I've always liked getting paid in cash but...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John Jones Jr

MB Enthusiast
Car
Mazda MX5 10AE, W201 2.5-16, W202 230K Sport man, Honda Accord & Suzuki 'Ricer'.
A little tale worth flagging up.

One of the lads that does some subby work for me sold his rather nice car on Sunday, for top dollar, every easy sale with only three viewings all within 24hrs.

He gave the buyer an option of paying in cash or bankers draft (as it was fair bit of money). The buyer decided on cash and agrees to pay and collect the car on Sunday evening, happy days all round.

That night, there was an attempted break-in to the sellers house. The house has never been broken into before nor is there a history of break-in's in the area, actually it's the type of area where you wouldn't be concerned about leaving the car unlocked or leaving an expensive bike in the front garden.

Now, just to clarify the seller is not pointing the finger at the buyer but one never knows.

Has he checked the name and address of the new owner on the V5?

We have only been burgled once - and a [vaguely] similar tale.We had acquired some nice paintings just before we went on holiday and thought we better add them to the house insurance. When we got home, cop tape all over the place and fingerprint dust on every door. The night we got back, a van full of the local drug squad were 'monitoring' a pub down the road and spotted a team diving in through our back windows and followed them in with a big dog going in first.....dog caused the most damage as it [apparently] tried to bite one burglar a second asrehole....(!)The kids immediately fessed up and had been tipped off by one of the staff at our insurance brokers. Trust nobody........apart from MB Club members of course....(!)

Sent from my iPad using MBClub UK

Coincidences do happen, when I was at University in London I visited a friend of a friend's house and that same night his house got burgled. Well the owner pointed the finger at me and even was running his mouth naming me to people.
About a week later I bumped into him and gave him a good slap. Then about a week or so later my friend told me that it turned out that one of his relatives had robbed his house.

Well, from speaking to the seller yes, I'd come to that conclusion too - very fishy.

As for the V5, I don't know other than the seller has a new owners name & address, and all seems in order.

There is a suspicion that one of the other 'potential' purchasers may have been involved, again I don't know exactly why. Either way, I think the moral of the tale is simply, take cash by all means but only within banking hours and maybe make a point that it's being lodged straight away.

The last time I sold a car to a stranger, the sale was conducted in the bank; all I did was hand the teller a paying in slip.
That way, no risk of forged notes, no counting wads of fifties/twenties and the obvious risk of being liberated of the money were averted.

I would not accept payment in cash for any amounts in excess of £2000 .. too much like hard work, and too risky

The last time I sold a car to a stranger, the sale was conducted in the bank; all I did was hand the teller a paying in slip.
That way, no risk of forged notes, no counting wads of fifties/twenties and the obvious risk of being liberated of the money were averted.

I always do the same, I never actually touch the cash until it's safely ( as safe as banks are ) in my account.

I did exactly the same ten years ago - no way I wanted to take £18k home with me so I made the seller pay it in and I handed him the keys and V5 straight after the cashier made him hand in 3 twenties to replace the fraudulent ones he paid in and wouldn't give back to him.

Honest John the motoring correspondent in the Sunday Telegraph has quite a lot to say about accepting payment in cash with many of the scenarios discussed here. Other methods have their risks too, both for buyer and seller.

Its actually a very risky process both ways if the sum is large

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom