Italian Touring Bike...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spinal

MB Enthusiast
Car
x254, G350, Duster, S320, Mach1, 900ss and a few more
So now that I've seen a few rays of sun, I'm tempted to trade in a bike or two and get a touring bike...

That said, as usual, it needs to be Italian (like all my bikes!)

Any ideas?

I was thinking of a Ducati ST2 or ***... they have some good reviews and look quite nice...

Any others come to mind?

M.

ducati_multistrada_1200_red.jpg

I was thinking of a Ducati ST2 or ***... they have some good reviews and look quite nice...
Rode to the south of France and back with a guy on an ST2 a few years ago. It seemed to perform reasonably well and we did manage to tie back on most of the bits that fell off it during the trip (I'm being serious...). Ducati's are wonderful bikes but if you're intending to tour the last thing you need is something that's prone to needing "intervention" at regular intervals.

If you want Italian then take a look at the Guzzi's (the Norge gets some good press) which have the advantage of shaft drive, the convenience of which shouldn't be underestimated. Failing that, it's all the usual suspects.

I'm with Sp!ke on this one, but then I'm biased, cos I'm loving mine :D

Not cheap though, lol

Take your SS, it will be fine if a bit wristy :D.

Get a Ventura rack or similar and off you go. I'd wager all bikes get uncomfortable on a long trip ;) mine certainly did but it didn't stop me making the trips.

Ade

Take a proper V2 Italian sports bike. Rip off most of the bodywork, add sensible bars and a small screen and you have a bike which tours better than almost anything I have ridden including most BMWs:eek:
But you can, of course, be a complete hooliac if required:eek:
I recommend the Aprilia Tuono Factory.

Last edited:
Ooooh. Me likey! What's that then?

Cheers,

Gaz

(Who's not allowed a bike :mad:)

That, my dear chap, is a Ducati Multistrada 1200. Basically a retuned 1198 engine in a big trailie-esque frame. Goes like stink, you can be scratching with superbikes at the weekend, then Monday morning the panniers/topbox go on for the weekly commute...this is exactly what I do.

Funnily enough I used to have a Tuono - great bike IMO despite my inability to gel with it at the time. Not sure I'd want to do 1500+ miles a month on one though (which is my current commute).

Last edited:
Non road legal can
Non road legal index plate

Both those could be legal... Could be he has a low numbered private plate which fits on one line with standard letters and spacing...

Also, cans are stamped on the end if they are road/race and you can't see that from there. Might also have a bung in...

unlikely I grant you especially given the response so far but shouldn't jump to conclusions.

My bike is totally legal by the way, assuming it's standing still at least!

That new multistrada looks good. Beyond that you are quite limited if it has to be Italian. I wouldn't be confident touring on an older one!

m.

I really fancy one of these:
mikes_futura.jpg

But after being let down in the middle of Germany by an Aprilia once I'm a bit scared! Did twice the miles the next year on a BMW and not a single issue -I think I'd rather rely on old school tech rather than italian electrics!

I was a member of ducatisti and of the other one... uhm... ducati sporting club a while back... haven't logged in for a while as the atmosphere was never one I really liked...

I didn't think of the multistrada... may add that that to list ;)

Thanks for the ideas!

M.

If the 1200 is a bit steep in price (which I suspect it might be given you've been considering ST2/4), perhaps look at one of the 1000/1100DS's instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom