Class
Just buying a Saab 9-3 Aero(oops sorry...) and have been told by the dealer and a number of hi-fi shops that the stereo and speakers cannot be upgraded as they dare not touch the car as it has multiplex wiring.

Has anyone else heard of this, what is the sketch re multiplex wiring etc. etc??

All I want is a top notch hi-fi...and no-one can help me. What happens re Tracker etc????

Many Thanks

Stu

Sorry about the overuse of etc...etc!!!

ive never heared of it bum suprised no one will mess with the hifi as you can easily run a aftermarket system while leaving the original oem head unit/speakers/wiring inplace

saw it in a bmw 7 series in toal car audio one month

i think mabeyit is a case of everything is that locked together tight and saab havent released the wiring information so installers dont wanna be responable for killing sommat (im not syaing install yoursel but i would ask the saab dealer tbh)

Cars are getting too smart

If I remember rightly, Multiplex wiring is were they use some wires in the wiring loom as a data link, bit like the system Merc use in the bigger/newer ones. Mess with the wiring and the Computer thinks there's a fault and the car won't go!

Moral of the story… Cars are getting too smart, DIY will soon NOT be an option :-(
ANdy

Last edited:
Basically some of the wiring uses encoders and decoders so that the wires can be used for more than one function. We all know this as the CAN system on our cars.
I don't think the stereo, sound wise will be multiplexed as this would interfere with the sound quality. It is probable that the head unit is integrated into the multiplex to offer speed signal, auto volume and vehicle integration.
The worst case is a complete hi fi install with new cabling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom