I've been screwed.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
As another poster mentioned, you are dealing with a university and charity, and they would have an obligation to their beneficiaries to obtain a fair market value for the properties.

As another poster mentioned, you are dealing with a university and charity, and they would have an obligation to their beneficiaries to obtain a fair market value for the properties.
I have no problem with them getting the best value. But when the told me I would get something off, wait over a year, then the price goes up. A charity should be honest. At the very least, they should go back to the price the first of the 8 houses were sold for. Morally wrong, Legally right and they know it.
I've now resigned myself to the fact I will have to pay the full price. But does not mean I have to like it.
Thank you all for your opinions.

Morally wrong, Legally right and they know it.
I've now resigned myself to the fact I will have to pay the full price.
Welcome to the real world where people have to pay the going rate to put a roof over their heads. 🙄

I'd never heard of the LIFT scheme. Is that just a Scotland thing? Can't you just be happy that you get help buying it rather than stressing about what's already happened?
It's not worth putting your health at risk by getting worked up and stressed, just be happy you get help to buy it surely.

"What the OP needs to work out id how good/bad the crash will be if Scotland gains independence....tricky one that."

The tumbleweed will be rolling down the streets, OP better not buy that house or he will be on saying," I'm really screwed"
Considering she has screwed up everything she touches, Education, Care homes, Hospitals that open years late, Drugs, Edinburgh Trams, New Forth bridge that is closed in the winter with ice falling on to the road, Nationalising a shipyard that can't build 2 ferrys. The list goes on.
But its going to be great cos we can use the pound because she say's its ok. No hard border because she say's its ok. Rejoin the EU because she say's it ok . The list goes on

"What the OP needs to work out id how good/bad the crash will be if Scotland gains independence....tricky one that."

The tumbleweed will be rolling down the streets, OP better not buy that house or he will be on saying," I'm really screwed"
Considering she has screwed up everything she touches, Education, Care homes, Hospitals that open years late, Drugs, Edinburgh Trams, New Forth bridge that is closed in the winter with ice falling on to the road, Nationalising a shipyard that can't build 2 ferrys. The list goes on.
But its going to be great cos we can use the pound because she say's its ok. No hard border because she say's its ok. Rejoin the EU because she say's it ok . The list goes on

Please keep UK politics in the dedicated thread only. Cheers

I’ve also been screwed by Aberdeen University. I did some postgrad research there in the late 80’s and I’ve already forgotten most of my analysis. They didn’t tell me that would happen.

How have the other tenants reacted to this? Did they buy the properties they were in, move on voluntarily, or were they evicted?

I have no problem with them getting the best value. But when the told me I would get something off, wait over a year, then the price goes up. A charity should be honest. At the very least, they should go back to the price the first of the 8 houses were sold for. Morally wrong, Legally right and they know it.
I've now resigned myself to the fact I will have to pay the full price. But does not mean I have to like it.
Thank you all for your opinions.
You forget that you took a risk - because you thought you would get a better deal - it went against you.

And now you say you have some moral or legal right to be put into a position that you would have been had you not taken the risk.

that is not how the world works.

when you say "they told you", that is simply not the case. The housing manager had or has no authority to bind the University - sales of the houses are or were totally outside his remit. Would you expect a Mercedes dealer to honour a price promise made by a delivery driver?

I wish the Goverment were giving me (upto) 40% off a house price.

You forget that you took a risk - because you thought you would get a better deal - it went against you.

And now you say you have some moral or legal right to be put into a position that you would have been had you not taken the risk.

that is not how the world works.

when you say "they told you", that is simply not the case. The housing manager had or has no authority to bind the University - sales of the houses are or were totally outside his remit. Would you expect a Mercedes dealer to honour a price promise made by a delivery driver?
As far as I can determine, he didn't get a promise from anyone.

Just say the first sold for £140000 & they asked you for £130000 for yours which you accepted. The others eventually went for £110000. Would you then expect them to give you £20000 as you paid over the odds
Apologies for my political rant earlier.

I wish the Goverment were giving me (upto) 40% off a house price.
If you had rented from them for long enough they could do so.

I have some sympathy for the OP, he's paid for the house in rent over the years and now has to pay full asking price to buy it, since the 80s when Mrs Thatcher sold off the council stock tenants have come to expect a deal of some kind whether it's local authority, housing association or even private landlords looking for a trouble free sale.

Yes but the councils not only sold them to individuals but to massive private companies. Not sure about the rest of the country but around my way all the 'council houses' are owned by a few private companies. I know they have to follow social housing rules but they are still privately owned and rented out.

Yes but the councils not only sold them to individuals but to massive private companies. Not sure about the rest of the country but around my way all the 'council houses' are owned by a few private companies. I know they have to follow social housing rules but they are still privately owned and rented out.
Pretty sure that at the time of initial sale it was tenant only. That they've subsequently found their way into ownership by private companies in the intervening 40 years isn't surprising.
So many of the tenant's offspring had made their own (purchased) housing decisions that by the time it came for the ex-council house to be passed on it was entirely superfluous. A short term expedient for political gain - so have to cease the discussion of that here.
And the discounts were massive. Final price could have bought you a Ford Granada but not a W123 - not by a long way.

I honestly thought that they were giving me some sort of reduction. The housing manager had been talking to the Estates director about the reduction so I had no reason to disbelieve. Yes, I have been full and truly stung. Let this be a lesson to others. "Get it down in writing."
The government is not giving me 40% they are buying a share. I will have the upkeep so any improvements I make is a plus for them.

Pretty sure that at the time of initial sale it was tenant only. That they've subsequently found their way into ownership by private companies in the intervening 40 years isn't surprising.
So many of the tenant's offspring had made their own (purchased) housing decisions that by the time it came for the ex-council house to be passed on it was entirely superfluous. A short term expedient for political gain - so have to cease the discussion of that here.
And the discounts were massive. Final price could have bought you a Ford Granada but not a W123 - not by a long way.
Yep, I suspect that Pete is referring to authorities passing housing stock over to housing associations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom