I've done the absolute unthinkable

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ash59fifty-uk

MB Enthusiast
Car
C204 C63, VW Transporter
So, I've ran out of diesel. On the way to get a Jerry can

How worried should I be? Car wouldn't turn over and just grinded to a halt. Tried to turn over once more to just get the car in neutral.

Did a quick Google search and I'm reading about priming electrics pumps etc. Will it start once I put some in or do I need to call Mercedes?

I'm sure it should be fine , I don't think you need to prime the newer diesels unless you have an old peogeot 205 diesel ;)

So, I've ran out of diesel. On the way to get a Jerry can

How worried should I be? Car wouldn't turn over and just grinded to a halt. Tried to turn over once more to just get the car in neutral.

Did a quick Google search and I'm reading about priming electrics pumps etc. Will it start once I put some in or do I need to call Mercedes?
I've run out in a diesel before, once I put the juice in, I kept turning the ignition on to prime it, then off again and repeating about a dozen times, then starting.

Please fill Jerry can with diesel. Not unleaded

Fivehunnit said:
I've run out in a diesel before, once I put the juice in, I kept turning the ignition on to prime it, then off again and repeating about a dozen times, then starting.

Thanks I'll try that first :thumb:

All my life my dad drummed into my head 'never let a diesel run out of fuel' and it's stuck in my head like mud. Hopefully I haven't damaged anything

SPX said:
Hand in your man card at the front desk on your way out please.

Had to call the fuel people out once for putting petrol in my old A3 tdi, £200 lighter and a large amount of piss taking! Lol

Car started up after priming as fivehunnit mentioned, thanks again people! Forum on point as always :) :thumb:

Was the miles in tank on ZERO ?

Driver15 said:
Was the miles in tank on ZERO ?

Yes just under the actual digit :eek: my fault for opting to go to shell near the gym just because I collect the shell driver points, as opposed to going to BP just up the road near my house

Simon_M said:
What do points make?

Money off vouchers for fuel. It's only worth it for me as I fill up 7-8 times a month, mainly with the work van. I think 1000 points converts to £5 off, they mail them out to you quarterly. I've racked up a fair few thousand since starting in November time

Oils and food/drink within the shell stores can rack up points, filling with V-power adds more points than regular fuel. Vouchers can be collected or I think it's air miles for some company? Not sure what air company I just went with the vouchers

Anyone ever run out before it hit zero miles range? Closest I've taken it is like 8 or so.

Mine doesn't get to 0 miles it just comes up with a petrol pump.

Problem in a C63 is when the red light comes on you basically have to find a stop fast!

I put 64 litres in a 62 litre tank tonight!

Mine was literally 2mm below the bottom line on the guage, not sure how to bring up the range on the dash. Fuel light has been on for ages, hardly drive it. Thought I'd go to the gym in luxury and not a VW transporter

Hope this is educational at least! Lol

I put 64 litres in a 62 litre tank tonight!

That would be 62 in the tank and two in the neck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom