It's Xmas Time - watch those valve caps

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

clk270

Car
Was W203 270CDI A'garde, Was CLK270CDi A'garde, Current Porsche BoxsterS, Mini SDAll4
Yes, it's here at last - no more shopping days left (hurray :bannana: ).

As usual several of the neighbours kids are having new bikes, and as per the Xmas tradition, my metal valve caps have gone missing with one group of carol singers :mad: :mad: :mad:

Even though they were nipped up tight with a pair of pliers.

So tonight the spare set are nipped up just as tight but this time covered in Castrol grease as well !

Just need to see whose bike is sporting the metal valve caps in the morning :devil:

Talking about valve caps . Im quite surprised my car has managed to hold onto them for so long :eek:

My W203 is now 8 months old and still has the original caps ( touch wood )

Will take on board the advice about the new bikes .. lol

I've suffered for so long with this problem, people ask me why I bother installing alloy valve caps when they will be gone in no time. But why should we give in.After going through all the security ones etc. etc. etc. have finished up with a real cool set of valveless jobies. Well they have got valves but not in sight. All that is in sight is a allen key type flush head, when air is needed (or a check) I simply unscrew the flush caps with a special tool provided then screw in my alloy valve, once air is in then take it back out and re-screw the cap. Also looks very neat and I no longer have to squeeze the wrag behind the valves to clean my alloys.
The main reason I've had the flush fits installed is so the bikerboys dont damage my alloys in the process of stealing the caps, and whilst they are down there they will probably see something else that takes their fancy.

On my last alloy wheels I had stainless valve stems as well as the chrome caps, looked great. About a year ago someone stole two of the caps, but I wasn't able to find some chrome caps as nice as the others, and that went with the stainless stems - and black plastic caps don't really work on those valve stems either. Sadly I no longer have those wheels.

I just bought a pack of 5 black plastic caps because I lost one in my car a few weeks ago while checking all the tyre pressures.

quoting myself from just over a year ago:
Shude said:
Next time I get a set of new tyres I will have the flush-fitted "racing valves" that have no stem, but come with an adapter.

racvalvb.jpg

Tyre fitters dont like fitting flush types as they quite often dont get them right 1st time, so they may fob you off with the fact that they do rust & then leak hence not giving you a guarantee. Mine have been on now for 5 months or so and no probs, just good results.

Just got mine nicked,lovely silver ones with merc logo on them, may look a bit funny on a bike. Happy new year everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom