It's here my new C350 CDI :)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
What is it that they say about assumption being...

...the mother and father of all c*ck-ups? :eek:
MB UK website still says single turbo for the E350CDI...
I knew that I'd read somewhere that the 265hp V6 CDI engine was twin-turbo, so delved around until I found it. This is the source, the current C-Class pricelist downloadable from the MB website (C-Class S+E Edition_125_September_2011.pdf). Note the text "Common-rail diesel with twin turbochargers" and the compression ration of 16.2:1...

d7fe68a8.jpg

For comparison, here's the equivalent page from the current E-Class pricelist (E-Class_Saloon_and_Estate_Edition_125_Pricelist_July_2011). That states "Common-rail diesel with turbocharger" and a compression ratio of 15.5:)1)...

94c377fa.jpg

Note also that the power output and torque is stated as the same for the engine in both the C-Class and the E-Class. So why would one have twin-turbo's and a higher compression ratio vs a single turbo and a lower compression ratio? I don't think they do. I think it's just that the text in the boxes in the C-Class brochure has been replicated from that of the 4-pot engine :rolleyes:

So, with my curiosity piqued, I popped the cover off the engine of my W212:

94ed01b3.jpg

Unless someone has stolen the second turbo(!), I think this confirms that the 265hp V6 CDI engine in the W212 does, indeed, have just the one turbocharger. All we need now is for someone (gr4z?) to pop the cover off the motor in their C350CDI and post a piccy and the mystery will be solved :thumb:

265bhp V6 350 is single turbo, whether in C Class or E Class.

I wish MB would move towards a twin turbo 3.0 a la Alpina BMW and now Audi (I think).

Both are around the 300bhp mark - yum.

I wish MB would move towards a twin turbo 3.0 a la Alpina BMW and now Audi (I think).

Yeah 265bhp would be a bit too low for a twin turbo 3 litre. My old 2007 335i coupe was twin turbo with 306bhp, lovely :rock:

EDIT: Oh wait, just noticed we're talking rattle boxes not petrol, sorry.

Actually both the 2012 Audi A6 and 2012 535D are both hitting 313bhp which is staggering.

Of course there is an interesting problem for MB here now as both their website and their printed brochure and price list clearly state that the C350CDI has a twin turbo.

When I collect mine on Saturday do I claim I am missing turbo charger?

Actually both the 2012 Audi A6 and 2012 535D are both hitting 313bhp which is staggering.

Of course there is an interesting problem for MB here now as both their website and their printed brochure and price list clearly state that the C350CDI has a twin turbo.

Yes and demand a full refund.

Naturally you will walk out without a car as well :eek:....

He's right - it does :confused:.

I'd love it if they'd sneaked in a new engine with t/t.

Not all changes are released with a fanfare, so who knows?

Ask how much a replacement turbo, intake and exhaust manifold and fitting is then ask for that as a price reduction as it's missing from your car.

For comparison, here's the equivalent page from the current E-Class pricelist (E-Class_Saloon_and_Estate_Edition_125_Pricelist_July_2011). That states "Common-rail diesel with turbocharger" and a compression ratio of 15.5:)1)...

At 15:1 it's not surprising they are so poor on fuel now, it's amazing that they actually start.

I can not imagine how they would fit two turbo's into the engine bay of a W204. I definately would not want the bill if one of them went. It's tight enough in there already.

At 15:1 it's not surprising they are so poor on fuel now, it's amazing that they actually start.

I was going to say, what is the minimum compression ratio you can get on a diesel engine before you need to spark it to ignite the fuel?

At least the engine won't be under a lot of stress, thats nowt for a diesel

Only a single turbo...

Check out this technical article on the OM642 LS engine (starts page 22):

MTZ Worldwide May 2011

It says they decided to use a single ball bearing turbo with an uprated turbine to produce a fast spooling unit with reduced lag.

Looking forward to getting my C350CDI in 3 weeks time! :D

Finally got an interior shot! Sorry for the delay :)

Attachments

• interior.jpg
    interior.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 152
So, with my curiosity piqued, I popped the cover off the engine of my W212:

94ed01b3.jpg

Sorry to highjack the thread but It's possible to post some more pictures of the engine bay without the engine cover please?
And if not asking to much a closer photo to the turbo and it's part number! ;)

I'm curious to see some of the little differences to the 224 and 231hp versions :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom