It must be Monday....

Discussion in 'OT (OFF Topic) Forums' started by Satch, Jun 27, 2011.

1. Satch

Satch MB Enthusiast

Car:
    S211 E320Cdi Avantgarde Estate & Toyota Land Cruiser
    So, first off I have a 08.30 meeting with a bunch of lawyers. A bad enough start but only half of them (ours) turn up.

At 09.15 we are informed that there is no point to the meeting as the other lot, who are representing a company we are in dispute with, will not be turning up. A few phone calls reveals they have decided they can no longer represent their client. I imagine that means they have not been paid either.
    So that will be a dead loss then.

So, then consign myself to South Western Trains. Speed restrictions, aircon making a lot of noise but doing SFA. Very, very unpleasant.

Next, London Underground. Hot, humid & hideous beyond words, followed by short walk to office lugging bag of papers (intended for the non meeting) and arrive dripping.

Into my office and.....no aircon. Nix, nil, nada, nothing. 11th floor, Mansard roof extension so cooked up nicely. No windows to open and thus denied relief of jumping out. Bugger all work being done, nobody could focus on anything other than trying to breathe and three people had already bailed out to work from home.

That was it. Found the half witted waste of skin, blubber and organs that is our "Facilities Manager", who has been the root cause of a string of avoidable disasters, idiocies and general inaction ever since he joined last year.

Claimed nothing could be done until Wednesday at the earliest. It went roughly as follows:

"And why not?"

"Well as I have already told many people, the engineers were here over the weekend and I did call this morning but they said that the system needs to stabilize itself after a restart. If they fiddle with it again now it might make things worse"

"Hmmm. Is it not rather obvious that in order for any control system to do that, the system it controls has to be actually running. Or am I missing something?"

"Like I said it needs to ......."

Ohhh that was it. I went off like a hot, sweaty demo charge.

But two hours later the engineers have returned, and system has been restarted, temperature is dropping. And I have determined that our "Facilities Manager" has now gone home suffering from a "headache"

As the pattern is that of at least a week off sick at a time, doubt he will turn up tommorrow but when he does I am determined he will leave again with a much bigger one :mad:

Anyone care to guess who his former employer was? And where he was allegedly in charge of a suite of 17 buildings?

1 person likes this.
  2. Godot

Godot Active Member

Advocatus Diaboli in a Rest Home for the Terminall
    Car:
    A180 CDI Elegance Auto 3 Door Panoramic Sun Roof, Bi Xenons
    [YOUTUBE]K1ER0Pwm_Zw[/YOUTUBE]

He feels your pain :(

2 people like this.
  3. davidjpowell

davidjpowell MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Range Rover Vogue, Volvo XC60 and crappy Pug 307
    Bad morning!

I have been waiting for a call from somewhere to tell me the AC was not working, but unusually for a hot day it's not arrived.

Wish I had some though.

PS Braver man than me tackling the tube in these temps... A taxi is worth every penny.

ETA - Wish my PC had not crashed and taken Friday's work out with it.... My fauly, shoulda pressed save.

4. Charles Morgan

Charles Morgan MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Mercedes 250CE W114, Alfa Romeo GT Coupe 3.2 V6
    I used to work in an entirely glass walled building from the 60s. The aircon had a design maximum of 32 deg, above which it would stop working.

The summer of 2003 was fun.

I imagine his former employer was not public sector, otherwise he would still be in a job, unless he was soooooo bad.

Get a new one.

5. OP
    OP
    Satch

Satch MB Enthusiast

Car:
    S211 E320Cdi Avantgarde Estate & Toyota Land Cruiser
    Used to but then moved over to PFI contractor who ran very badly and at vast cost a set of large new shiney buildings and the associated landscaped estates for a very well known and very large Government money pit. Not clear why he left.

This is a man who cannot use Excel, never listens to his voicemails, refuses to give his home & mobile number to anyone at work other than HR and considers himself removed from trivia such as a handover or leaving some form of briefing for his assistant before going on holiday for two weeks.
    Net result has been chaos.

The person who recruited him was a twit with the grand title of Chief Operating Officer, made a series of bad hiring decisions and has now gone.

So our man is not so much toast as a bit of smoking carbon.

6. davidjpowell

Car:
    Have one or two theory's. Almost felt a bit sorry for him, as he might be reliant on what others feed to him.

But then he does not seem to have done anyone any favours. In this world you need to evolve to survive, going the extra mile (and even listening to the voicemail!) all might be a good idea in the first place!

It's a strange world.

7. BlackC55

BlackC55 Authorised Forum Sponsor Authorised Forum Sponsor

Horndean, Portsmouth, Hampshire, Southsea
    Car:
    C43 AMG with a 55 engine and supercharger, E55 AMG, S500, etc
    I don't have AC at work. I have to work on hot engines. I just get on with it.

8. Doodle

Doodle MB Enthusiast

Car:
    R129, Leon Cupra 290, BMW R100
    No heating in winter either, you nutter :D

9. Ian B Walker

Ian B Walker MB Enthusiast

Car:
    300-24, saloon and coupe, E300 24 valve diesel estate
    Same here Olly

10. snoop51

snoop51 Active Member

Car:
    MB E350 CDI Sport w/ command & leather
    I work outside most of the time.:D........................In flame proof overalls with the sleeves rolled down, hard hat and safety boots. Even when I get in the office I only have a fan which just pushes the hot air around a bit.:doh:

11. Charles Morgan

Charles Morgan MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Mercedes 250CE W114, Alfa Romeo GT Coupe 3.2 V6
    You don't need AC. You have Blackpool climate control!

Been chatting over email to a mate in the Royal Marines coming to the end of his tour in Helmand. They think cool is 40c, normal is about 45 - 50c and they have to wear body armour in that.

I think he's going to find it a bit parky in Arbroath after that....

Last edited: Jun 27, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  12. snoop51

snoop51 Active Member

Car:
    MB E350 CDI Sport w/ command & leather
    I don't envy them at all. I did the first Gulf War, body armour etc, it wasn't as hot as that though tops about 40c. We did have the threat of chemical warfare though which necessitated wearing chemical warfare suits and gas masks, not a pleasant experience at all especially still working in them.:D

Your mate will soon readjust to the cooler weather and midges, it doesn't take long.

13. trapperjohn

trapperjohn MB Enthusiast

Car:
    124 300D 24V Estate
    After that winter and the rain of (so far) summer I was "working" outside today and loved every minute of it. Bring on some more of the same tomorrow.

Ditto Snoop51 feelings for all the services in all our conflict/peace keeping zones. Thanks for the reminder Charles of our Service folk working every where.

14. DITTRICH

DITTRICH MB Enthusiast

Car:
    S205 C200SE & W202 C230K
    -35 Vostochny, Primorski Krai, Russia
    +36 nr Novogrischino, Moskovski Oblast, Russia
    Those were the days...
    Our people used to get on the plane in Sydney and get off in Vladivostock.
    Just a slight 50 degree temperature change to cope with.

15. crockers

crockers MB Enthusiast

Car:
    XC60 MY2014 SeLux Nav plus lot and lots of toys...
    The joy of having taken early retirement....:bannana:

2 people like this.
  16. trapperjohn

trapperjohn MB Enthusiast

Car:
    124 300D 24V Estate
    ^What he said.

17. Doodle

Doodle MB Enthusiast

Car:
    R129, Leon Cupra 290, BMW R100
    Funnily enough, we do have AC, but not like you'd believe it. I work in a mostly female office where everyone bitches it's cold all the time, so it's currently the temperature of sub-Saharan Africa. This normally leads to me hiding out in the server room.

No AC on the bike, so you end up melting when stopped in traffic. As a result I try not to stop :D

18. davidjpowell

Car:
    I get involved in office fitouts - and there is never any winning position. the womem will always be cold, and the men hot. The AC system will constantly be trying to go either hot or cold until someone puts a lock on the controls.

They all say it will be fine - but it never is!

19. John

John Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    I wish.
    I had a Vauxhall Carlton for a while then. The radiator was leaking and the only way to keep it from overheating was to open the windows and put the heaters on full - the car didn't have air con.

Driving home for an hour in rush hour from JC16 > JC21 on the M25 on that 36.9 degree day, suffice to say I promptly changed the radiator the next day...

20. John

John Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    I wish.
    Women I understand are on average feeling the temperature at 3 degrees lower than men or something like that. No wonder we never agree.

However, I find a balance between 23 or 24 works where I am now.

In my last company, it was 21 or sod off.

You can wear a cardigan in your skimpy Summer outift if you are cool but there's only so much blokes can do with just a shirt and trousers!

Tags: