It's a Lexus, but I Could Well Be Tempted...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

E55BOF

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
CLS63 SB, SLK55, Cooper S, Triumph Sprint (Bike not Dolly...),
Ladies and Gentlemen, what think you to this?

2005 LEXUS RX400-H Hybrid 4x4 3.3V6 SE Auto | eBay

It ticks an awful lot of boxes for me, not least the colour scheme (which was mainly why I bought the ML420, tbh); if it were an ML420 or ML500 I'd have it like a shot.

I definitely don't want a 2009-on version, primarily because of the bizarre front end styling (Transformers R Us meets Origami...), so a sensible-mileage earlier one like this it would have to be.

It's not much more than half the mileage of the ML, and likely to be very reliable long-term, while the ML may or may not be (and if it's not, anything major on the engine or gearbox will cost an armannaleg in labour costs to fix...). I could stop wondering/worrying about reliability, and what oil to use, and bloody DPFs, and sludged-up inlet tracts, and just drive the thing...

Any and all opinions are very welcome, especially from any forum members who have had one.

Last edited:
drive it first. I found it terrible to ride in. Very unsettled and clunky. Nasty

I’ve been looking at these for the old man to replace his RR as a town car. From my research and one test drive:

The 450 actually looks to be the favoured model.

The weirdest gearing I’ve probably encountered in an auto.

Feels remarkably small inside compared to its exterior.

Interiors tend to age well.

Ignore the temptation of the hybrid part, they’re pretty poor on petrol by all accounts.

A former business partner owned a 450 from new, only serviced it twice during the 80k he put on it and it didn’t miss a beat.

drive it first. I found it terrible to ride in. Very unsettled and clunky. Nasty

Was that this model, or the subsequent 2009-on version? I've read comments like that in a review of the later one, but the comments on the ride of this model were good.

I’ve been looking at these for the old man to replace his RR as a town car. From my research and one test drive:

The 450 actually looks to be the favoured model.

The 450 is the 2009-on version; i don't want one of those. I'm not overly bothered by the fuel consumption, either, so the hybrid setup isn't important - unless it goes wrong, but as it's a Lexus, it probably won't...

Last edited:
Ah Dennis as I expected the ML will be up for sale soon :D

Imported one to Nassau from Japan, along with W168, the tax was less on the RX400h than A190, despite the actual vehicle costing 5 times more FOB.
I liked it. Wasn't anywhere near as fun as the GLK we kept in Florida, but it was solid and practical.

The previous owner of my house had a facelift second generation when they were new. It says a lot that she's still running 12 years later.

My next door neighbour had the RX350 which she loved, and regrets having sold it to buy an X1 instead.

Lexus are insanely reliable and therefore cheap to run.

Personally, styling and ride quality I find a bit of an issue. Wouldn't call it "Japanese," rather "American." Once you get used to it, then fine, but Mercedes is a tough benchmark to match. That said, I'm no lover of Alabama's idea of a Mercedes SUV, the ML350.

If you enjoy a bargain, and I suspect you might, the petrol engine version, rather than the hybrid, is perhaps the one to go for. The difference in fuel consumption really isn't that great, but it doesn't have the bragging rights of the silent starting hybrid. In general these cars all have Lexus main dealer histories - their owners don't start using Indies after 5-6 years in the same way that owners of German cars do. (Partly the tech, but mainly because main dealers are so good and so cheap)

In a rational world, we should all buy Lexus from the World's number one car company, but I'll continue to stick with the Germans until they spectacularly let me down.

As regards that specific EBay car, personally I'd go for something slightly later and in a livelier colour - but that's purely personal taste.

Lexus-RX400h-2005-ig.jpg

Test drove a hydrid full loaded one, years ago and was very tempted. It drove a bit like a Range rover, floaty and elegant. Interior finish very eastern but well built and felt like it would out last me. (Bought my first 535d touring instead)

The only other 4x4 I would add to your list and I'm shock myself to be adding it, is an old member on here had now got a 2010 VW Touareg. Totally over engineered and a surprisingly good car.

Sent from my SM-N9600 using Tapatalk

I've had my RX450h for coming up to 2 years now. As you surmise, the looks are subjective but you don't see the front end when you're sat in it. I've also had Jeeps so understand ugly. :)

As mine is the later model (2014) there may not be too many similarities but I find the ride quality fine. Yes, perhaps a bit soft but designed more for comfort than for handling. The transmission is CVT so a bit strange to get used to with the instant revs but lack of immediate response from the car. The interior is made with good quality materials and should last the life of the car comfortably. It's a bit on the bland side when driving, with little or no drama, typical of most high end Japanese cars I suppose, a bit lacking in character. Fuel consumption on mine varies from 30+ around town to nearly 40 on a run which I consider pretty good for a car of this size.

The boot floor is staggered which can be a bit awkward when loading long heavy objects, apparently to accommodate the battery layout but it's not that bad and is under the rear seat.

The only things which have gone wrong on mine are the tailgate motor packing in, which I believe is not that uncommon, and the small battery in the boot dying, probably through lack of use. The tailgate was repaired under warranty but would have been an expensive fix according to my dealer, like over £1,200 with parts and labour. This did decide me to extend the warranty as, for under a grand, I got an extra 2 years out of it. The battery is just a consumable but the AA man the warranty people sent managed to knock an ECU out as, in his words, "I'm not qualified to work on hybrids". Grrr...

In summary, a good reliable family car which can alternatively be a very good workhorse.

Gratuitous picture of the face which only a mother could love: -

OSF Small.jpg

They have an issue between 1st and 2nd gear(not a fault).
When coming up to a junction or roundabout the gearing is wrong for both gears, so it normally drops to first with a small jerk, then you have to drive it again to get it into 2nd.

It's not a problem, but that's what people class as the jerky issue.

I have an rx300 roughly the same year as the ad, had it about 7 years and it was(practically) faultless.

I've had a few Lexus, and would recommend 100% for reliability and drive.
You can also park them and not worry about them being stolen or scratched by envious people.

You can also park them and not worry about them being stolen or scratched by envious people.

Although be very aware that they are one of the most targetted cars for cat theft. Probably due to bigger, older and more expensive ones. There's a massive thread on this on the Lexus Forums and was one in at Torque Flow in MSL the last time I was there. They also reckon it's a common trait...

Although be very aware that they are one of the most targetted cars for cat theft. Probably due to bigger, older and more expensive ones. There's a massive thread on this on the Lexus Forums and was one in at Torque Flow in MSL the last time I was there. They also reckon it's a common trait...

It's a Toyota/Lexus thing then.
I read that Priuses are targeted also. Toyota went from ordering 60 Prius cats one year to 2800 the following and couldn't at one point supply the demand. Worse, the replacements are often stolen within a week of being installed - another £1200.

Daveenty, that one of yours doesn't look too bad from that angle. Hmmm... So I tried a search for RX450s, and came up with this:

Lexus RX 450h 450H SE-I - 1 OWNER PETROL AUTOMATIC 2010/10 | eBay

Now that looks just fine; better than fine, in fact. If only MB had sold a lot more W164s in that sort of colour combination, I'd be spoilt for choice. It's more than I was thinking of spending, but still...

I guess the only thing to do is to go and drive one, and see if I like it. The 350, 400h and 450h all seem to have pretty much the same performance, and while they're slower than the ML420, they're about the same as my W163 ML500, and I was quite happy with its performance.

Last edited:
Daveenty, that one of yours doesn't look too bad from that angle. Hmmm... So I tried a search for RX450s, and came up with this:

Lexus RX 450h 450H SE-I - 1 OWNER PETROL AUTOMATIC 2010/10 | eBay

Now that looks just fine; better than fine, in fact. If only MB had sold a lot more W164s in that sort of colour combination, I'd be spoilt for choice. It's more than I was thinking of spending, but still...

I guess the only thing to do is to go and drive one, and see if I like it. The 350, 400h and 450h all seem to have pretty much the same performance, and while they're slower than the ML420, they're about the same as my W163 ML500, and I was quite happy with its performance.

I like that :)

Ladies and Gentlemen, what think you to this?

2005 LEXUS RX400-H Hybrid 4x4 3.3V6 SE Auto | eBay

It ticks an awful lot of boxes for me, not least the colour scheme (which was mainly why I bought the ML420, tbh); if it were an ML420 or ML500 I'd have it like a shot.

I definitely don't want a 2009-on version, primarily because of the bizarre front end styling (Transformers R Us meets Origami...), so a sensible-mileage earlier one like this it would have to be.

It's not much more than half the mileage of the ML, and likely to be very reliable long-term, while the ML may or may not be (and if it's not, anything major on the engine or gearbox will cost an armannaleg in labour costs to fix...). I could stop wondering/worrying about reliability, and what oil to use, and bloody DPFs, and sludged-up inlet tracts, and just drive the thing...

Any and all opinions are very welcome, especially from any forum members who have had one.

I have just purchased a 450h. I considered a ML500 but there was only 1 on autotrader at the time! Not even 15mpg and £570ved put me off. The 420 was out of the question as I live near a ULEZ zone, and there is a permit surcharge for a diesel as well

I did consider a 400h but I've owned a 300 before wanted a change (I know you don't like the newer shape). Lexus now give you a 15 year warranty on hybrid batteries, so if you purchase a late model 400h you are still covered for a few years. Either pay £60 a year at the dealer to get it done, or get it serviced at main dealer and the check is included.

I have had 5 Lexus, maybe not the most exciting drive but very reliable. The CVT that journalists kick up a fuss about is fantastic, mpg I'm getting around 35 in town which is great for a 2.2 ton truck with 300bhp.

Plenty of 1 owner cars with full main dealer histories as well. Most are well specified, the 400h will have nav, electric seats, heated seats xenon, rear camera and even a tape deck! Oddly parking sensors were only avaliable aftermarket and it's a big car, the turning circle is not the greatest in the world either. You couldn't get air suspension on a 400h, its avaliable on 450h but the shocks are about £800 a corner, no aftermarket option....

The 450h if you can live with the styling will gain keyless entry/go, park assist, bluetooth streaming, aux, usb,auto fold mirrors, cheap tax, bigger boot. You can even get them with head up display and illuminated door sills if that's your thing. If you can see past the styling the 450h is a better car.

If you can see past the styling the 450h is a better car.

The styling on that blue 450h looks fine to me; it's the enormous, angular one-piece grille on the later ones that I really don't like. I think I'll have to go and see it soon - and it's not far from me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom