IT Training

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

imadoofus

MB Enthusiast
Car
This and that.
This isn't for me (or for anyone I know), but merely a question for all the IT experts we have on the forum.

There are various IT training companies advertising on the telly, all promising certification in this and that, and assistance in finding a job, which will be well paid and deeply satisfying.

My question is: are any of these companies and their claims credible?

TIA

PJ

I am the Technical manager of a wide area networking company and these days I wouldnt want to employ soemone who has done course but doesnt have any real world experience.
A recent applicant for an engineering position had done a fastrack CCNA course but had no previous experience, and his expectation was that he would walk into the job, get a decent company car and a salary approx £10k pa more than mine - he was disappointed
We ended up employing a youngster with some experience, plenty of drive and ambition, who we can train to the standards and level we require.

I have employed guys from 17-55 with no prejudice if they show the ambition and core understanding required to be a good comms engineer, If they show me a piece of unsupported paper and a salary demand they won't get to the interview stage.

I agree, most of the people I know who work in IT have few formal qualifications in it. Experience is all, and IT being such a vast area means that choosing the right area to go into is akin to trying to make money from shares. Also the claim that the average wage in IT is £37k may be statistically accurate, but it is misleading.

I have been an IT Contractor in Banking since 1993. Apart from GCSE's and a HND in Software Engineering, I have no other qualifications. I have noticed that many roles are now asking for at least an MCSE, even for junior positions.

AI. I've done 2 courses. Passed both first time. It's worth speaking to Tim (the MD - yes, he does take calls), but the short version is they are good, and stand by their promises. PM for details, more info.

Yeah, I wouldn't touch these training/recruitment providers either. Never met anyone who's taken that approach into IT.

A better route into IT later in a career is IMHO becoming an business expert involved in an IT project, making an easy transition to applications, although it would be a leap further still to get into hardware and infrastructure.

Thanks all. As I said, I have no interest in this myself, just wondering about the claims they make.

Two years spent implementing the European end of a $10.5m MAPICS (heard of that? Thought not... :rolleyes: ) installation for a US client is enough IT for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom