It's not called 'Water Lane' for nothing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Howard

MB Club Veteran
Car
2018 C63 Wagon / CLK430 / A150 / VW Pink Floyd Golf Cabriolet
High water at teddington is at 1610 today , this is at 1600 :(

Unless it's the James Bond model ?

Attachments

• image-2572137686.jpg
    image-2572137686.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 265
The North Sea's been exceptionally rough this week with big swells but very calm today. Full moon last We'd or Thurs

Yesterday and today were big tides , there's not another tide this size forecast until Christmas Day.

Tide actually peaked with us at 1620 , so ten minutes more rise than predicted. That R8 is toast.

Howard, is the Thames Barrier closed on big tides or is it an on-site decision made at relevant times?

Barrier control make the decision to close based on various things , tide gauges on the east coast , wind direction, fluvial water flow etc.

A big tide like this , coupled with the water coming downstream currently ( not much ,100 cumecs-ish ) wouldn't be cause to close.

However , if there were 400 ish coming downstream , coupled with this tide , they'd have had a think about it. Not to defend London itself , but to defend Trowlock Island and Thames Ditton Island in SW London , which are the first places to go under when the land water meets the incoming tide around Teddington.

Yesterday and today were big tides , there's not another tide this size forecast until Christmas Day.

Tide actually peaked with us at 1620 , so ten minutes more rise than predicted. That R8 is toast.

I doubt it, but how much of a rise is there in the last 20 minutes of a rising tide, surely only an inch, if that.

I doubt it, but how much of a rise is there in the last 20 minutes of a rising tide, surely only an inch, if that.

Even an inch can make a massive difference. In the high tides earlier on in the year the places that were flooded were on the same street (and completely level to the eye) as places that were not on the local quay.

Even an inch can make a massive difference. In the high tides earlier on in the year the places that were flooded were on the same street (and completely level to the eye) as places that were not on the local quay.

Oddly enough, i was thinking more about the level against the Audi in the O/p.

As you mention water being a good level finder, surely an inch on a street where the Quay was dry, wouldn't have affected any car.

I've seen the results and effect of a 4' storm surge, incredible how it destroys everything in it's path. That was 4' over the land, about 20' higher than normal high tide.

Funnily enough , I have a reading for teddington.

1600 level was 18' 10"

High water 20 mins later was 19' 2" , so 4 inches rise in the final 20 mins

Overall rise from low water ( 9' 6" today ) was just under 10 feet in two hours.

Environment Agency - River levels station data

Funnily enough , I have a reading for teddington.

1600 level was 18' 10"

High water 20 mins later was 19' 2" , so 4 inches rise in the final 20 mins

Overall rise from low water ( 9' 6" today ) was just under 10 feet in two hours.

Quite a rise nearing the ebb. Is that due to the tide rising, or the river backing up?

Mainly the river backing up to be honest.

We are only half tidal up here , so we have a two hour rise and two and half hour fall usually. November we are on draw off , where we go fully tidal , so we still have the two hour rise , but the fall to low water takes up to six hours.

It wouldn't have to get the engine of the Audi , just get in the doors , so many computer bits are in the trays now. Plus most stuff flooded with river water is written off due to potential contaminants.

Growing up in Teddington (48 Atbara Road ;)) I remember major flooding there in the 60s.

Those houses go for big money now Bill !

The defence was put in when the barrier was built so Teddington is now defended ( to a point ) ...

Howard said:
High water at teddington is at 1610 today , this is at 1600 :( Unless it's the James Bond model ?
Many a time I have parked my work van on the slipway just behind the R8 whilst fixing faults at the White Cross. Luckily I have moved it just in time. Seen the pic of the bride and groom in the pub. They are sitting on the top of a Jag with about 2" of roof showing above the water.

I saw a floating car in Richmond a few years ago. Parked too close to the river.

I saw a floating car in Richmond a few years ago. Parked too close to the river.

Me too at the same spot Howard took this picture. It was a hire car and people were just holding onto it by the wipers otherwise it would have floated away. The guy then returns to it after coming out of the pub and tells everyone it's a hire car. We all seem relieved for him until he then tells everyone it's only insured 3rd party and any other damage comes off his credit card. Whooppss!

We all seem relieved for him until he then tells everyone it's only insured 3rd party and any other damage comes off his credit card. Whooppss!

I would guess that's the AMEX deal where they insure the car - can't imagine any company would let you take a hire car 3rd party only.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom