It,s like driving along a corrugated road

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

diandave

Car
Mercedes S204
(W211,76000 miles IL6) Any idea's what could cause this, I'm thinking maybe engine mounts or torque converter, it seems to happen in the lower gears, 2nd 3rd when you accelerate from about 10 to 20 mph it starts to judder if you ease off the power it stops it dosn't always do it but does seem to be getting worse, it isn't the Valeo problem as I've had gearbox oil cooler fitted months ago.

Sounds like the torque converter is in trouble.

I had this on one of my W211's which was on a 2003 and it was the engine mounts.

AT cruising speed it seems to be problem free, it's from low speed when you put the power on.

Just because you fitted an oil cooler doesn't mean that it can't be the tc, and a latent problem caused by the valeo rad.

I hope though that it is the engine mounts.

Just because you fitted an oil cooler doesn't mean that it can't be the tc, and a latent problem caused by the valeo rad.

I had the oil cooler fitted 7 months ago and the gearbox oil and filter changed at the same time.

Engine mounts or propshaft joints most likely candidates- does it under power due to TORQUE= the twisting of aforesaid components under load causing them to physically move about as they are not "restrained" enough by their mountings.

You were spot on, diagnosed Valeo problem after having oil cooler and gearbox oil and filter changed 7 months ago it has just shown up with a judder in the lower gears, so much for preventing it happening!!
Been quoted over 2 grand to have torque converter and gearbox reconditioned, told both would need doing.....:devil:

Bye Bye Mercedes

Shine a light. :eek: I assure you I take no pleasure in getting the diagnosis right. What a nightmare.

Not that it's any consolation I'm sure, but my patience is gradually being whittled away by my E320CDI. Far too many problems for it to be considered a quality product. MB should hang their corporate heads in shame.

The 211 really is becoming the new 210 (in terms of problems). What the 210 was to rust, the 211 is to electrical and mechanical nonsense.

Before condemning the car however, have a good search through these forums and see if there are other ways (and companies) to tackle the repairs. I'm sure it could be done for a good bit less than £2k.

Shine a light. :eek: I assure you I take no pleasure in getting the diagnosis right. What a nightmare.

Not that it's any consolation I'm sure, but my patience is gradually being whittled away by my E320CDI. Far too many problems for it to be considered a quality product. MB should hang their corporate heads in shame.

The 211 really is becoming the new 210 (in terms of problems). What the 210 was to rust, the 211 is to electrical and mechanical nonsense.

Before condemning the car however, have a good search through these forums and see if there are other ways (and companies) to tackle the repairs. I'm sure it could be done for a good bit less than £2k.

I'll keep my fingers crossed.

The gearbox isn't showing any error codes should it be ok?

Last edited:
Hi there
I had similar symptoms in my 2004 e320 cdi est,juddering between 20-40mph,sluggish and a rev counter that wouldnt sit still.
Got my local indy to lock up the tc via star and went for a drive.
It drove totally different.
I swallowed hard and decided to get new tc fitted,picked it up yesterday and all i can say is WOW the old girl is back!!
Gear changes so smoothe,it revs through the range with no hesitation.
Kickdown is immediate and it pulls like a train.
Obviously gearbox oil/filters ect were changed aswell.
Hope this helps
Cheers...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom