Ive got SLR brakes apparently

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rufman

Car
A160, zo6
Folks..my brakes dont catch until near the bottom and then its very sudden so smooth braking is almost impossible. Could be the brakes off a slr im told1 :D any ideas? Is it easy enough to do a DIY brake fluid change on one of these..i have a 1999 E55.

thanks

It is easy enough to do a brake fluid change.

First check for leaks on the brake system on all 4 corners.

Have you had any recent brake work done?

It could be a faulty master cylinder too.

thanks again..no apparent leaks and fluid looks clean and full enough.

master cylinder sounds expensive..any way of checking as i do have 12 months warranty so hopefully that should cover it.

cheers c55

You can check it by pumping the brake pedal with the engine off (until it goes hard) then put your foot on the brake pedal then start the engine and the pedal should fall a few inches. and "feel" normal.

I would start with a brake bleed though. Its the cheapest remedy. Make sure you use MB brake fluid or a good eqivilant. Its easy to mess it up to make sure you do it properly!!!!!!!!!!

Hope this helps

Folks..my brakes dont catch until near the bottom and then its very sudden so smooth braking is almost impossible. Could be the brakes off a slr im told1 :D any ideas? Is it easy enough to do a DIY brake fluid change on one of these..i have a 1999 E55.

thanks

I once had a car many years ago that had dual circuit brakes that would still work without fluid:eek: Well I unfortunately had to put that to the test when something flew up under the car and hit a brake pipe and I lost all the fluid. The braking then went exactly as you describe, right at the bottom and very harsh. It could be the master cyclinder not pressurising.

Changing brake fluid is a doddle. All you need is a ring spanner to undo the bleed nipple on the caliper, a clear bottle with a bit of brake fluid in, and a pipe to run from the nipple to the bottom of the bottle (so it doesn't suck air in).

And a mate to pump the pedal :)

Thanks for the replies...
master cylinder sounds ominous but ive booked it in for a brake fluid change too along with the transmissions fluid..£55 so will deal with it.

Would love to have a go myself but don't have the bottle..or mate..

cheers again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom