Its Started - Powerful Cars are Evil...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rose Chap

MB Enthusiast
Car
Lexus GS450h
Having vilified 4x4s, it seems the green lobby and sympathetic columnists have now turned their sights on other powerful vehicles.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/europe_diary/default.stm

Granted this is one (deluded) individual's opinion, but is probably the start of a drip drip of control freakery wrapped in a green cloak.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Articles like this make me really, really want a 4.6 litre V8 Range Rover!

How arrogant that anyone on this planet can think that anything we as humans can do will have an effect on a self contained eco system that nobody difinitively understands!

List the things which are causing CO2 emissions in order and the performance vehicle market will be WAY down the list. We may as well all get the bus if this is the way things are going.... or maybe every car should have the same front bumper so they're all as safe if you drive into someone?? Where does it stop?

I agree things MUST be done about the environment, yet focusing on such small elements of the problem is a wasted effort. If industrial and aerospace activities were restricted even slightly more than they are now this would have a much more effect than banning performance cars........

A world where Ferarri's are the performance equivelant of Skoda's is not a world i want to live in!!

According to Camden Council - patio heaters (as proposed by pubs to keep smokers warm outside their premises) put out the same amount of CO2 in 2 hours as an average car does in a day!:eek:

Last edited:
but is probably the start of a drip drip of control freakery wrapped in a green cloak.

....... nah, just another "justification" for more taxes....

According to Camden Council - patio heaters (as proposed by pubs to keep smokers warm outside their premises) put out the same amount of CO2 in 2 hours as an average car does in a year!:eek:

I don't own a patio heater and am not a patio heater apologist, but how can that possibly be true?

Ridiculous.

My 5 litre V8 emits far less CO2 per year than most family hatchbacks do.

I believe we should be stopped from doing any excercise whatsoever as we breath out more CO2 when excercising, similarly MP's should be prohibited from talking, all that hot air contains hot CO2 and if that doesn't contribute to global warming, I don't know what does.:D

I'm afraid I'm not convinced. That global warming is happening, no doubt, it has happened in the past and no doubt will happen in the future. That it is caused by mans' actions, I don't think so. That we can do anything about it, no way, not even if it was mans' actions that were causing it, not without closing down the entire world, no travel, no power, no heat, no light. The alternative, ie put up with it, is better.

I assume because you don't drive it much,;)

Yup, typically 2-3000 miles per year (I commute to work every day by train).

So I would support increasing fuel duty, and reducing road tax ;) :D

Like i said before ,this is the start of new taxes. i just laugh at the green people as they think as i do not have a car it will not affect me. Much like the case of the irish man, frenchman and the jew.
When the powers that be have dealt with the cars they will start attacking your t.v, fridge, microwave and even shoes.
Oh your shoe leather is not green as it was taken from cow hide, That will be £100 a month in taxes then.
your tv uses too much neon plasma gas please. that will be £80 in taxes then.

Having vilified 4x4s, it seems the green lobby and sympathetic columnists have now turned their sights on other powerful vehicles.

Granted this is one (deluded) individual's opinion, but is probably the start of a drip drip of control freakery wrapped in a green cloak.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Articles like this make me really, really want a 4.6 litre V8 Range Rover!

The German car industry is to powerful politically to allow performance limits.That's why Germany still have unrestricted stretches of Autobahn and the likes of VAG can flout shareholder competition rules.
As the paymasters of the EU German MEPs know they can swat aside feeble minded proposals like these.

adam

Ban aircraft, imports, plastic and space travel. Problem solved.

Now I can go back to hunting for my food ..........

When someone in the Green lobby can provide a means of income for 5 Billion people to live normally then we will all sit up and take notice.

Why? When you can get a 6.3l ML from Mercedes, or a 6.0l Touareg. Or get Brabus to make you a 7.3l GL Biturbo?

I've had quite enough of this "let's go green" nonsense. As has been said in this thread and others it's just an excuse to raise taxes. I believe the climate is changing, but it has done so in cycles for millions of years.

But, and it's a big but, if burning fossil fuels is the cause of it all just consider this.

The label British made is hard to find these days

My local supermarket stocks meat from both Australia and New Zealand.

Over 80% of all organic fruit and vegetables sold in this country are imported with some, because of a short shelf life or high value, actually flown in. Same for fresh flowers.

Almost all electrical goods are imported.

Some 30% of clothing for sale here is imported from China. Most of the rest is manufactured elswhere and shipped in too. Even the british made clothing is usually made with imported fabrics.

British made shoes are a very rare find.

BUT....... You use a half gallon of fuel going to the supermarket or shopping centre to buy any of this stuff and you alone are responsible for the impending destruction of this planet and will be taxed accordingly. Not stopped from doing it you'll notice, just taxed for doing it.

Yes, we must reduce this dangerous C02 - my banning the sea (biggest emitter)

i really like the way everyone jumps on avaition as a CO2 emitter.

globally 3-5% of CO2 emissions are by avaition. and when you consider that as Car manufacturers get to their targets of 15% you can see why it is nonsense. The thing about avaition is it is an easy target as the planes fly in the air.

I am not getting into NOX emission tho.

We do have a choice to make tho, stop using as much electricity as we do and we will reduce the amount of CO2 that is being emitted without much penalty, or get more nuclear power stations to provide the electricty, either will have the same effect.

Then get people to realise that Low Cost flying is not a good idea and that will end that issue too.

The easiest solution to all these problems is to stop politicians trying to do anything about it, and just make them force companies to deal with it, then market forces should show the way forward.

and get someone to stop the mass hysteria that keeps on rearing its ugly head about CO2 emissions etc. I blame global warming for frying peoples minds!!!

PS, i am annoyed at the moment, I have just been to a Road Traffic accident where some poor unfortunate 18year old girls, one of whom just passed her test 3 days ago, were hit head on by some polish people on the A816 for those wishing to look at the road. Just north (1km) of Kilmartin. The poles were driving on the wrong side of the road! Maybe we should do something about things closer to home before we bang on about emissions and so on.

more green mumbo jumbo!!!
i always went with the thing that larger more refined engines work better and put out less co2's then smaller engines, as their working twice as hard, so in turn they put out more un-green emissions :D

there ya go my .2p's worth :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom