I've just sold the W124 estate...what shall I replace it with?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

IMD

Car
1997 SL500
Hi all,

Well, after 2 years of absolutely trouble free motoring, I've just sold my 1993 E220 estate. I need a fair amount of load carrying ability for work on occasions and its done the job brilliantly. It was on Ebay last week, but a local buyer snapped it up for cash, before the auction ended.

So, what are your suggestions for a replacement? I probably have up to £5500 to spend and my current thoughts are an A6 Avant, Volvo V70 (maybe the T5) or BMW e39 530 Touring.

I thought about a W210 estate, however I'm aware of the dreadfull rust issues, not great build quaility etc..so I'm put off of these really.

I'm not too fussed about fuel consumption, 30 mpg would be ok on a run and I want a classy, sporty looking vehicle if possible.

Many of you may shout "get another W124" and I am tempted, but I fancy something newer, with all the gadgets, improved safety and to be honest, something that makes me feel my age of 35. I've had enough of being called an old man when driving....probably didn't help the E220 being smoke silver!

Any suggestions?....

I possibly sound like a cracked record here but.......Saab 95 estates are very good value. The 2.3T Aeros are very robust, ironically more so than the standard 2.3t. Saab seats are also very very comfortable. 30mpg is also very achievable, 35 on a run.

But any of the above cars you mentioned look good to me, especially the BMW 530 :)

2004 Saab 95 Aero 71k miles £5k

Last edited:
well i think you'll struggle to get something as good as a W124. :p for that budget.

however a W211 estate is your best bet, but over your budget.

get a high spec 124 instead.

EDIT ; saab would indeed be a good choice. plus volvo. nether will be a match for the build quality though!! ;-)

volvo do a sporty looking estate i believe. the one the cops use.... V70 T5:

5ES.JPG

Last edited:
I possibly sound like a cracked record here but.......Saab 95 estates are very good value. The 2.3T Aeros are very robust, ironically more so than the standard 2.3t. Saab seats are also very very comfortable.

But any of the above cars you mentioned look good to me, especially the BMW 530 :)

The Aero is also more economical than the 2 Litre

You will get a very good 250bhp 9 5 Aero Estate for £5,500

Last edited:
Thanks guys for your comments.....I hadn't thought of the Saab estate to be honest...I'll have a search around and see what could be in my budget.

Any one else with any thoughts?

Thats true...depreciation is a killer. I know that £5500 isn't a great deal of money, however I don't want to lose a huge amount in 2 years of ownership. I bought my E220 for £2200 2 years ago and sold it for £750 cash, so that was bad enough for a cheap car!

Get a saab,and you`ll see how much you`ll lose in 2 years

Saabs do depreciate more than the norm but at the price level we are talking about here it wont be worth the issue being raised.

The 530 Sport was a dissappointment when I tried one, the engine had no grunt and it needed to rev to get anywhere, which didn't suit the character of the car.

I haven't driven an aero but the diesel was fantastic and incredibly cosseting and comfortable, very robust aswell.

Dave!

A mate has a Honda Accord 2.2 diesel estate. Seems like a well made car and the diesel engine is smoother than average I'd say. He's also comfortably able to tow a small race car on a trailer, so the power/torque look adequate.

£5k should buy a 2004 with 80k miles.

Other friends with Honda all rave about how good the dealer are as well.

Thanks guys for your comments.....I hadn't thought of the Saab estate to be honest...I'll have a search around and see what could be in my budget.

Any one else with any thoughts?

Volvo T5 build quality is as good as any MB, performance awesome and drives like a sports car. I had one from New and put 145,000 miles on it in just short of 3 years, never missed a beat, never had a spanner on it except for servicing. Before that I had a BMW 325i and at the time was travelling between Doncaster & Ayr every week about 270 miles, then running around Scotland all week car consistantly did 34mpg and when I got the volvo it took about 30 minutes of the journey as it would corner a lot faster on the Scottish A roads, still miss that car. :(

I had a V70 T5 for a while, then I traded it in for my W210! The Volvo ate tyres (and fuel) as well as having seemingly unsolvable gearbox problems - I wouldn't have another. The BMW is nice, but I was put off buying one because the load floor doesn't go totally flat as in the MB and the Volvo. I'm afraid I didn't much care for the look of the SAAB estates, but that's a personal thing.

I had a T5 auto estate a few years ago; a truly utterly awful car. Ate front tyres; guzzled fuel and worst of all had terrible tourque steer - it was a pita to drive.
If you are thinking Saab just save yourself some more money and get the Vauxhall badged version - called a Vectra.
A £5k 210 300 diesel would be a good bet if you can find a good non rusty one; or how about a 5 series BMW touring / Audi A6 avant.

I think more than half.

Let`s talk serious:How good is a car that has the same ugly shape since i can remember.I don`t wan`t start with volvos.All i know is that i`m a proud owner of MB

I looked at Saabs before buying the Merc, I just couldnt live with the depreciation!

Hmmmm. Depreciation. W210 E300td estate elegance. On the road at £43500 or so with extras like heated seats (a total waste of money: you need to replace a seat pad every two years at c. £400), leather etc. Traded in at 16,500 miles for c. £27500. Bought by us and rear seats added, total £30k. Now worth maybe £4-5k? Hmmmm. Bomb proof residuals? So the motoring press said whenever reviewing a Merc.

I was thinking of going the Mondeo Ghia estate route. In some colours and with leather you would not notice the difference, except in availability (as in reliability) and in costs of purchase and servicing.

Just a thought.

How much can you lose on a £5,500 car?
£5,500 in the end. Less £2k scrappage if it is still around then = £3500.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom