It,s like driving along a corrugated road

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
tc replacement

Maybe many t/c are being replaced when flex drive plate is the real problem if they crack or distort(common) damage to tc will result as tc is fluid drive there is generally external reason for failure "just bolting in new tc" is bad engineering background CAUSE and correction but this is moden trend put new part in without asking WHY failure .The biggest killer of t/cs are corrosion /overheat /age only early b/w 35/65 suffered mechanical failure

Vito 108cdi

my edc light comes/stays on after starting the engine. The engine does not pull after 2000 rpm. The maximum speed i can go is 60 mph. I sometimes stall on the way. Can anyone help me.
Cheers
Collins

my edc light comes/stays on after starting the engine. The engine does not pull after 2000 rpm. The maximum speed i can go is 60 mph. I sometimes stall on the way. Can anyone help me.
Cheers
Collins

Collins,

Welcome to the forum, you need to start a new tread for your query, otherwise you are hijacking a tread in use.

Last edited:
Well, my problem is now sorted, I drove it to the Merc indi thats always looks after my car, He drove it for about 30 mins. and confirmed Torque Converter slipping, he didn't hook it up to Star but said Torque Converter and Gearbox would have to be reconditioned it will cost £2150..:eek:
I recently was told of a Merc indi which is much closer to where I live, by the Belfry Golf Club I went to see him last Thursday, he road tested it and said it is the Torque Converter, he hooked it up to Star, it showed no fault codes so said Gearbox should be ok, he then phoned an auto gearbox repairer in Cannock that he deals with and it was booked in for last Monday for the Torque Converter to be recondition, he did all this and did not charge me for his services, he spent at least 2 hrs checking the car, thats fantastic service and will be using him in the future, Iv'e just picked the car up Friday and drove back 15 miles and it's perfect, the gear changes are silky smooth at a cost of £640. so very very pleased, a bit differant to £2150 and would the gearbox have been changed?
I dought it, so will not be using that company again

Last edited:
That's a pretty good result, all things considered.

Yes it's £640 you could have used elsewhere, but with the potential magnitude of the job in question, I reckon you've done pretty well there.

Well, my problem is now sorted, I drove it to the Merc indi thats always looks after my car, He drove it for about 30 mins. and confirmed Torque Converter slipping, he didn't hook it up to Star but said Torque Converter and Gearbox would have to be reconditioned it will cost £2150..:eek:
I recently was told of a Merc indi which is much closer to where I live, by the Belfry Golf Club I went to see him last Thursday, he road tested it and said it is the Torque Converter, he hooked it up to Star, it showed no fault codes so said Gearbox should be ok, he then phoned an auto gearbox repairer in Cannock that he deals with and it was booked in for last Monday for the Torque Converter to be recondition, he did all this and did not charge me for his services, he spent at least 2 hrs checking the car, thats fantastic service and will be using him in the future, Iv'e just picked the car up Friday and drove back 15 miles and it's perfect, the gear changes are silky smooth at a cost of £640. so very very pleased, a bit differant to £2150 and would the gearbox have been changed?
I dought it, so will not be using that company again

Sounds good, who was local guy and which company in Cannock?

I wonder if that was Neil Smith Transmissions?

The Merc Indi his name is Tim, he served his time at Mercedes- Tamworth for over 20 years, he's a really nice guy and knows his stuff, and will spend time explaining things, he really gives you the personal touch.

Monarch Independent Mercedes Tamworth Road Wishaw

The auto gearbox guy who reconditioned my Torque Converter.
His name is Andy, his company is: Transgo, Conduit Road, Norton Canes, Cannock.

Hope this helps any of you guys get a good job done, at very reasonable cost.

Just been to the New Forest for a week, drove 520 miles, no problems, gear changes are still silky smooth, well pleased...:D

Dave - Glad it's driving nicely.

I know exactly where this place is and pass it regularly - never even realised it was there though.

Just been to the New Forest for a week, drove 520 miles, no problems, gear changes are still silky smooth, well pleased...:D

Dave - Glad it's driving nicely.

I know exactly where this place is and pass it regularly - never even realised it was there though.

Thanks

Very pleased with work done and cost a lot less than I first thought.

Hi guys. I think i have got the same problem on my S320CDI 03 plate, 127k miles. Vibrations at low speed 1200-1800rpm only when accelerating, specially up hill. Yesterday i had the message on the dashboard screen: PRE-SAFE INACTIVE for the second time this month, and i think this is due to the torque converter problem. When the message appears on the screen the car is accelerating VERY slowly and i can't drive it fast. Then if You stop the engine the car is not starting again and the gearbox get blocked. I couldn't change it from parking to neutral, reverse or drive. Blocked!. But the car did start the next day. And then i had the same problem last night as i said. You might think that i'm crazy driving the car in this condition but i don't trust any garage anymore!!! Not even MB main dealers! PLEASE HELP if You know some decent guys to do this job. Is very hard to find a honest people in London. CHEERS!

I dont think it can be the Valeo problem as it didn't affect the S class, as with my car it was a worn ar damaged torque converter, the symptoms sound very simular but I didn't get gearbox lockout or red lights on dash.
It really needs to go on Star to check if for gearbox fault codes.

Cheers Dave. I will try to visit the workshop next week and i hope to hear good news from them. Hope not to spend thousands. Keep in touch :)

Yes I think they are all related... VMTP do the spanner work and the other guys recon the parts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom