I've moved on..................

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JimGreen

Car
2012 Audi R8 V10 + 2017 Mini Cooper (John Cooper Works) + 2015 Honda Fireblade
After having owned 3 C63 AMG's over the last 7/8 years, I decided it was time for a change.

I loved every minute of driving and owning both W204 & W205 versions of the C63, all three being totally reliable, all mapped and one of the W204's being fitted with a Quaife Diff by my friends at MSL.

I'd reached the point of wanting something different so took the plunge.

My last AMG is currently up for sale at : https://www.auto100.co.uk/used-car-...emium-coupe-silver-automatic-petrol/id-36324/

So if anyone is looking for a totally pampered W205 with just 6k on the clock from new, and had a stage one remap by MSL, she was garaged whenever not in use and was never thrashed and has a total PPF applied from new, so not one stone chip.

Here she is at a local meet..........

C63 AMG.jpg

So, it was hard to decide on what I wanted to take over from such a fantastic car, and after many test drives and lots of research I was left with one option that fitted what I wanted in a car.

Here is the AMG's replacement.......

IMG_2049.jpg

Ooops.......... Better take the cover off................

IMG_2047 (1).jpg

Ten Cylinders of Excitement........... Loving it so far.

2012 Audi R8 V10 with 27k miles from new and 525bhp in stock form. An amazing car, and I love my German Engineering, let's hope she's as reliable at my C63's.

Very nice, enjoy yourself 😀

After having owned 3 C63 AMG's over the last 7/8 years, I decided it was time for a change.

I loved every minute of driving and owning both W204 & W205 versions of the C63, all three being totally reliable, all mapped and one of the W204's being fitted with a Quaife Diff by my friends at MSL.

I'd reached the point of wanting something different so took the plunge.

My last AMG is currently up for sale at : https://www.auto100.co.uk/used-car-...emium-coupe-silver-automatic-petrol/id-36324/

So if anyone is looking for a totally pampered W205 with just 6k on the clock from new, and had a stage one remap by MSL, she was garaged whenever not in use and was never thrashed and has a total PPF applied from new, so not one stone chip.

Here she is at a local meet..........

View attachment 123112

So, it was hard to decide on what I wanted to take over from such a fantastic car, and after many test drives and lots of research I was left with one option that fitted what I wanted in a car.

Here is the AMG's replacement.......

View attachment 123113

Ooops.......... Better take the cover off................

View attachment 123114

Ten Cylinders of Excitement........... Loving it so far.

2012 Audi R8 V10 with 27k miles from new and 525bhp in stock form. An amazing car, and I love my German Engineering, let's hope she's as reliable at my C63's.
Awesome. Both of them!
I also bought a similar era V10 R8 last year, but kept my E63. Interested to hear your thoughts compared with the C63...obviously a totally different car!

I love the sound of my 5.5 AMG V8, but the Audi V10 above 4.5k rpm is just epic... and redlines at 8750rpm! Not sure which is quicker...I think the R8 feels faster than it is, as it's closer to the ground!

Have you got R tronic or manual?

Interesting choice of alternative car to the C63,in fact they are very different,and of course you use your cars for high days and feast days,given the mileage of the C63 you have for sale,but where there are owners of C63's who use them for daily transport,there are I think not many will use a Audi R8,but I am sure you will rnjoy the new car:D

Interesting choice of alternative car to the C63,in fact they are very different,and of course you use your cars for high days and feast days,given the mileage of the C63 you have for sale,but where there are owners of C63's who use them for daily transport,there are I think not many will use a Audi R8,but I am sure you will rnjoy the new car:D
Very good point... the R8 is hopeless as a daily in my opinion!

She's R-Tronic, but i've got used to it, there's a knack which doesn't take long to master, you have to drive it like you would a manual car, let off the throttle as you do a gear change. I'd have loved a manual V10 but they're very rare and command a premium of at least £7 more than the R-Tronic. I went with this one due to the mileage and history.

Probably not a daily driver due to the fuel consumption which having said that, isn't much different to the C63's. I've always had a run-around for daily commuting (BMW E46 330ci), so the R8 will be used in very much the same way as my C63's, sunny days, car club events, trips into Europe and will keep me entertained tinkering in the garage.

The R8's did get a reputation which was a good one both at launch and even today saying that were capable of being a daily driver, but I couldn't afford the fuel......... LOL.

Rich764089 : Why do you say hopeless as a daily ?? When I collected the car from London and drove well over 200 miles home in at peak travelling time, I had no problem in the London traffic or on the famous M25 and had the R-Tronic mastered within a few miles. Visibility is good with minimal blind spots, certainly as good as in the W205 Coupe.

Last edited:
She's R-Tronic, but i've got used to it, there's a knack which doesn't take long to master, you have to drive it like you would a manual car, let off the throttle as you do a gear change. I'd have loved a manual V10 but they're very rare and the premqium is at a minimum 5k more than an R-Tronic, I went with this one due to the mileage and history.
Yeah, I actually like the R tronic although it has a bad rep. As you say just treat it like a sequential manual and don't flat shift or your clutch won't last long! I actually always use the shifter rather than paddles, it's a fun car, enjoy!

Yep, I'm the same, I keep it in manual mode 100% of the time, using paddles or shifter to change gear, always in sport mode, and suspension in comfort mode.

Once you've mastered the R-Tronic (Which I love too as it gives you a more involved drive/experience), but admittedly not good as the later S-Tronic in full auto mode, but who wants to drive a car like a V10 R8 in auto, I enjoy the involvement.

Last edited:
Once you've mastered the R-Tronic (Which I love too as it gives you a more involved drive/experience), but admittedly not good as the later S-Tronic in full auto mode, but who wants to drive a car like a V10 R8 in auto, I enjoy the involvement.
Exactly my feelings! I was slightly apprehensive I wouldn't enjoy it so much, but really like it. Surprised it gets such bad press tbh, but I think many expect it to be like an auto or dual clutch, and it's neither!

Only trouble is it is woeful for low speed manoeuvring!

Don't forget to remove the front number & place it on the top of your dashboard.

That looks really nice! I hope you enjoy your time together.
I have made the change from Mercedes to Audi on more than one occasion, currently to an A8.
I confess to have never driven an R8 on the road, but I did run one for M Sport in British GT in 2013, when we managed a 2nd place in only our 2nd race.
We were giving the team a little experience of tarmac racing (they were more experienced at winning rally championships) prior to them running the Bentley GT3 later that season. Your car really does have a real racing pedigree! This one had a racing, pneumatic shift dog box. Not ideal for the road.

IMG_0144.JPG

Lovely motor!! I drove one at a Fast Car experience day at The Three Sisters race circuit near Wigan, was definitely my favourite out of the 5 cars I drove on the day. :) 👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom