I've bought it now

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ackee911

Car
Mercedes-Benz S500L
My star came through the post today.
Looks rubbish, but what can you expect for £15?
Trouble is, I'm not sure how to fit it, and I don't want to damage my car [funnily enough, car is at the mechanics at the moment and he wanted £30 to fit it!]

Attachments

• mercbadge.jpg
    mercbadge.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 193
I bought one for my W124 from ebay for a similar price. I thought it was cheap looking as well but proceeded to fit it anyway. It never fitted properly, wobbles about and never sits straight. Bite the bullet and put it down to experience, if you can, spend a bit more money and get a better quality one.
Mines just push fitted on (which may be the reason it wobbles?), but still looks crap.

Incedently, the guy who sold it to me from ebay claimed he was in Essex, but the package came from Bulgaria. I now always read sellers feedback if they haven't got 100% to see why people were complaining in the first place. It comes as no surprise, many were complaining about cheap quality replacements from the guy who sold me my star.

£30!

I do it for nothing.

S Class drivers are victims though;)

I will close the door on the way out:( :(

230K:D

i had mine vandalised long time back..got replacement at MB..and they fitted it for me also for free..you need some special tool for the twist underside..it is a 10second job basically..

Most (all?) MB Dealers will fit a new star for free if you buy the part from them. Mine did. :)

OK. Just to make things clear-I bought this off ebay. Had I known it was only £25 from Mercedes, I would've bought it from them. What's the point anyway, I'm sure its gonna be nicked soon anyway.

All I wanted to know was how to fit it-and as blueserenity777 has pointed out, you need a special tool, so I'll probably get it fitted with the next service (which will be as soon as the suspension is sorted)

Thank you.

If you look at the bottom of the star thereis a spring loaded U shaped bracket.
This rotates throu 90 degrees.
Try it before you install it on the bonnet.
So you simply open the bonnet feed it throu the hole and hold it with one hand from the outside, and with the pliers turn the bracket throu 90 degrees.
Takes about 20 secs

I got my replacement from German EBay cost £60, but it a specially modified one, in as much as you just pull it out. Saves getting it pinched and even more saves damage to the bonnet.

Here is the HOWTO by Shude with piccies :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom