It's Been Nearly Four Months Of W211 Sport Ownership And I've Enjoyed Every Minute.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 37751

I bought my facelift 2007 W211 E320 CDi Sport at the beginning of December and have covered a decent 3,500 miles in that time. This average will go up greatly over the summer with trips to the coast & other family jaunts planned.

Since purchase the only 'parts' I've replaced have been the windscreen wipers.

Through the winter I was averaging 28 mpg round town and 42 mpg on a run. Since the warmer weather has arrived, I've averaged 35 mpg round town and 50 mpg on a run.

This is my fifth W211 and I've got to say that it's been head and shoulders above the rest; the steering is sharper, there is less body movement round the twisty stuff and for reasons I'm not sure of, it 'feels' lighter than my other W211's.

The 7 speed gearbox is a big step up from the 5 speed, it always seems to be in just the correct gear, this is helped by the flappy paddles when I'm 'in the mood'.

The 3.0 V6 engine is also a very good unit. The old IL6 was very good in its day but after driving this car and then driving a IL6, it made it feel a tad sluggish, in the same way that my 270 IL5 felt slightly agricultural after having owned a 320 IL6.

Anyway, I had a spare few hours today so I thought I'd give her a good clean, polish and wax; Autoglym shampoo, Mirror Image polish from AutoSmart and Blue Coral AutoFom car wax that I found in my garage but I don't remember buying it...

Here's a few pictures.... (I'll post some interior shots when I get the chance to give it a good fettle)

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad you've been enjoying yourself - nice job on the cleaning too :)

K

I will keep an eye out for it in the classsifieds in may/june:p

I've been toying with the idea of selling it and buying two cars; one for mI familia and a weekend toy but this car is just that good at everything it is beginning to seem a daft thing to do.

Loving shot four where the shadow on the rear bumper looks like some enormous diffuser thingy.

Your lucky, im on nearly £1500 to date.... anniversary is May and I need 4 tyres... another ball joint/control arm... possibly need the inlet shut off changing and the gearbox... doh..

Lovely looking motor though!

SPX: were you once a Citroen owner? (reference the number plate)

Looking good :)

I was in a similar boat to sell my IL6 E320cdi put a pot of money in and then swap for a sport model of the same car....

I appreciate the V6 is probably smoother, but I doubt I would get 'twice' the car for the money it would cost?

Changing my wheels is almost half way there for me and I'm happy as it looks like a new car :) with the D6 box its also quite nippy for a bus.

DSCF0248-1.jpg

Good to read positive posts on your cars SPX and A210AMG, both look fabulous and them alloys really set the cars off a treat. :thumb:

Mark

Looking good :)

I was in a similar boat to sell my IL6 E320cdi put a pot of money in and then swap for a sport model of the same car....

I appreciate the V6 is probably smoother, but I doubt I would get 'twice' the car for the money it would cost?

Thanks. :D

I didn't mean to sound derogatory towards the 'old' IL6, far from it, I just wanted to write a little piece for anyone that was thinking of 'updating' and wanted an insight from someone that's owned two IL6's & two V6's.

^ I didn't read it like that at all, that's ok :)

I've never driven one, and don't want to as then I may want to swap... I think once my current car is up for change it will be a S212, ML or R class.

I was close to swapping mine for a newer sport but this car has been so good I don't think it makes sence to do that.

Is yours a keeper then? rather than chop it for a 2.5..16V or G Class?

Is yours a keeper then? rather than chop it for a 2.5..16V or G Class?
A keeper to me is more than six months!

The way business has been I don't have to sell it to finance a 'project', I can keep it and leisurely look for something.

I'd be loathe to get rid anyway, it's got TVs in the headrests for the children, Playstation in the armrest, we went to the coast on Saturday and didn't hear a peep out of the children.

Nice wheels A210. They do make the car look a lot better.

Although we have Lee's posts on how great the V6CDi is, lets not lose track of the other side to owning that engine.

Great cars to drive when they work, but a pain when they do not.

Although we have Lee's posts on how great the V6CDi is, lets not lose track of the other side to owning that engine.

Great cars to drive when they work, but a pain when they do not.

That would imply that the engine is temperamental, which besides yourself and barely a handful of others isn't quite correct.

You're more than welcome to start your own thread about your experiences with your car Steve, as I've said earlier, this is my experience of the five W211's I've owned with this one being the best so far, all of them have been a joy to own in different ways.

That would imply that the engine is temperamental, which besides yourself and barely a handful of others isn't quite correct.

Hmm, plenty of IPS motor threads.

You're more than welcome to start your own thread about your experiences with your car Steve, as I've said earlier, this is my experience of the five W211's I've owned with this one being the best so far, all of them have been a joy to own in different ways.

No need, I have had two in the technical section.

Although, I may heed your suggestion, but not about breakdowns, rust and jerky gear changes as I've been back from tour.

I do agree from 40k miles in this car and about 45k IIRC in an AG that the sports spec is the one to have, and thats probably why you've enjoyed this car the most, as the AGs etc really are a bit too soft.

Hmm, plenty of IPS motor threads.

No need, I have had two in the technical section.

Although, I may heed your suggestion, but not about breakdowns, rust and jerky gear changes as I've been back from tour.

I've just done a quick forum search on your favourite subject of inlet port problems and besides you putting any V6 problems down to it, there's not a great deal.

You've admitted that you seem to have bought a dog of a car, doesn't mean they're all like it. I had similar bad experiences with Audis to what you're having with yours, but I wouldn't tar them all with the same brush.

C'mon, its a well known bug, speak to any indy and they say its a major design weakness.

My good friend that works for Mercedes commercial has never seen or heard of this problem on the Vitos or Sprinters with the V6 CDis and how many do you think he sees?

My indie has never come across this problem either.

There are many Mercedes common faults that I would happily list or agree to but in my experience and speaking to people who deal with these engines on a regular basis, I can't accept that this is such a common fault as you're trying to make out.

It may turn out to be entirely coincidental that I don't know of any instances of problems, yet there is an epidemic of them out there.

I have never heard of this till this thread to be honest. I know Steve's car has caused him issues, but I though post 2006 W211's are pretty solid?

I am less than a week without my E320cdi and I am missing it like mad and regret letting it go. I know I wanted to go down to one car and was going to be sensible and buy something oldish, maybe a S210 E320cdi or 2003 V70, but I just don't think I can.

I shouldn't have sold it.:(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom