I've been scammed - but have I??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mercy1

Car
It's a car - just a car!
Some of you internet savvy guys may be able to throw some light on this...

About 10-14 days ago I took a telephone call from Dennis Publications marketing department asking if I was interested in an Autoexpress subscription deal of five issues for £1.

Nothing unusual in this, it's a common deal that I have done before. The guy knew this and also asked if I was interested in deals for Evo and some other Dennis Publication mags.

As it happens, I was interested in taking on the Autoexpress deal so I agreed. I gave the guy my bank sort code, bank account number and email address - but nothing else, certainly no passwords or pin numbers. So far so good.

Next day, I started getting Mailer-Daemon email messages "failed delivery" from people I had never heard of and had certainly not sent emails too.

Shortly afterwards my Yahoo email account was temporarily suspended because "suspicious activity" was detected on my account. I was directed to Log In Activity and saw someone had apparently accessed my account from Brazil!

Over the next three days, I received about 10 failed delivery notifications and now they have stopped.

I researched the problem on Google and realised that I was the victim of email-spoofing whereby spammers had sent out emails using my email address as the sending person.

As advised, I have now changed every one of my internet passwords and security details. No attempts have been made to access my accounts and both Yahoo and my bank say I probably have nothing to worry about.

Now here's the interesting bit. Wracking my brains to get the bottom of this, I obviously linked the Dennis Publications phone call to my internet problems. So I rang Dennis and, you guessed it, they have no record of contacting me, although they said their marketing department to do make these sorts of calls, as do some of their sales partners.

So what has happened? It wasn't Dennis that phoned me. I was subsequently email-spoofed.

But why? My email address is no secret, and nobody else's are either. They can't access my online banking. They are not trying to set up Direct Debits, etc. My Yahoo email account doesn't appear to have been interfered with.

So what are they up to?? Any ideas??

I would let your bank know so they can be alert to any suspicious attempts to draw funds.

I suspect the scammers wanted to try to use your email address to contact the bank to setup a transfer.

Thanks. I am checking my bank account, (UK and foreign payments sections and DDs) three times a day. Nothing amiss.
Bank security people say there is no way they can interfere with my account with just an email address. They have no passwords or memorable information and I would be informed by text message if there were any new instructions...
:dk: :dk:

Giving out your bank account details together with any other personal details-- like your name and address [ presumably to where the mythical Auto Express is to be mailed to??] to total stranger over the phone is not a good idea. Especially when it turns out they are not genuine. Have you or the wife had any seemingly innocent " consumer surveys" over the last few weeks? Sometimes these people have several attempts to build up a portfolio of personal details before using these in some form of identity theft scam. Do you shred all the usual proof of residency/identity documents such as utility bills before throwing them out? This might be an opportune moment to take advantage of any new "current account product" offered by your bank and close your present current account for a new one with a different account number? :dk:

This might be an opportune moment to take advantage of any new "current account product" offered by your bank and close your present current account for a new one with a different account number? :dk:

Which is what the scammers may attempt.

Yes, but how can they?

If people can do this sort of thing with only an email address (not secret) and a bank account number then all Internet bank customers would be in deep sh*te... :dk:

And perhaps why its important to act quickly and in person at the local branch where your identity is already established together with suitable " solid "identification such as a passport. Because your bank details were obtained fraudulently its an indicator that an attempt has or will be made to access your money in a similar manner [ these people don't do these things for fun!] Their success will depend on the sophistication of their approach and the vigilance of any bank staff involved. They may have already tried and failed and given up--- or they may be playing a waiting game. :dk:

Yes, but how can they?

If people can do this sort of thing with only an email address (not secret) and a bank account number then all Internet bank customers would be in deep sh*te... :dk:

They know your name, email address, address and bank details. They could attempt to setup a new bank account using your identity and go on a spending spree leaving you as the debtor.

On balance, I wouldn't be too worried.

They know your name, email address, address and bank details. They could attempt to setup a new bank account using your identity and go on a spending spree leaving you as the debtor.

On balance, I wouldn't be too worried.

That's something I hadn't thought of. I hope that would be a crime that would clearly not be laid at my door, even though my identity was used...

Because your bank details were obtained fraudulently its an indicator that an attempt has or will be made to access your money in a similar manner [ these people don't do these things for fun!] Their success will depend on the sophistication of their approach and the vigilance of any bank staff involved. They may have already tried and failed and given up--- or they may be playing a waiting game. :dk:

I confess to being quite worried about this - as you say Grober these people do not do these things for fun.

I keep asking myself - why, why, why would they go to these lengths. Surely not just for an email address to use as a spam address. There must be something else...and yet I can't see how they can achieve anything with such limited info...:dk:

If it were me I'd be concerned that I was being targeted- BUT...

Your name and bank details are on every personal cheque you write (or more likely, used to write!).

Merchants would legitimately have records of your email address, phone numbers and address.

...so I don't think you have compromised your security.

Just get back onto Dennis and find out who is making the outgoing calls for them. Then contact them to check everything is OK

I did the Dennis magazine thing, mags arrive OK, it's real

The email thing is unrelated

Nick Froome

Just get back onto Dennis and find out who is making the outgoing calls for them. Then contact them to check everything is OK

I did the Dennis magazine thing, mags arrive OK, it's real

The email thing is unrelated

Nick Froome

Thanks, done that. They have no record of their own people contacting me and in nearly two weeks, they have not been advised by any of their partners about a subscription for me. I ain't expecting my Autoexpress any time soon!!

I would indeed by relieved if it was the case that the email thing is unrelated, yet it's funny that it started the day after this telephone call. Perhaps I am clutching at straws - that is why I have outlined my predicament to see if any of you can throw any light on it.

Which you are doing - thanks...

Contact your bank and tell them what's happened. I suspect from personal experience that they will suggest getting a new account number and closing the old one. They'll do all the transfers of Direct Debits so it's easy for you.

I had a vaguely similar experience with my credit card. The "thieves" even managed to contact my bank and change my home address to theirs! Worrying that the bank's security didn't pick this up. The bank refunded all the money taken from my account fraudulently, so it was just a PITA.

The biggest concern for you would be identity theft. It could even affect your credit rating if you leave it too long. Report it to your bank before that happens.

I really wouldn't be worrying too much about this at the moment. I can see no way from the details you've given how the unauthorised email access is linked to your phone call - it's not as though you've given them any passwords or other details to log in. Knowing your email address is obviously not enough - a coincidence :)

Re: the Dennis call, you say the guy was aware you were a previous customer of theirs (?), and only took payment details - not even your home address (?) - I assume they had it on record already (along with your phone number?)

Don't panic purely because Dennis can't see that you've subscribed yet - maybe it takes a while to be entered on their system. Even a human error.

I'm not saying don't be vigilant with your details (you have clearly been so :)), but don't panic either - nothing has happened yet and probably won't either, certainly not with the little information you say they have.

IMHO of course :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom