I've trashed my car

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simonl

Car
SLK230
I've trashed my car. I'm totally gutted. :( :( :(

Driving round a long bend this morning in rain. Hit a wet patch, lost the back end, overcompensasted trying to recover it, span and slammed into a crash barrier.

I've wrecked:
- front and rear passenger side wings
- front and rear bumpers
- front and rear passenger side light clusters
- passenger side wheels & tyres

also:
- damage to bonnet (hopefully get a new one and bye bye stone chips)
- roof system and boot lid look okay
- no glass damaged
- passenger door looks okay
- no airbags deployed - presumably coz no one was in the passenger seat.

Initial assessment by body shop said it'll repair easy. chassis okay.

it's going to be off the road for about 6 weeks.

this year has been terrible for me car-wise. i just feel numb. :( :( :(

I'm really sorry to hear that ....more importantly, are you OK?

Really sorry to hear that Simon, I know how much you love that car.

Gutted, what else bad has happened 2 your car this year?

:crazy: :( :( :(

Simon,
Sorry to hear the bad news. If it's any consolation at least the damage is repairable and the car not a write off. How are you after the event? I hope your okay.

I know how it feels too see your own motor smacked but you appreciate your car all the more once you get it back from the repairers. Won't be long before it's the 1 year anniversary of mine being involved in an accident.

S.

cheers guys, i'm fine. everyone at the scene was really nice. a kind neighbour gave me tea and shelter till the RAC arrived. apparently i'm the 23rd car to do that little trick this year. even the police said i was unfortunate. i think i'm the one being hardest on me.

@bbw: my catalogue of disasters has been:
- electrical failure caused by alternator (twice broke down on m'way)
- two scratches whilst parked up - needed respray
- roof failed this summer on numerous occasions
- rear bumper got scuffed last week by someone - she'll be pleased - i need a new one now instead :p

i think that's everything. anyway, i'm sure 6 weeks will pass fairly quickly. i'm just dreading my insurance renewal next year. better start saving!!!

i swear i'm jinxed. no doubt the courtesy car will be a corsa or something - just to rub salt in.

i've even done all that advanced driving stuff so i should've known better on that bend. i'm gonna get sooo much stick at work.

anyway, i've cracked open a bottle of wine and i'm off clubbing tonight. that should cheer me up..........

sorry 2 hear this m8.

Try not to worry about it too much - these annoying things happen all too often, unfortunately.

I'm sure the car will look as good as new once the bodyshop have finished with it !

Glad no bones were broken.

S.

:eek: Sorry to hear of your misfortune,Lets hope everything is back to normal soon for you.

Originally posted by GDC200
PS. Where exactly did it happen coz I might know the road and then be able to watch out for it happening to me!

Head out west on the M8 past the airport and the M8/M9/Newbridge Roundabout. After the MB Commercial garage you get to a set of lights. Turn right and the road takes you to Kirkliston and leads onto the forth rd br. It was on that road just before Kirkliston itself. There's two very long sweeping wide bends - a right then a left. It's a 60. I had been following someone who turned off before the bends and so was building up speed through them. Guess I was a bit too eager. Lesson well and truly learnt.

:(

Glad to see you're ok though Simon.

It feels like I have cursed this forum with some sort of fish-tailing disease! Hope the car gets sorted fast! My insurance company didn't offer me a courtesy car, I had to actually hand over money to drive a fiat punto for a month. Oh the shame of it! :(

Any chance you can get the bodyshop to use facelift parts rather than the pre-face ones? Would be the same price but will update your car nicely :) . Would be cool to make an upgrade out of a repair!

Oh and where are the pics! :p

Originally posted by Shude
Any chance you can get the bodyshop to use facelift parts rather than the pre-face ones? Would be the same price but will update your car nicely :) . Would be cool to make an upgrade out of a repair!

Great minds think alike!!! I shall investigate.

Oh and where are the pics! :p

I didn't have a camera on me at the time. If I do get some pics I'll be sure to post them. :)

Originally posted by GDC200
.....is where you go down hill, previously passing chickens on the right, a mansion/golf course on the left, and as you go downhill you come to a newish roundabout with a new development on the left (tescos?) and house to the right then straight on up a hill to a shell garage on the right and the bridges on the right?

nearly. it was the other side of kirkliston.

it happened here:
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.s...=4&ar=Y&mapp=newmap.srf&searchp=newsearch.srf

you're describing here:
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.s...=4&ar=Y&mapp=newmap.srf&searchp=newsearch.srf
(just a bit further north)

Commiserations Simon, a real bummer but I'm glad you came out unscathed. Be careful as something like that can shake you up a bit mentally and you can get a bit of delayed shock, though I see by your forum title you've kept your sense of humour:)

Cheers
Andy

Simon, really sorry to read your sad tale :( :( but glad you are not injured.

On a really stupid note, my old man would never let any of us have a green car because he had this superstition about them being unlucky...

How many green car crashes in this thread? :eek: :eek:

Glad you're ok Simon. What a bummer though.
I had 3 green cars in 6 months and wrote them all off.
Mind you, I was only 17 at the time.
Keep us posted of any news of the possibility of facelift parts being used. Could be handy for future reference if they agree;)

Simon,

Don't worry I had a accident on the 1st of september.

Some clown and his very nice classic, another forum member was with me at the time and he can vouch for what happened!

My car looked very bad but it's now almost fixed - I have been going to the garage nearly on a daily basis and their work is very good, helps to know the owners ;) They exclusivly deal with Mercedes cars and have big contracts with stealerships in and around London.

I have had this replaced on mine:

N/S Xenon light (2 weeks old)
N/S Inner wing (old damaged one cut at the factory weld and new one seam welded)
Slam Panel complete piece
N/S wing
N/S Indicator
Front Bumper cover
Bonnet

A good thing that came out of this is that I get to have 2 scratches repaired that were going accross lower side N/S doors and this means that whole side is being sprayed!

My bonnet had a small dent that now gets repaired by having a new bonnet

The wing that was ordered I supplied them with a part number for one without a repeater hole as I have blinking mirrors.

The O/S wing hole gets LED filled and they spray the door too.

I have asked them to remove my boot lid spoiler (2 holes need filling) and also fix a small dent at the lip of the boot.

only 3 panels and a rear bumper remains untouched.... but I thought F**K it and might as well pay them to do the rest.... so car gets a full lick of paint....

So what I am trying to say is dont worry it usually looks worse than it is... maybee you can get your car facelifted ;) and other mods sorted!!!!! I know I would....

Main thing is your OK... cars can be replaced... materialistic...

I was on that road today.

Crash barrier def. won that one! You paying for it or insurance?

By the looks of the missing stretch of fencing on the opposite side of the road, they weren't kidding about you not being the first.

Anyway, hope you get the SLK fixed quickly

Bazza

PS take it your not going to the GTG in a Ka/12V Corsa then?

Last edited:
@Koolvin: Hopefully there's a silver lining to the cloud and I can get the facelift part instead. I imagine the cost is pretty much the same. The only problem would be the side skirts. I'll speak to the body shop in the morning. The receptionist said they get much worse in and then end up as good as new.

@bazza: it's gonna be on the insurance. repair will cost a few thousand I imagine. i had a play on elephant.co.uk today. put the crash in at £8k's damage and knocked a couple of years off my NCB. next year all my points drop off my history so the quote came in at £300 less than what i pay now. seems next year's premium may not be as scary as i first thought.

edit: oh yeah, i'll still try and make the gtg - even if it's in a corsa/ka.....hairdressing service will be available :p

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom