It's not often......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bellow

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Car
C2500 350, 450
It’s not often you can get one over on the selfish twats that won’t indicate when leaving a roundabout but I did just that yesterday.
Two lane four junction roundabout on dual carriageway and I’m approaching from the 6 O’clock in the LH lane intending to go straight ahead ie, exit at 12 O’clock. Other car just on roundabout having entered from 3 O’clock and in (his) RH lane. Wrong lane to exit at 6 O’clock and already past that point where he could, not indicating he’s exiting at 9 O’clock so he must be going round to exit at 12 O’clock as I am. Fine, we’ll go round side by side together – that is why there are two lanes. Not quite. Seems he did intend exiting at 9’' O’clock which he made obvious to me (somewhat late) by much gesticulating and use of horn. All he had to do was indicate. If he had, absolutely I would have held back and waited. Maybe next time....

Seems he did intend exiting at 9’' O’clock which he made obvious to me (somewhat late) by much gesticulating and use of horn. All he had to do was indicate. If he had, absolutely I would have held back and waited.
My gut feel is that many drivers are now pretty clueless about which lane to use and when on multi-lane roundabouts. Part of the trouble (imo) is the propensity for lane lines to be painted on the road on signal-controlled roundabouts. Add in that many don't seem to realise that vehicles on the outside of the roundabout have priority over vehicles on the inside wishing to exit it, and you have a recipe for confusion and collisions.

As you say, proper - and timely - signalling would have saved him a whole world of pain.

I certainly sympathise with you, but I wouldn't have put my car at risk ! if some idiot isn't signalling at a roundabout, just wait a few seconds, nice that you won, but at the risk of a dent or two ?

I certainly sympathise with you, but I wouldn't have put my car at risk ! if some idiot isn't signalling at a roundabout, just wait a few seconds, nice that you won, but at the risk of a dent or two ?

I concur.

I just give people space. Roundabouts are a whole heap of trouble these days. Too many variations in lane marking / directions. Worse a roundabout being curved means extra blindspot complexity. You also have the problem that people can approach at speed and enter a lane adjacent to you and quickly break down any situational awareneww you think you had.

You don't know if somebody in the wrong lane is just trying it on or whether they are being confounded by an unfamiliar setup.

You don't know if somebody in the wrong lane is just trying it on or whether they are being confounded by an unfamiliar setup.
In either case, they always have the option of a full 360 of the roundabout to try again - this time in the correct lane(s) and correctly indicating.

Biggest problem is that a lot of drivers have tunnel vision on roundabouts, they know where they want to go and don't bother looking for other traffic in the way.

His car would have fared much worse than mine.
A guy on a forum who runs the same vehicle as me was sat at a stop sign and wondered why the ash had fallen from his cigarette earlier than expected. Then he realised he'd been rear ended by a Toyota. His motor wasn't marked - the front of the Toyota was trashed.

His car would have fared much worse than mine.

Well that makes it OK then.

But you also have to factor in other irritating consequences such as insurance premium rises.

A guy on a forum who runs the same vehicle as me was sat at a stop sign and wondered why the ash had fallen from his cigarette earlier than expected. Then he realised he'd been rear ended by a Toyota. His motor wasn't marked - the front of the Toyota was trashed.

There was a post a long time ago (over 10 years) in the forum about a truck on the autobahn being rearended by a very fast travelling MB saloon. The saloon pulverised itself. The truck driver probably felt a bump and decided to slow down and pull in to check.

If you drive a heavy vehicle - or 'better still' a loaded heavy vehicle then generally your outcome will typically be better in any collison involving a smaller lighter vehicle.

Well that makes it OK then.
Yeah.
For once the tosser had to reckon that his pride and joy might get damaged instead of everyone else jumping out of his way while he inconveniences everyone with his lack of signalling. Or just waits because he might do this or he might do that or, or, or....
But now he's found how to work his horn, maybe he'll find the stalk that makes the blinky lights at the corners work.

Yeah.
For once the tosser had to reckon that his pride and joy might get damaged instead of everyone else jumping out of his way while he inconveniences everyone with his lack of signalling. Or just waits because he might do this or he might do that or, or, or....
But now he's found how to work his horn, maybe he'll find the stalk that makes the blinky lights at the corners work.

One of the sad things about the UK dashcam stuff on youtube is how often the judgemental submitter is the one in the wrong or responsible for a sgnificant portion of the blame.

One of the sad things about the UK dashcam stuff on youtube is how often the judgemental submitter is the one in the wrong or responsible for a sgnificant portion of the blame.
Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest that footage from his dash cam (if he has one) is on the 'net along with a tirade against SUV drivers - but it wont show his lack of signalling was the cause. If he'd signalled, it wouldn't have happened.

Really though, it was just funny. It was all at low (2nd gear) speed and just giving the guy back the inconvenience he thinks nothing of inflicting on others. As an analogy - imaging someone throwing their trash out their car window and you had the opportunity to throw it straight back in. You would - wouldn't you? It was like that - a once in 20 year chance to upset the upsetter. Of course I took it!

As an analogy - imaging someone throwing their trash out their car window and you had the opportunity to throw it straight back in. You would - wouldn't you?
I’ve sort of done that. I’ve handed litter back to people in cars and on foot a few times, and on each occasion they were almost speechless, and several said sorry.

I was in a shopping centre once and there was a very large group of mid-/late-teenagers bullying someone dressed up as an Easter bunny giving out Creme Eggs.

It transpired that they had taken all of the eggs from the basket, and as I arrived on the scene the ring leader and his number two started throwing eggs at the bunny.

I walked up behind them, grasped the back of their neck - one in each hand - and marched them both over to the Easter bunny and asked them to apologise.

Despite being 17/18 and unpleasant, they didn’t resist, and did actually apologise. I then asked the rest of the group if I need to do the same in order them to say sorry.

The mumbled chorus of apologies from the group was priceless.

That was probably 15 years ago. Times have changed and I probably wouldn’t do that now. It was a risky thing to do, especially with my wife and toddler close by.

I’ve sort of done that. I’ve handed litter back to people in cars and on foot a few times, and on each occasion they were almost speechless, and several said sorry.

I was in a shopping centre once and there was a very large group of mid-/late-teenagers bullying someone dressed up as an Easter bunny giving out Creme Eggs.

It transpired that they had taken all of the eggs from the basket, and as I arrived on the scene the ring leader and his number two started throwing eggs at the bunny.

I walked up behind them, grasped the back of their neck - one in each hand - and marched them both over to the Easter bunny and asked them to apologise.

Despite being 17/18 and unpleasant, they didn’t resist, and did actually apologise. I then asked the rest of the group if I need to do the same in order them to say sorry.

The mumbled chorus of apologies from the group was priceless.

That was probably 15 years ago. Times have changed and I probably wouldn’t do that now. It was a risky thing to do, especially with my wife and toddler close by.
Yep, that's braver than I would be - but their behaviour was well out of order.
A few weeks back at the supermarket loading my shopping into the back of the truck I saw a piece of litter hit the ground out of the corner of my eye. As my head turned to see where it came from it coincided with a guy saying to his mate ''What's he going to do - make me fvcking pick it up?''. I just got on with packing my shopping away. We have to pick our fights very carefully these days.

Really though, it was just funny. It was all at low (2nd gear) speed and just giving the guy back the inconvenience he thinks nothing of inflicting on others. As an analogy - imaging someone throwing their trash out their car window and you had the opportunity to throw it straight back in. You would - wouldn't you? It was like that - a once in 20 year chance to upset the upsetter. Of course I took it!

I was thinking how things might look if you had dashcam and submitted footage ....

This bullying style of driving is becoming more apparent every day. We all encounter it many times a day unfortunately!

Dash cam will hopefully resolve many of the situations that occur.

Driving is a hag, far from enjoyable any longer.

Prefer it to the train or bus though. So I'll still put myself through the torture 🥴😉

I was thinking how things might look if you had dashcam and submitted footage ....
It would show events exactly as I described them.
Feel free to carry on thinking something into the situation that didn't actually happen though. Despite, as per the actual event - what's totally lacking - is any indication.

Hi , well are we all perfect drivers !

Mistakes are made and jumping on the horn , shouting at other drivers and the V are all contribute to road rage.

The old highway code (the version I bough when learning to drive) used to have this pic on the front cover to press home the point. All those people who seem to find this difficult should have this pic glued to there dash!!! Obviously this only applies if there are not big white arrows painted on the road (for the "hard of thinking") telling you otherwise......which seems to be all new roundabouts these days. Just noticed the price....LOL.

1656581571441.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom