I've returned to MB after bad experience

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wraakian

Car
Mercedes E220 BEFF Cabriolet
I loved my E220 cabriolet but couldn't get my wife's elderly mother or my elderly father out of it very easily. Prompted by my wife I reluctantly made the decision to change to a top of the range Citroen DS5 hybrid which looked great! That was the worse thing I ever did! Firstly they stopped making them then I started getting real mechanical and electrical faults after 3 years, these caused the car to break down without with engine fault warnings and suddenly stop without ti.e to reach a safe parking spot and even the DS mechanics got stuck with it on 2 motorways in dangerous positions. Eventually after many repair bills, DS engineers took the hybrid offline and told me they could not fix the hybrid system. After months of the car being in the garage compound and my writing to Citroen HQ, I still had no compensation and they refused all responsibility for selling me a duff car. They told me it would now drive okay as a normal diesel? That only lasted 1 year then the electrics packed in altogether and I was informed my now 10 year old car was scrap. I lost a lot of money on it getting only £2,700 for it as a spare parts option. The car looked new and still looked beautiful as it was taken away on the back of a low loader. The worst thing I'd ever done was to sell my Mercedes and replace it with that DS5. I am now very happy to be getting a gorgeous 2018 C class 200 AMG cabriolet which I am getting a top RAC report on b4 I pay and collect it within the next fortnight.
Hopefully this car will give me a far better experience and we'll have a great long life together as 'Man and Merc, ❤️

My in-laws had similar problems with a Honda hybrid. They were all the rage about 10 years ago, before the technology was really ready, people were suckered in by the fuel economy. They are happy now with a little petrol 1.0 litre Jazz. Not as quick as the '63, but much more reliable than a hybrid.

I loved my E220 cabriolet but couldn't get my wife's elderly mother or my elderly father out of it very easily. Prompted by my wife I reluctantly made the decision to change to a top of the range Citroen DS5 hybrid which looked great! That was the worse thing I ever did! Firstly they stopped making them then I started getting real mechanical and electrical faults after 3 years, these caused the car to break down without with engine fault warnings and suddenly stop without ti.e to reach a safe parking spot and even the DS mechanics got stuck with it on 2 motorways in dangerous positions. Eventually after many repair bills, DS engineers took the hybrid offline and told me they could not fix the hybrid system. After months of the car being in the garage compound and my writing to Citroen HQ, I still had no compensation and they refused all responsibility for selling me a duff car. They told me it would now drive okay as a normal diesel? That only lasted 1 year then the electrics packed in altogether and I was informed my now 10 year old car was scrap. I lost a lot of money on it getting only £2,700 for it as a spare parts option. The car looked new and still looked beautiful as it was taken away on the back of a low loader. The worst thing I'd ever done was to sell my Mercedes and replace it with that DS5. I am now very happy to be getting a gorgeous 2018 C class 200 AMG cabriolet which I am getting a top RAC report on b4 I pay and collect it within the next fortnight.
Hopefully this car will give me a far better experience and we'll have a great long life together as 'Man and Merc, ❤️
Welcome home! Don’t forget to share some photos and try not to dwell on what happened. Onward and upward 💪🏻

A French car with extra complicated electrics is never likely to end well.
Your new car sounds lovely - the C class cab is a lovely thing.
Post up some photos when you get it 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

If you are not fully committed to the RAC report then I would suggest cancelling it and get the car inspected by a local MB independent. It will be cheaper and much better value.

If you are not fully committed to the RAC report then I would suggest cancelling it and get the car inspected by a local MB independent. It will be cheaper and much better value.
Thanks, it's all booked in and set up now, £303. I'm happy to lay out that amount however to ensure I get a completely independent and unbiased report.

A French car with extra complicated electrics is never likely to end well.
Your new car sounds lovely - the C class cab is a lovely thing.
Post up some photos when you get it 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻
Will do, thanks!

Reactions: Ted
Let us know what the RAC report is like please. I had a AA report done years ago. It had a lot of pages of content but was mostly generic data about the car and very little specific - it was also full of caveats and maybe this and maybe that. It did not help at all.

Sorry to hear you had such a tough time with the DS. Sorry to say i have zero faith in RAC reports. I had one done years ago & found it laughable. Total waste of money to be told stuff like the springs & exhaust are rusty yet did`nt say anything about a dodgy VIN plate & would`nt fight your case if you asked them to(long story). Maybe they have improved but in these PC days i doubt it!

I had a 99 Laguna estate & gotta admit as a family car it was superb....until day 4 when it packed up on the m40! AA took it back to dealers in wolverhampton bless em where guess what...parts not under warranty!....about week 6 same sketch. AA to the rescue again. After 1 year the auto box went & the warranty would only pay half of the £1800 think it was. Weeks later the box started doing strange things:mad: so i lost my rag with Renaults in general on the spot. I was a German car man before settling down with a family etc so......ASAP traded the Laguna for a 98 C180 estate with 16k on it which never let us down during our ownership. We kept that car till the rust bug got hold of it errr everywhere but that was 15 years & 155,000miles later & it NEVER went for a ride on the AA truck:). Someone then took it to nearly 200k before it died?

Like me you`ll be glad to be back in a Merc & i hope you have a great time with what looks a lovely car:thumb:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom