It raining, it’s snowing. I know I’m not going.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
A posting on the bbc live updates page this morning:

“‘I was driving from Edinburgh to Mollisburn” said Ms Forster. ‘I left Edinburgh at 2pm on Wednesday and arrived home at 8am on Thursday morning. I had nothing with me. I had to use the water I had with me to put in my window wipers.’”

I’m sure when I was a kid in the 80s/90s most people carried a shovel, blanket, etc, all winter. And kept the fuel tank / washer tank filled up.

" I had nothing with me. I had to use the water I had with me to put in my window wipers.’”

And the first entry for the 2018 Darwin awards...

Sometimes less is more if people can get past the badge snobbery thing of course.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

There's something attractive about cheap, utilitarian and practical.

As a youngster I used to buy £500 cars and really enjoyed not giving a toss about them, how/where I drove them or who I lent them to.

I’ve got a 2016 Duster our in Skiathos.
It lives in the airport car park when I’m in England and starts every time. It’s only got 3000ish miles on it and although it’s never seen snow I’ve driven it on some very muddy and wet mountain tracks and it’s been faultless.

There is a "it won't happen to me" mentality that gets in here. We stopped last week on the A12 heading into London but in the dark, snow and hellish wind on spotting a guy who had broken down and was walking along the hard shoulder in....... Wait for it:

Shorts, Flip Flops and a Tee-shirt.

He was literally freezing and I suspect would not have lasted much longer (I am not making that up). He said he had nipped out to visit his Girl Friend and broken down. His phone battery was dead and nobody stopped to offer him help. He was blue to look at and actually making my Wife's X5 shake with his shivering. We gave him hot coffee and drove him to his girl friends. I seriously do not think that he thought for one moment that he could die out there. Dramatic? No. I don't think he was an idiot. I just think he thought "not to me it won't". There appears to be a massive amount of cars with failed electrics (three at the bottom of my road) what gives here? Are today's alternators & batteries not up to the job?

It's rather pathetic compared to the winters of the 80s for example. But I think it's due to s combination of 3 things

A lot of drivers, particularly young drivers, .have little or no experience of driving in the snow

Many modern cars have auto boxes and considerable torque which makes it hard to modulate the accelerator

Modern tyres are optimised for summer conditions, and wide ,low profile tyres don't help.
Winter rubber is needed now

It all adds up to a pathetic ballet of dancing on Ice

And my wine delivery has been cancelled!!!!

It's rather pathetic compared to the winters of the 80s for example. But I think it's due to s combination of 3 things

A lot of drivers, particularly young drivers, .have little or no experience of driving in the snow

Many modern cars have auto boxes and considerable torque which makes it hard to modulate the accelerator

Modern tyres are optimised for summer conditions, and wide ,low profile tyres don't help.
Winter rubber is needed now

It all adds up to a pathetic ballet of dancing on Ice

And my wine delivery has been cancelled!!!!

Agree, for various reasons the younger driver is particularly unskilled.

I suppose that sky high insurance coupled with the significant surveillance that we have today means that kids no longer take the kind of risks which hone their skills by driving in all conditions practicing drifting in empty snowy car parks. Driving around on dodgy tyres or carrying on driving even though the clutch has gone or, in my case for a month during the epic snow of 1982, when the exhaust has come away at the manifold.
When they finally have to drive on slippery surfaces they are clueless.

Not their fault I suppose.

Shame about the wine though.

Snow may be unusual in the South, but this winter proves that it does get icy and it even snows, a lot!

I personally think we should fall in line with most of Europe and make some kind legal or legislative change which makes winter tyres a requirement in certain conditions, eg on snow covered roads, and recommended during winter months, eg implications in the event of an incident when using summer tyres during winter.

Announce it with say 3 years notice before enforcement, so people have time to get ready. It needn't be expensive either, as your tyres last twice as long when your mileage is split across two sets of tyres, and in countries where this is the norm, there's a healthy secondhand market for tyres, which helps when changing cars.

:mad:We have really pathetic snow here and I am not happy about it:mad:
Natacha, Jealous of all your snow pics

:mad:We have really pathetic snow here and I am not happy about it:mad:
Natacha, Jealous of all your snow pics

I'm 60 miles west of PCS and its just starting to get heavy.
Anyway, if the snow is too thick, your customers won't get up that hill to your workshop.

My youngest daughter is deputy manager at a dementia nursing home and was due in at 8am this morning. She lives in a semi rural area and her road was pretty poor this morning and not having any experience of driving on icy snow covered roads I got her to take a taxi to work this morning. Rather pay her taxi fare than see her have an accident and damage her new car.
The way the snow has intensified here I don't see her getting home tonight.

Anyway, if the snow is too thick, your customers won't get up that hill to your workshop.

Lots already havent...snow day! Although still here so its wishful thinking

I'm upset.

My mate Lloyd from Jamaica landed here on Tuesday.
A few weeks ago, he asked me for advice on walking out at night.
I told him to be safe and seen and wear white clothing.

His brother just texted me to say he's been mowed down by a snow plough.

It's only a joke. :)

Good point Rog, that hill is deadly :D

Well I'm Washington DC on day 10 of an 11 day training course.

Nervously watching BA cancelling today's flights home.

Looking at the forcast it's calling rain at LHR on Saturday morning (when I'm due to land) so fingers crossed.

I can't face any more meat-laden cheese-stuffed mayo-drenched American food. And I want to see my wife & kids.

I'm not a celebrity but get me out of here!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom