I've been screwed.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I honestly thought that they were giving me some sort of reduction. The housing manager had been talking to the Estates director about the reduction so I had no reason to disbelieve.
why did you think they were giving you a reduction? what made you think you deserved a reduction? did you wonder what motivated them to give you a reduction?

what made you think the housing manager had the authority to reduce the sale price?

was a reduction offered to anyone else?

Yes, I have been full and truly stung.
stung is when you have been taken advantage of or have had something that was rightfully yours unlawfully taken away from you

not the case here at all

You've been Gullible.
I'd say you've been mislead in to believing something that isn't so.

What did the other tenants in W Rd do?
Moved when they got the Sheriff officers notice to quit over a year ago. So the only rent coming in from the eight houses was mine. Which also fooled me into thinking I was getting something knocked off. But as others have said I am a fool for believing them. I was the only original tenant. The other original tenants moved out years ago with the takeover. err I mean merger.

Moved when they got the Sheriff officers notice to quit over a year ago. So the only rent coming in from the eight houses was mine. Which also fooled me into thinking I was getting something knocked off. But as others have said I am a fool for believing them. I was the only original tenant. The other original tenants moved out years ago with the takeover. err I mean merger.
Something not quite right there.
There has to be a 'ground' for eviction of a tenant and merely wanting to sell the property doesn't count. In your case the best they could do is wait until you have retired/left their employ and apply ground #17 - but even then they'd have to have a reason such as it being needed to house your replacement in the workplace. Grounds 9-17 are discretionary and rely on a magistrate approving them. One whiff of the house being on the market and they'll refuse it. The situation is already in the public domain (EE and Aberdeenshire Council).
Ground # 6 is mandatory but still testable in court. They would have to embark on a considerable repairs/renovations to qualify and again, the knowledge of marketing the property would go against them.

You can sit this out as a sitting tenant as they can't shift you and the value of the property with a sitting tenant is slashed. You may be compelled to allow potential buyers access (check the legal position on this) and if you do, make sure to tell them you have no intention of moving - and see if they still bid. When AU can't find a buyer, any offer from you will be considered.

Your call. You can cough up now, or use the laws put in place to protect you to your advantage. The middle position, ie, telling them now you aren't leaving will focus their mind to arriving at an equitable solution. They really wont want this dragged out over years.

Bellow, I have decided that I have taken this as far as I can. Time is running out due to age constraints on the Mortgage. I now think the best I can get out of this is the price of the first house £140,000 or worst case, which, I fear it will be of the latest price of £155,000.

I was told by the Housing Manager to wait till the last of the houses went on the market and put in a cheeky fair offer.
Cheeky & fair do not compute, either one or the other as they are totally different

Bellow, I have decided that I have taken this as far as I can. Time is running out due to age constraints on the Mortgage. I now think the best I can get out of this is the price of the first house £140,000 or worst case, which, I fear it will be of the latest price of £155,000.
If you chose to resist, your greatest vulnerability would be to the new owner/landlord using ground # 1 as a basis for eviction.

''
This ground can be used if:

• your landlord wants you to move out so that they or their husband/wife or civil partner can move in and live in the property, ''

That said, they would have to find a buyer who would be prepared to do that (and get a mortgage - some doubt when there's a sitting tenant) and hard to imagine they would without a hefty discounting of price and a lengthy period of uncertainty.

Want to be cheeky? Suggest to them that you are considering holding out for the above eventuality during price negotiations....

That said, they would have to find a buyer who would be prepared to do that (and get a mortgage - some doubt when there's a sitting tenant) and hard to imagine they would without a hefty discounting of price and a lengthy period of uncertainty.

Want to be cheeky? Suggest to them that you are considering holding out for the above eventuality during price negotiations....
Good advice and if you put it in writing to the selling agents they’ll be obligated to inform potential buyers

Good advice and if you put it in writing to the selling agents they’ll be obligated to inform potential buyers
I'd recommend verbally first in the same room as them. Their faces will tell everything! A guaranteed shit-the-bed moment.

Unfortunately two months notice if I go down this way.
As I have a short assured tenancy.
I copied this from Shelter Scotland.

"Make sure you find out why you are being evicted. For example, your landlord may ask you to leave because:

• your tenancy is coming to an end (the amount of time you agreed that you could stay there)
  • you have broken a term of your tenancy agreement
  • they want to sell the property."

I was told by the Housing Manager to wait till the last of the houses went on the market and put in a cheeky fair offer.
Have you submitted a cheeky fair offer? If not then get it in quick smart. Based upon what you have written that is what the housing manager asked you to do.

Houses typically appreciate in value, and so holding off buying is seldom a good idea. When people save for deposits the value of houses often go up faster than they can say enough.

Houses typically appreciate in value, and so holding off buying is seldom a good idea. When people save for deposits the value of houses often go up faster than they can say enough.
That’s pretty much always been the cars though hasn’t it?

I remember renting a house in 2001 and saving for a deposit at the same time. It was hard.

I posted my above post back on page 1, but I’ve read all 5 pages now. Based upon the words you have written then is no suggestion that you would be given a reduction, they suggested that you submit an offer. If you haven’t done this, then do it.

What was the rationale behind holding out? If it was the housing manager and/or yourself hoping that house pricing might flatten or even reduce due to COVID-19, then you’re not alone many people (including me) thought be the same.

Unfortunately the majority of bets don’t pay off, and that’s how people make money from gambling (rarely the gambler), and unfortunately on this occasion the bet didn't pay off. House prices have strangely increased dramatically.

I really feel for you being in this situation, and whilst blaming others might be a common reaction when dealing with a situation doesn’t end up as you expected, unfortunately upon this occasion I can’t see that you have been screwed.

Had they agreed an offer and later gone back on it then that would be different.

Thankfully the LIFT scheme you mentioned will help to bridge the gap. If that means you can still afford to buy the house then you’re not losing out, you just won’t gain quite as much as you hoped. That’s not such a bad situation.

Personally though I wouldn’t hang about because if you lost the house over this then it really would be tragic.

That’s pretty much always been the cars though hasn’t it?

I remember renting a house in 2001 and saving for a deposit at the same time. It was hard.
It has, even when young people are living at home without a grey deal of commitments. Once you’re independent and with children it’s incredibly difficult to keep pace with the market.

It has, even when young people are living at home without a grey deal of commitments. Once you’re independent and with children it’s incredibly difficult to keep pace with the market.
I remember when I moved into my first place and my mum or dad (I can’t recall which) told me that in 25 years it’ll all come good!! 😩😩

Unfortunately two months notice if I go down this way.
As I have a short assured tenancy.
I copied this from Shelter Scotland.

"Make sure you find out why you are being evicted. For example, your landlord may ask you to leave because:

• your tenancy is coming to an end (the amount of time you agreed that you could stay there)
  • you have broken a term of your tenancy agreement
  • they want to sell the property."
Shelter Scotland say re ground #1: ''The landlord can't use this ground to get the property back in order to sell it. They would have to move back in first.''

Unless the Short Assured Tenancy designation is skewing this I really don't see how AU can evict you. The new owner can providing they intend residing there.

I'm not suggesting you should go to the wire with this as ultimately you can and will be evicted by a new owner. However, that you could wait for this eventuality will seriously worry AU if they come to hear of it and they cannot merely disregard it as a bluff given the potential it has to make the property unsellable to a potential resident (the only category that can evict) without inducement in the form of generous discount. That discount could be yours. Calling their bluff is only introducing one factor into the price negotiations you are inevitably heading into. You have nothing to lose by calling their bluff. It is only a suggestion of what you may do. Not categoric intent in writing. I'm not seeing any other opportunities to drive the price back down to what you expected to pay.

The only slight glimmer of hope I can see for you is if the letter offering you the property for £140k doesn’t have an expiry date. Fanciful I know but you should check

Looks like your Short Assured Tenancy status restricts your options.
It's not clear to me whether grounds for eviction are as they are with other tenancies or whether the elapsing of the current rental period is sufficient.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom