Italy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 37751

At some point in the not-too-distant future, me and the wife want to sample all of the delights of Italy and in preparation I've been learning the lingo for quite some time.

Anyway...what I'd like to know is do any of you have experience of holidaying in Italy, I'm think more of Palermo and the South, and obviously Rome.

Is there any secret places away from the beaten track that you'd recommend?

All input greatly received.

Personally I would take that CL down through France , blast it through some tunnels and follow your nose.

I love all that type of stuff me!

Last edited:
Spent numerous holidays in Rome, been to Palermo for a great trip and various other holidays to the country.

I need another espresso or two though before the brain clicks into the necessary gear to summon up a coherent set of recommendations!

I enjoy the east coast, Naples is a fantastic visit. Capri obviously but also the smaller fishing towns like Pouzoulli.

One place i can recommend 100%, that i went to recently, is Corsica, although your french would be needed rather than your italian, but would be worth a stop over before heading onto rome maybe.

Lee

Be warned.. The entire country is packed out with Italians all year round. Best avoid it. Stay at home buy some Garlic Bread and Pasta you'll be fine.

Italy is great fun! As a general rule it becomes more anarchic the further south you go, with parts of the north being very similar to the rest of northern Europe except with more style :)

Palermo is a hoot. You can spend hours people watching or being entertained by the chaotic traffic. Don't go in August as the heat and humidity is oppressive.

I'll think about some recommendations and post again later.

Personally I would take that CL down through France , blast it through some tunnels and follow your nose.

I love all that type of stuff me!

I'd do exactly the same but giving France a BIG swerve, go down through Belgium and Germany far cheaper and far nicer. I know some real off the tourist routes in Tuscany and Tuscan riviera which are very rustic and authentic Italy.

This thread I started may help as we are also looking at going next year as you will see from the thread

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/ot-o...dations-holiday-italy-july-august-2014-a.html

You can easily spend a whole trip just in Sicily. Plenty of things to see/do and very varied. If you like the idea of Sicily just fly and pick up a hire car. You wont need to worry about the chaotic driving too much then. The trouble with Italy is that there are just too many places to visit and things to see. If you try to cover a large area you will go crazy. Pick one region and visit some of the smaller less well known spots. These are often the most rewarding.

Flying there or driving there?

Rome and anywhere south of it is superb. North of Rome - it is just anywhere else in Europe. Most disappointing city ever visited, Venice.

Flying there or driving there?

I'll be flying there, as much as I like driving, I don't want to be spending the best part of two days in the car when I'm meant to be on holiday.

You can easily spend a whole trip just in Sicily. Plenty of things to see/do and very varied. If you like the idea of Sicily just fly and pick up a hire car. You wont need to worry about the chaotic driving too much then. The trouble with Italy is that there are just too many places to visit and things to see. If you try to cover a large area you will go crazy. Pick one region and visit some of the smaller less well known spots. These are often the most rewarding.

Sicily is definitely first on the list of places to go and even though a lot of travel guides seem against it, I'm adamant that I want to visit Corleone.

Lee

Be warned.. The entire country is packed out with Italians all year round. Best avoid it. Stay at home buy some Garlic Bread and Pasta you'll be fine.

I don't know where or how the interest began (maybe Channel 4 showing Italian football in the early 90's come to think) but I've always had this strange pull towards Italy and have even took to learning the language so I can enjoy our visit even more once we do get there.

Everything about the country appeals to me; the culture, the history, the cuisine, the cars, the architecture, pretty much everything.

More power to you for learning the language.

What's not to like. Great weather, great country, great food, wonderful language, very friendly people and beautiful women with lots of class.

Just been on a cruise that included a day in Messina, Sicily and was very disappointed with that. Wish I had went on the Godfather tour instead. I love Venice, small enough to get around with loads of shops and away from St Marks Sq very reasonably priced and the area itself is pretty handy for Lake Como, Verona and Modena. I've also heard that the train fares in Italy are very reasonable if you fancy touring around.

PS miss Naples like the plague

Amalfi Coast for me, particularly Ravello.

Rome is definitely worth a visit, great architecture and a wonderful busy but typically Italian atmosphere. Be careful there where you eat, as some restaurants can be disappointing.

Jules.

Sicily is definitely first on the list of places to go and even though a lot of travel guides seem against it, I'm adamant that I want to visit Corleone.
I'm guessing you want to visit the World Anti-Mafia Centre in Corleone? If so, it's well worth it but don't just turn up as the opening hours are a bit erratic and (even with your new language skills) it's best to have an English-speaking guide to tell you about the place.

We really struggled to make contact with them from the UK but eventually managed it and had a fascinating tour guided by a Canadian girl who is married to a grandson of one of the "more involved" locals (who ended up getting shot in the 1920's). As well as the full trial records from the 1980's "maxi trials", the place houses hundreds of photos recording the death and destruction that the Mafia have caused. The guide we had knew and related the context and symbolism of many of the photo's which was invaluable to gaining an understanding of what went on.

I honestly think it's impossible to understand some of Palermo unless and until you've learnt about the crime and corruption that shaped, and in some respects still shapes, it. For example there are still parts of the city that are derelict as a result WWII bomb damage, primarily because the Mafia have continually syphoned off reconstruction funds. Despite all that, if you like "shabby chic" then Palermo is a great place to visit.

PM me if you want the email contact we have for the Anti Mafia Centre.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom