Ive been offered a mint 500 SEC

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AMG19

Car
500SL
As the title suggests I have been offered a 500 SEC. Not just any example though, this one has just come out of the Brooklands museum and as expected is in A1 condition. It is owned by the owner of my local indie.

The question is, is it a decent investment? I am not sure I would drive it much as it is too mint(silly I know!) I have never really considered an SEC but this one is gorgeous.

I would be interested to hear what peoples opinions are on the model and if they believe prices will increase.

Price will determine decency as an investment.

He is open to offers, I am going through the classifieds at the moment - the difficulty is that it is unique in it's condition. I have no doubt he will want top money for it.

That guy wants silly money, I think 30K or so...

The other factor to consider is finding a buyer when you come to sell, as that's what will make it either a decent investment or fun-while-it-lasted-experience. If you pay top money now, you've either got to really want it for yourself or be prepared for a long wait to see a return.

Sorry i may have got mixed up.... the seller of the 500 SEC (dean IIRC) wants to buy a mint 560 SEC that is priced at 25K so not sure what he is asking for his 500SEC.

30k!! Wow that's strong. Must be a different guy.
Some figures were mentioned casually when I was looking around the car and I believe half of that would be accepted.

A £15k 500 SEC will be an extremely poor investment.

If you want such a car to use and enjoy that's fine, but don't ever see it as an investment.

A car is meant to be used and if you won't drive it much you will paying a considerable sum each year to tax, insure, MOT and service a garage queen that never earns its keep.

And if you decide to sell after a few years you will face a struggle to get your £15k (which will have been further undermined by 5% pa inflation) back.

At anything over £10k once you've taken all maintenance costs into account it's unlikely it'll ever appreciate enough to make big money.
Equally there were so many made its unlikely to ever become truly rare or desirable.
On the other side of the coin, they're a great car, great daily driver, buy a good one for probably no more than £5k and enjoy using it.

Damn, that wide body is gorgeous.

SEC's are going up in value, who knows what they will rise to though. Maybe it could be worth it but it would be a gamble. They are lovely cars to drive and own though so I guess it all depends on the asking price. There are plenty around at £10K but I wouldnt trust their condition particularly as being worth that. And you can still get a really good one for less than £5K.

Only Widebodys are worth the big money followed by those mint cars with full AMG styling etc.

Low mileage original cars are not old enough yet to be worth the real big money.

If a top spec 560 came up with say sub 20K miles, id say it would be worth 20K at the moment and yes value would increase... but dont expect to be able to sell it quickly if you ever needed to.

Although these are lovely cars I don't think they are sufficiently iconic to ever be an investment in the sense of making any serious money after holding costs.

Cheers guys just the sort of feedback I wanted. As I sort of suspected as an investment my money might well be better invested elsewhere.

The car doesn't have the AMG styling unfortunately, that said it does have a lorinser front bodykit and lorinser suspension lowering kit. It is colour coded in very rare thistle green and has lovely BBS alloys on it. Inside it has tan leather and really does look the business. I'll see if he will send me some photos.

AHHH maybe I may offer 10k. I don't think that's an insult?

It's interesting that they don't have more of a collectors status when you consider how many celebrities owned them, but unless you have the actual car owned by a celeb, they don't seem to. Do people remember that one owned by Senna that was advertised a few years ago for around the £20k mark?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom