It's like a noisy tappet type noise..??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

merc180k

Car
C180K Avantgarde SE Sport
Hi all,

needing to pick the collective knowledge pool of the forum if I may...!

Put Mrs M's car in for a major service at the local garage with all well when it was dropped off. Unfortunately it now seems to have developed a noise when running (after the service) that sounds very much like you would expect with noisy tappets.

Any ideas what would have caused this? I've left the car at the garage to investigate further stressing that the noise was not there when left. The manager also agrees having driven the car into the bays this morning and he says he didn't hear anything like it this morning.

Any ideas on possible causes/solutions? Car is a C-max 1.6 petrol. Garage have done plugs, filters and oil changes.

Cheers
Simon

Is it a rhythmic tick which gets faster with engine revs?
Yes. Although on low revs (idle) the engine seems to be struggling and almost cutting out. Noise is louder here, then above 3k revs it seems to disappear returning when you allow to idle again. :dk:

it could be that they have used an oil that is too thin for the car.

I would ask them what oil they have put in and check against your manufacturer spec!

Ok, now you have replied to the previous post, disregard my first comment!
It sounds like it could be one of the leads is not on properly.

Last edited:
it could be that they have used an oil that is too thin for the car.

I would ask them what oil they have put in and check against your manufacturer spec!

Ok, now you have replied to the previous post, disregard my first comment!
It sounds like it could be one of the leads is not on properly.
I've left the car with them but want to be prepared for the call tomorrow. I had thought about the oil but what makes you think a lead - you thinking a misfire?

no not a misfire, if the lead is not quite on properly, the spark will be jumping, and you can hear this, sounds a bit like a tappet to be honest, slight crackly noise.

my friend had this on his bmw, he was sure it was tappets, but upon me having a look, one of the spark leads were not on properly, as they only push on its not a problem, just push down some some untill you can feel a click

Hi Merc180k,

Did you have any joy with your car? did you and the garage get to the bottom of what was causing the noise?

My vote would be incorrectly seated spark plug(s). Worst case would be a cross threaded plug.

Have they definitely filled it with oil?

No joy as yet.

Went along this morning for a chat and progress update. Car sounds a lot better after a flush of oil and refill. They have added an oil conditioner to try to help clear the engine out - ok with this as a one off. Car is still with them and they have now organised a hire car at their cost for the duration. They are planning to remove the rocker cover on Monday to try to get to the bottom of it.

We have found that the previous garage added 10W40 oil to the car at last years service (6k miles ago) rather than 5W30 although not sure that this will have had much impact given it is a thicker oil.

Fingers crossed, but after the oil drain and refill done again yesterday the noise is less obvious and is only apparent when returning to idle. There is still a misfire there though.

Whole thing just seems really odd and hoping it is an easy fix once they get the cover off in Monday. What would they be looking for by taking that off by the way? What would that show?

Cheers
Simon

FORD ZETEC engines must be fed the correct grade of oil that meets FORD
WSS-M2C 913-C spec i.e. semisynthetic/ synthetic 5W30 ---this is to prevent oil starvation to the valve gear when cold-- the valves can stick!. It sounds as if there may be a wear problem due the use of the wrong grade of oil last time. Sometimes a problem like this only manifests itself after an oil change so it may not be the fault of the garage who did your oil change this time. :dk: However they may have made a mistake during servicing which has damaged the engine somehow. It almost impossible to say. :doh: The engine may have been [only temporarily?? :(]quietened by using STP or some other additive but until its refilled with the correct Ford approved 5w30 without additives you won't know for sure.

>>FORD ZETEC engines must be fed the correct grade of oil that meets FORD WSS-M2C 913-C spec i.e. semisynthetic/ synthetic 5W30

I fully agree.

For most engines, using the exact type of oil isn't massively important, but, these Ford engines are noable exceptions.

I'll update on Monday night when I know more.
Thanks all so far for the input.
Simon

Any news?
No definitive news yet, however I have been told that they have taken the rocker cover off the engine and cannot see anything that is causing the noise or misfire. Although they are sure it's a top of the engine noise!

They were going to look further into it today to see if they could identify if it is a tappet and if so which one. Manager says that is a hard job to do and not an easy fix. I am none the wiser and have no clue if that is true - I know how to change an oil filter, air filter and plugs, nothing more unfortunately!! :doh:

Is he right? Is it a difficult job? What would the rough costing of a tappet diagnostic and replacement be - any ideas?

That said, I have donated the W203 to the mrs for the short tterm and I am buzzing about in the hire car - a nice little 10 plate Punto Evo with all the toys. Touch underpowered though when pulling away and cruising on the motorway. :devil:

Were any of the spark plugs seized when changed,if so how did garage remove them,may have droped porcilen from plugs down bore and may have got stuck under exhaust valve likewise any grit may have droped down bore and when started got stuck under valve.usully a good run up the road sorts it out.:thumb:

Could it be a sticking lifter? If so, get some Forte Top End treatment, run it for about 200 miles and then do another oil and filter change.

All good suggestions - I'll ask when they call me tomorrow with progress.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom